Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Stare Down The Good The Bad And The Ugly GIF

On your marks, get set, post…

GOOD: These players have had a few poor moments but for the majority of the games they have been good, solid contributors.
Sheezel, Wardlaw, Scott, Larkey, Comben, LDU, Tucker, Ford, Simpkin, Logue, Goldstein, Bergman, Powell, Zurhaar, Stephenson, Phillips, Greenwood, Ziebell (Rd's 1-10) & Shiels.

BAD: These players have been a mixed bag this season, some are early in their careers and may show improvement, and some may no longer be an AFL level player.
Cunnington, Drury, Spicer, McDonald, Bonar, Lazzaro, Howe, McKay (showing improvement) & Curtis (although his had a few good moments).

UGLY: These players have had a few good moments but they are continually overshadowed by lazy/costly moments that lead to the opposition scoring. Definitely not AFL level players.
Hall, Turner, Corr & Ziebell (rd's 11-14)

Last edited:
Exceeded expectations: Scott, Logue, Shiels.

Met astronomically high expectations: Sheezel, Wardlaw.

Biggest bummers: Comben getting another serious injury, LDU appearing like the best player in the comp for only two games before enduring successive injuries, Tarryn needing a brush with the law as a wake-up call, our reliance on underperforming oldies with limited skills in defence.

biggest GOOD for me is we have a functioning and actually very damn competitive VFL side that works as a feeder for the seniors for the first time really ever. It's already making a huge difference, Wardlaw, Bergman, Goater and Curtis have all been able to slot right into seniors and immediately start contributing. Eddie Ford and CCJ were both able to come back in after long stints there without really needing any time to adjust. Similar situation with Tarryn Thomas, it hasn't really taken him much time at all to start looking like the guy we were all having a big crank over in 2021. It keeps guys ready to play when called upon who maybe aren't best 22 but serve as competent depth, like Howe or Tucker.

It really helps to not be forced to develop underperforming youngsters in the seniors, because sending them to North Ballarat or Werribee wouldn't teach them anything about how to play our gameplan, and we'd have no real control over where they played or how much TOG they got. We're going to see far fewer players taken with late picks who never look like playing seniors at all, and fewer Shaun Atley types who are drafted with elite traits but don't ever have a chance to develop them at AFL level.

It's also just really great to have our guys playing footy at Arden St. again.

My midseason grade would be a C-. I had reasonable expectations for us this year, but we're now tracking to fall well short of them. However, it's fair to say that there have been some unexpected positives as well.

A large part of the optimism for our turnaround this year would have been the return of Ben Cunnington and Tarryn Thomas. Cunnington's form this year has been the most tragic development. He was in career-best form in 2021, and now you have to question what's left in the tank. There are more important things than football, but as a side, we're still struggling to find an identity without Ben. By my quick calculation, since 2020 we are 3-44 without him in the side and 8-17-1 with him.

Tarryn Thomas has shown these past three weeks how much of a difference he can make. With Thomas now back in the side, we play a lot closer to our preseason expectations. For the rest of the senior group, the injuries and interruptions to LDU and Simpkin have hurt, as has the regression to McKay with his future at our club now in doubt. After the bye, if we can see the best of Simpkin, LDU, Thomas, and McKay, we will definitely start winning some games.

On the positive side of the ledger Logue and Shiels have both been great pickups, and Ziebell, Greenwood, and Goldstein are delivering some of their best football in the twilight of their careers. Larkey has had a breakout and is second in the Coleman, while Zurhaar can be frustrating but at times looks like a genuine matchwinner. Stephenson has also had a nice rebound and is on track for 30+ goals.

For the younger brigade, Sheezel and Wardlaw have well exceeded even our most wild expectations. With Phillips also enjoying a healthy breakout, our future is looking in really good hands. Scott, Ford, Bergman, and Comben, are also having very promising years.

The positive spin on this year is that the senior core (23 and up) has fallen short of expectations, while the younger brigade has exceeded expectations. As a side, we're desperate to see what winning looks like it, but in the long run, the form of Harry Sheezel is worth a lot more than an elite year from Aidan Corr or Luke McDonald.

