Toast Adam Goodes and Eddie McGuire

Remove this Banner Ad

Which countries would they be??? Parts of America are extremely racist, I dont recall us ever having sanctioned slavery for example, Parisians are also extremely racist towards Muslims where the Burqua was banned in public, the UK has many parts of extreme racism also and has a very strong EDL (English Defence League), I could go on, I dont subscribe to your observation but you are entitled to express it:)
I'm not talking specifically about political groups as such, moreso the general population, but even so Aus does have its elements too. Mind you my data set is quite highly westernised so comparisons with more homogeneous populations, where there is a greater level of racial politicisation, are going to be skewed accordingly.

Aus may not have had institutionalised 'slavery' but we did take generations from their families and gun down quite a lot of the natives from the time whites arrived. Recognising Aboriginal folk as native Australian Fauna up until the 60's tells us all we need to know about this country's attitude to its native population. This underlying pervasive attitude does not dissipate in a generation.

I'm not talking specifically about political groups as such, moreso the general population, but even so Aus does have its elements too. Mind you my data set is quite highly westernised so comparisons with more homogeneous populations, where there is a greater level of racial politicisation, are going to be skewed accordingly.

Aus may not have had institutionalised 'slavery' but we did take generations from their families and gun down quite a lot of the natives from the time whites arrived. Recognising Aboriginal folk as native Australian Fauna up until the 60's tells us all we need to know about this country's attitude to its native population. This underlying pervasive attitude does not dissipate in a generation.

Suggest anyone who doesn't believe there is a high level of racism in Australia visit an outback town.

Visited Wilcannia when I was a teenager, pretty close to apartheid happening, from what I saw.

I am sure it's worse in other places. So perhaps taking a step outside the tiny parts of our country that are densely populated will give an indication of what exists when you look beneath the surface.

White Australians can be & are subject to racism on a daily basis. I have experienced it. End of discussion. You want to try & dispute someone's actual experiences? Just accept it, it happens champ.

Oh you poor thing. Would you like some cheese with that wine?

White Australians are the biggest hypocrites in this country.

When the colour of your skin doesn't prevent you from going overseas and fighting in a World War but prevents you from having the right to vote and be recognised as a citizen of this country then you can have a cry about racism.

Oh you poor thing. Would you like some cheese with that wine?

White Australians are the biggest hypocrites in this country.

When the colour of your skin doesn't prevent you from going overseas and fighting in a World War but prevents you from having the right to vote and be recognised as a citizen of this country then you can have a cry about racism.

Not sure what you are trying to say here, technically aboriginals over 21 have been allowed to vote since the 1850's, or to be pedantic then the Referendum in 1967....... so unless you are over 45 years old is it really an issue and worthy debate point any more?

And I do agree with Jack, as a white Australian you are subject to racism.

Not sure what you are trying to say here, technically aboriginals over 21 have been allowed to vote since the 1850's, or to be pedantic then the Referendum in 1967....... so unless you are over 45 years old is it really an issue and worthy debate point any more?

And I do agree with Jack, as a white Australian you are subject to racism.

Life expectancy, numbers in detention, deaths in custody. Are these worthy of debate still?

Never have I ever experienced racism as a white Australian. Being called a white campaigner by a drunken aborigine is not racism.

Life expectancy, numbers in detention, deaths in custody. Are these worthy of debate still?

Never have I ever experienced racism as a white Australian. Being called a white silly by a drunken aborigine is not racism.

Every time I need to fill out a new government form I experience it, our teenagers go thru it during high school, yadda yadda yadda

As for life expectancy and numbers in detention you are absolutely correct, the numbers are shocking, but what can we do about it? It has been an issue for 50+ years and I don't see it being solved any time soon, throwing money at them certainly hasn't worked and cracking down on there liberties (alcahol control, welfare payments control) hasn't worked either.

I would also like to bring up the protests they did last year where we all saw the shocking scenes of the PM and Tony Abbot having to be rushed out and dragged into cars cause there safety was at risk, can't remember the location of the top of my head sorry, I havn't heard of 1 aboriginal get in trouble for that episode

There's no need to use actual evidence to back up your premise DR. No one else seems to be.

Europeans came to this country stole it have never paid restitution and ostracised the indigenous population to the point of them being marginalised in society.

F*** in the last decade we had a Prime Minister that wouldn't even say sorry to the indigenous people for stealing their children off them. Nah its all a level playing field and white people here get the rough end of the stick.

DarwinRoo you white silly you.

Every time I need to fill out a new government form I experience it, our teenagers go thru it during high school, yadda yadda yadda

As for life expectancy and numbers in detention you are absolutely correct, the numbers are shocking, but what can we do about it? It has been an issue for 50+ years and I don't see it being solved any time soon, throwing money at them certainly hasn't worked and cracking down on there liberties (alcahol control, welfare payments control) hasn't worked either.

I would also like to bring up the protests they did last year where we all saw the shocking scenes of the PM and Tony Abbot having to be rushed out and dragged into cars cause there safety was at risk, can't remember the location of the top of my head sorry, I havn't heard of 1 aboriginal get in trouble for that episode

Expecting you to pay your own way is not racism. If the government fully funds the education of the first indigenous kid to come out of a community and become a doctor/lawyer/accountant then that is a great thing.

I'd rather do something than not. We have people living in 3rd world conditions in our own country FFS!

I don't remember too many thugs from the Cronulla riots doing time either.

I had to check in to see why this thread was still open.... Now I see... I'd never before understood the plight of the poor old white Australians being discriminated against by those mean aboriginal folk who, themselves, are rarely discriminated against or punished for their bad behaviour. Quick, lets bemoan the aborigine's lack of progress and at the same time resent any efforts to help them. Great idea....everyone sign up.... Tally ho and hip hip hooray!

Never have I ever experienced racism as a white Australian. Being called a white silly by a drunken aborigine is not racism.

You really are naive DR, and Im not talking about racism towards 'White Australians' from Aborigines, though I'm quite sure that happens as well. Sure, like most discovered/invaded countries that encountered an Indigenous Race, that Race suffered huge loss and destruction, that was life back then, get over it. I grew up in an area largely inhabited by migrants and I suffered a lot of attempted bullying and racism for being a 'skip' as it were, and where 'Aussie chicks' were considered sl**s and sexually abused. I know what happened and what still happens. The truth is out there for those prepared to open their eyes.

You really are naive DR, and Im not talking about racism towards 'White Australians' from Aborigines, though I'm quite sure that happens as well. Sure, like most discovered/invaded countries that encountered an Indigenous Race, that Race suffered huge loss and destruction, that was life back then, get over it. I grew up in an area largely inhabited by migrants and I suffered a lot of attempted bullying and racism for being a 'skip' as it were. I know what happened and what still happens. The truth is out there for those prepared to open their eyes.

That sure is comparable to the centuries of persecution of the indigenous. But yeah get over it, hey thats just the way things were. Its not like persecution still exists today.

It's all right to tell a man to lift himself by his own bootstraps, but it is cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he ought lift himself by his own bootstraps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Live and Let Live.
To be tolerant; to enjoy the pleasures and opportunities which life offers and to allow others to do the same.

Give it a try; it's pretty simple.

That sure is comparable to the centuries of persecution of the indigenous. But yeah get over it, hey thats just the way things were. Its not like persecution still exists today.

I think you missed the point, but yeah, I'm over this topic........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back