Last edited:
Headline for me is how the younger players have lifted in the last month and the older group have somewhat let us down.

Logue and Shiels been good recruits.
What's going to make the difference is being able to make shrewd trades, sign free agents. This list build won't happen through the draft alone.

Unpopular thought… is it the backline or is it Blakey?

Blakey's CV suggests it's more us than him. But... you have to look at the line coach for any zone that seems to be stuttering.

Ditto Adams and the forward setup as I've raised also albeit they were statistically efficient vs the dogs.

Good: Brett Ratten stepping up for Clarko
Bad: The AFL's handling of allegations against Clarko
Ugly: The Hawthorn racism witch hunt

Good:

Staying in more games (so far anyway).
Several mid-range and younger players showing signs of both talent and "follow me" leadership.
Good output at various stages from most veterans -Ziebell, Shiels, Goldstein, Greenwood the standouts.

Bad:

Not finishing off our winning positions - WC and Freo saw leads eroded. Hawthorn, Sydney, * and GWS were all winnable games

Ugly:

Paying the price for 2-3 years of mostly washed out drafting (2010-15) and poor list management decisions (2018-21)

2023 has show what we have and we don't. It should be a watershed moment for the club, but will they act on it?

GOOD:
- Young Guys - Harry, George, Bailey, Will and Charlie have all shown a fair bit. Not there yet, but enough to suggest a decent future;
- Showing Signs - Coleman-Jones, Stevo, Eddie and Xerri all shown improvements and that they can be a part of our future;
- TT - shown how important he is and great to see his shown some level of improvement off field;
- Jack - His first third of the year was his best defending and he seemed to be a positive influence down back while we had a fair amount of chaos in the back half;
- The midfield and forward line look like the pieces have come together. Not there yet but the overall structure and personnel is getting close;

Bad:
- The skill level has been poor and the fact that those over the age of 25 have been the main culprits has been disappointing;
- McKay has been disappointing, as has Corr while both Young and Bonar have been pretty much absent through injury and form;
- Cunners demise has been a little sad, although with what he has been through and what he has achieved he should always feel proud of what he has done for this club;
- LMac has not been as effective defensively this year, but his ball use and decision making have been way worse and is bordering on a liability;
- Injuries to Goater, Charlie and LDU has robbed us of much needed excitement in the team. Goater has especially been missed as his ability to break lines is just what we need on the wing opposite Scott;

Ugly:
- The defence when defending have been ok considering opposition ball movement has been pretty good once we have worked through the defensive setup, but the defensive ball movement has been terrible. Our structure is good for 90's football not current football. Hall is the only runner we had back there and he butchers it. Ziebell is playing on reputation but has zero structural need, in fact his presence causes us to be less effective. If run out of the defence is not a priority this off season, good luck for the next couple of years;
- Our recruiting has been showed to be out of balance and I think is an old school approach to recruiting. I hope we get aggressive in our draft and trade approach and look to use value and need as our drivers;

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good - Wardlaw and Sheezal bursting onto the scene; Bailey developing his game; LDU's first 2 games

Bad - Currently on a losing streak of 12 games by an average of 6 goals each which will only get worse after the bye

Ugly - Brisbane game - all aspects after 1/4 time; First qtr v Melbourne

Given it’s the bye round, I thought I’d post this in a North chat I have with a few mates.

Something to kill 15 minutes over the weekend ..if you’d like.

_____

Mid season REVIEW & PREDICTIONS!

Firstly…
🔹 THE SEASON SO FAR

Most impressive first year player
The kids (first year in the AFL):

Brought in from another club (first year at North):

Current TOP 3 in the B&F:
Honourable mentions:

Which player/s have been a pleasant surprise for you personally:

Which player/s have been disappointing (from what you were expecting):

Pick 3 blokes to delist immediately:

Favourite moment on field:

Favourite thing off it:

Biggest face palm 🤦‍♂️ moment on field so far:

Player that has moved into your personal favourites this year:

Biggest thing on field that we need to address/rectify by seasons end:

Biggest thing we need to address/rectify during the off season:

From A+ to F how are you grading our season so far & why:

Secondly…
🔹PREDICTIONS

How many wins in the back half (& who are we beating):

Who will find form & turn their season round:

Final TOP 3 in the B&F:

If you had to put money on it, who will be delisted/retire:

Does Ben McKay stay or go:

How many goals does Larkey finish on:

Does Sheezel win the Rising Star:

Does Clarko come back this season?

Who wins the Brownlow:

Who wins the AFL Premiership & who are they beating:

Given it’s the bye round, I thought I’d post this in a North chat I have with a few mates.

Something to kill 15 minutes over the weekend ..if you’d like.

_____

Firstly…
🔹 THE SEASON SO FAR

Honourable mentions:

Favourite thing off it:

Secondly…
🔹PREDICTIONS

Final TOP 3 in the B&F:

Who wins the Brownlow:

Are your responses protected by IP laws MLB?

Firstly…
🔹 THE SEASON SO FAR

The kids (first year in the AFL): Sheezel & Wardlaw

Brought in from another club (first year at North): Shiels, Logue

1. Larkey
2. Sheezel
3. Goldstein
Honourable mentions: Ziebell, Zurhaar & Scott

Which player/s have been a pleasant surprise for you personally: Eddie "Mazda" Ford & Sheezel (didn't think he'd be this good this early)

Which player/s have been disappointing (from what you were expecting): Hall, Perez, Bonar.

1. Spicer
2. Hall
3. Mahony

Favourite moment on field: LDU's goal against Freo - Wardlaw Debut - Rd 1 and Rd 2 Wins

Favourite thing off it: Inner North doco,

Biggest face palm 🤦‍♂️ moment on field so far: Interchange disaster against the Swans - Anytime Aaron Hall has the footy

Player that has moved into your personal favourites this year: Phillips & Goater

Biggest thing on field that we need to address/rectify by seasons end: Forward 50 entries, defending transition, defensive mix (try something different please)

Biggest thing we need to address/rectify during the off season: Overall list profile (too many mid sized, skinny half foward flanker type operators and not enough KPD/F depth, development coaches and skills coaches.

From A+ to F how are you grading our season so far & why: C- Getting games into the young kids, we are more competitive against better times (bar a couple of games) - kids from last couple drafts starting to come on and show a bit as well.

Secondly…
🔹PREDICTIONS

How many wins in the back half (& who are we beating): 2, West Coast & Richmond - possibly the hawks but reckon they're showing a bit and could get us.

Who will find form & turn their season round: McKay

Final TOP 3 in the B&F:
1. Larkey
2. Sheezel
3. Goldstein

If you had to put money on it, who will be delisted/retire: Mahony, Hall, Spicer delisted, Cunners I feel will retire.

Does Ben McKay stay or go: He Stay

How many goals does Larkey finish on: 63

Does Sheezel win the Rising Star: He will

Does Clarko come back this season? Yes for the last 4 weeks

Who wins the Brownlow: Butters

Who wins the AFL Premiership & who are they beating: Collingwood over Brisbane

*GIF To sum up halfway point of the year
The Office Food GIF

Firstly…
🔹 THE SEASON SO FAR

The kids (first year in the AFL): Sheez with The Warlord a very close second

Brought in from another club (first year at North): Logue

1. Larkey and Sheez in a tie
2. Ziebell
3. Goldy

Honourable mentions: Scott for his last 4 or so weeks, LDU for the start of the year. Wouldnt be surprised if he comes back with a string second half of the year and ends up top 5

Which player/s have been a pleasant surprise for you personally: Bergman - Lovely kick, composed doesnt seem overawed and rush, unlike the majority of our medium defenders.

Which player/s have been disappointing (from what you were expecting): Lmac - Lucky he is captain or he would be dropped. Hall - Better not get another 1 year deal. Mackay - Just be better.

1. Hall
2. Mahony
3. Spicer

Favourite moment on field: LDU for 2 - the Goal against Freo and the push off of JHF against Port, we got hammered but this still made me laugh.

Favourite thing off it: Sonja returning from breast cancer

Biggest face palm 🤦‍♂️ moment on field so far: Interchange against Sydney

Player that has moved into your personal favourites this year: Phillips, already liked him but starting to show that form from the year before he was drafted, the fact that he loves the club so much is a bonus.

Biggest thing on field that we need to address/rectify by seasons end: Ball movement out of defensive 50

Biggest thing we need to address/rectify during the off season: The Backline. Speed and class by foot

From A+ to F how are you grading our season so far & why: C. Was expecting a couple more wins at this stage but either our form or teams I thought we might have a shot at have improved

Secondly…
🔹PREDICTIONS

How many wins in the back half (& who are we beating): No Guarantees but depending on injuries West Coast you think we would be a favorite even playing in Perth.
Again depending on form I really think we can take it up to the Hawks, Saints, Bombers, Tigers and the Suns and wouldn't be surprised if we pinch 1

Who will find form & turn their season round: Mackay, strong finish to the year

Final TOP 3 in the B&F:
1. Larkey & Sheez for the tie
2. Scott
3. LDU to bolt home like Winx

If you had to put money on it, who will be delisted/retire: Delist Hall, Spicer, Mahnoy, Dawson ( I would keep personally) Young, Bonar. Retire, Shiels, Ziebell

Does Ben McKay stay or go: If we get top 3 pick, see ya later Ben

How many goals does Larkey finish on: 59

Does Sheezel win the Rising Star: Yes

Does Clarko come back this season? No

Who wins the Brownlow: Daicos

Who wins the AFL Premiership & who are they beating: Collingwood defeating Port by 119 ;)

THE SEASON SO FAR

The kids (first year in the AFL): Sheezel

Brought in from another club (first year at North):The Goosestepper

1. Sheezel

2. Scott
3. Larkey
Honourable mentions: Goldy

Which player/s have been a pleasant surprise for you personally: Shiels

Which player/s have been disappointing (from what you were expecting): Jy Lmac

1. Turner
2. Spicer

Favourite moment on field: Beating Flagmantle

Favourite thing off it: McKay giving Weightman a rib tickler over the boundary

Biggest face palm 🤦‍♂️ moment on field so far: Corr wandering off leaving his man unmarked

Player that has moved into your personal favourites this year: Ford - late entry

Biggest thing on field that we need to address/rectify by seasons end: zone defence, filling spacecraft

Biggest thing we need to address/rectify during the off season: faster mids

From A+ to F how are you grading our season so far & why: D moving up from F

Secondly…
🔹PREDICTIONS

How many wins in the back half (& who are we beating): wc

Who will find form & turn their season round: not hopeful

Final TOP 3 in the B&F:
1. Sheezel
2. Scott
3. Zurhaar

If you had to put money on it, who will be delisted/retire: Young

Does Ben McKay stay or go: ambivalent

How many goals does Larkey finish on: Not enough

Does Sheezel win the Rising Star: yes

Does Clarko come back this season? Only if 100%

Who wins the Brownlow: Taranto

Who wins the AFL Premiership & who are they beating: Brisbane godees

Firstly…

🔹 THE SEASON SO FAR

Wardlaw will be the better of the two (well, I think he’ll be our best player at the club in 18-24 months) but Sheez has had an amazing start to the season for a normal player, let alone first year.

Love Griff.

Have been impressed with Shiels. The leadership & standards he has brought with him sound like they’ve been a great addition. He’d be top 7 or so in our B&F wouldn’t he? Great move by Clarko.

But yeah, Griffen Logue. So stoked we have him down back. Seems like a great bloke too. Few in here with a man-crush on him I know.

1. Bailey Scott
  2. Sheezel
  3. Nick Larkey
Honourable mentions:

Ziebell would be up there probably. Goldy has been good too. Zurhaar? Griff?

As mentioned, Shiels. I thought he would be VFL 3/4 of the year. I don’t think he’s missed a game.

Also glad that Greenwood has been pretty solid.

Not a surprise as such, but I’ve been happy with Will Phillips & his recent form.

CCJ & Ford worth a mention too.

The obvious one is Cunnington. He looks quite slow now, it’s sad at times. Noticed it a lot watching live at Mt Barker. He’s contracted for next season, so here’s hoping he can find some fitness & form again, but he’s no spring chicken.

Also, Tarryn Thomas. *, what an absolute s**t storm that poor Sonja has had to navigate through since she’s been at the helm & this kid has t helped. Here’s hoping he’s turned a corner & he can play great footy for us now (like he’s shown in recent weeks). He’s got Norm Smith Medalist written all over him. If the court case stuff falls in his favour & he has a good second half to the season on the field I’d be inclined to add a couple of years to his current deal that expires at the end of 2024.

Thought Tommy Powell would have had a bigger year. Do we have too many midfielders now? I know that sounds stupid, but I worry he will look elsewhere if he’s not getting enough time in the guts.

I wasn’t exactly happy about Luke McDonald’s 5 year contract he signed after winning the B&F on the back of 1 good season two years ago, or his recent co-captaincy election (should just be Jy), but he’s a *en liability as a defender. Shits me.

Comben injured again.

Finally, it looked like young Jackson Archer was killing it pre-season until he got crook. That can’t be helped, but I feel sorry for him.

1. Jacob Edwards
  2. Kane Turner
  3. Jack Mahony

Freo win out west.

Seeing us play in Mt Barker. Although we played like s**t.

Favourite thing off it:

Thank * we had Ratts able to step upon Clarko’s absence. Love him.

All the young guns re-signing. Clueless Cornes can shove his ‘mass exodus.’

Inner North docco in the pre-season was awesome. Hopefully they’ve been filming all season for something to come out later on.

Ziebell single handedly losing us the Essendon game with those two out on the fulls.

Sheez, Wardlaw & Logue.

Play 4 quarters & actually win a game/s. Beating a ‘good’ team would do wonders for both the team & supporters spirits.

Need a lockdown defender. Small forwards kill us.

Also, depending on the McKay status, probably another big defender.

I’ve lost faith in Corr as a best 22 as well.

C+

Lots of work to be done, but feels like things are starting to click. Given how many things have gone wrong off field too, I feel we are legitimately through the worst of it now. Surely…

Some bloody good signs from the kids too. We’ll have the best midfield in the league in 2-3 years.

Secondly…

🔹PREDICTIONS

3-4

Hawthorn, St Kilda, West Coast & potentially Gold Coast in the last round. Would love to beat Essendon too. Don’t rate Saints.

I reckon Darcy Tucker will have a strong second half of the season.

Tarryn isn’t really me going out on a limb, but I think once the court stuff is hopefully settled he could explode. Of course it could go the other way too.

Also want to see Goater back in the A’s & getting games at half back replacing Hall.
Final TOP 3 in the B&F:
  1. Sheezel
  2. Scott
  3. Logue

It won’t be 10-15 moved on like some would hope, but I think the certainties are Edwards, Perez, Mahony, Dawson & Young. Seems like the latter two, for whatever reason, have their papers stamped.

Gone.

Media driven award, so I think they’ve already decided it’s Ashcroft. For the sake of my 13-1 bet though, I hope he does.

Round 18 against the Hawks at Marvel.

Who wins the Brownlow:
Bont.

Collingwood will beat Melbourne.

Firstly…
🔹 THE SEASON SO FAR

The kids (first year in the AFL): Sheez with The Warlord a very close second

Brought in from another club (first year at North): Logue

1. Larkey and Sheez in a tie
2. Ziebell
3. Goldy

Honourable mentions: Scott for his last 4 or so weeks, LDU for the start of the year. Wouldnt be surprised if he comes back with a string second half of the year and ends up top 5

Which player/s have been a pleasant surprise for you personally: Bergman - Lovely kick, composed doesnt seem overawed and rush, unlike the majority of our medium defenders.

Which player/s have been disappointing (from what you were expecting): Lmac - Lucky he is captain or he would be dropped. Hall - Better not get another 1 year deal. Mackay - Just be better.

1. Hall
2. Mahony
3. Spicer

Favourite moment on field: LDU for 2 - the Goal against Freo and the push off of JHF against Port, we got hammered but this still made me laugh.

Favourite thing off it: Sonja returning from breast cancer

Biggest face palm 🤦‍♂️ moment on field so far: Interchange against Sydney

Player that has moved into your personal favourites this year: Phillips, already liked him but starting to show that form from the year before he was drafted, the fact that he loves the club so much is a bonus.

Biggest thing on field that we need to address/rectify by seasons end: Ball movement out of defensive 50

Biggest thing we need to address/rectify during the off season: The Backline. Speed and class by foot

From A+ to F how are you grading our season so far & why: C. Was expecting a couple more wins at this stage but either our form or teams I thought we might have a shot at have improved

Secondly…
🔹PREDICTIONS

How many wins in the back half (& who are we beating): No Guarantees but depending on injuries West Coast you think we would be a favorite even playing in Perth.
Again depending on form I really think we can take it up to the Hawks, Saints, Bombers, Tigers and the Suns and wouldn't be surprised if we pinch 1

Who will find form & turn their season round: Mackay, strong finish to the year

Final TOP 3 in the B&F:
1. Larkey & Sheez for the tie
2. Scott
3. LDU to bolt home like Winx

If you had to put money on it, who will be delisted/retire: Delist Hall, Spicer, Mahnoy, Dawson ( I would keep personally) Young, Bonar. Retire, Shiels, Ziebell

Does Ben McKay stay or go: If we get top 3 pick, see ya later Ben

How many goals does Larkey finish on: 59

Does Clarko come back this season? No

Who wins the Brownlow: Daicos

Who wins the AFL Premiership & who are they beating: Collingwood defeating Port by 119 ;)
How could I forget the Sydney interchange facepalm!

Firstly…
🔹 THE SEASON SO FAR

The kids (first year in the AFL): George Wardlaw, wasn’t expecting him to compete physically like he has done at times.

Brought in from another club (first year at North): Logue, obvious one.

1. Harry Sheezel
2. Jy Simpkin
3. Larkey, Goldy, Ziebell in a tie
Honourable mentions: Shiels, Logue & Scott

Which player/s have been a pleasant surprise for you personally: Shiels, been nothing short of fantastic and I really wasn’t expecting to have that much of an on field impact.

Which player/s have been disappointing (from what you were expecting): Powell and Archer. Thought they both would’ve have made greater in roads to cementing their spots in the 22 based off their pre season.

1. Jacob Edwards
2. Kayne Turner
3. Jack Mahony

Favourite moment on field: The Freo Win.

Favourite thing off it: Sonja & Todd Viney.

Biggest face palm 🤦‍♂️ moment on field so far: Port winning and ruining our death ride and subsequent draft pick.

Player that has moved into your personal favourites this year: after his last month, Eddie Ford.

Biggest thing on field that we need to address/rectify by seasons end: Outside Runners and Key Position depth.

Biggest thing we need to address/rectify during the off season: it’d be nice to have clarity surrounding the Clarko situation.

From A+ to F how are you grading our season so far & why: C. Showing some signs, but I thought we would have had more onfield success considering we are still getting games into the likes of Greenwood, Shiels ect ect

Secondly…
🔹PREDICTIONS

How many wins in the back half (& who are we beating): 2. West Coast & Hawthorn

Who will find form & turn their season round: Paul Curtis

Final TOP 3 in the B&F:
1. Harry Sheezel
2. Jy Simpkin
3. Nick Larkey

If you had to put money on it, who will be delisted/retire: Edwards, Young, Bonar, Turner, Mahony, Dawson all delisted. Hall & Cunners retire.

Does Ben McKay stay or go: Stay

How many goals does Larkey finish on: 61.26

Does Clarko come back this season? Who Knows

Who wins the Brownlow: Tim Taranto.

Who wins the AFL Premiership & who are they beating: Melbourne win by 163 points over Port Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back