Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast pulling out all the stops.

They've even purchased 200 acres of farmland where they'll build "Tongalaland" as a replica of Harley' s hometown.

It even features authentic remakes of the now defunct Milk Bar and bike shop Harley loved to visit as a kid. Talks currently underway with local actors to play "Milkshake maker (not that kind) Doris" and "kindly old Mr Bancroft the bike man" for when Harley wants to revisit his childhood.

It's Truman Show - but with a salary cap dodging flavour.
Presumably you get to Tongalaland by driving along Reid Highway.

Personally, I think both are tracking beautifully.

I agree with both of you.

They are tracking very nicely, very nicely but niether are a walk up start for best 22 round 1 as of today. Do they have the potential to be , 100%

This time next year we will know where the cookie has crumbled.

FWIW, I think our backline is , while unproven, a very exciting new look and direction next year!! WE can only improve.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm optimistic about both but they are also both not established enough that Hardeman can't take their spot this season if they don't lock in.

Bergman has played 13 games and Goater 10. They are beginners.

With Ziebell gone and Sheezel potentially moving up the ground there are spots back there without taking Goater’s or Bergman’s spots

Besides that I actually think that the lack of physicality with Jack gone potentially hurts us more than what losing McKay will. I mean we have, Extended Dawson, got Pink and Biggie to bridge that gap. When you look at our defensive players who is going to be physical? Luke? none of them really seem to have any c***t

Good point. I’d say we need to try and get forgotten man Archer in there. He has the physicality and intensity few on the list have
and needs to get over his niggles.

B: Archer Corr Goater
HB: Bergman Pink Hardeman

Looks even better without Luke down there

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good point. I’d say we need to try and get forgotten man Archer in there. He has the physicality and intensity few on the list have
and needs to get over his niggles.

B: Archer Corr Goater
HB: Bergman Pink Hardeman

Looks even better without Luke down there

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Forgot Fisher. I would go:

Lockdown small 1:Archer
Lockdown small 2:Bergman
Key Position 1:pink
Key Pisition 2 (intercept): Corr
Running HB 1: Fisher
Running HB 2: Hardeman

Defensive utility (bench): Goater

Let's be honest every player recruited is speculative until they actually perform over a long period..

I believe that both have shown the ability to play at the level (in a very ordinary backline) from day 1. Goater runs the lines and takes the game on which the modern backman must do, yeah sometimes he misses targets but so does 90% of our team at the moment. Bergs is so cool and calm in the frantic situation that he shows a maturity that I believe will translate to big games later on.

Normally you can tell if someone can at least compete at the level from a very early stage and I believe these guys have what it takes to succeed at the level. Will they be stars?.. probably not, but perfect role players in a dynasty team - yes.

Time will tell.
Couldn't agree more with your opening line. How many top 10/1st round draftees haven't been upto it over the years, plus there's no such thing as a sure bet in this game with injuries and how players react to being in a high pressure elite environment.

But also I very much agree with your last paragraph and from limited viewing I believe Bergman will be a player, like you say cool as a cucumber under pressure, good dash, penetrating precise kick, and for someone his size surprisingly adept in 1v1 situations. Just needs that fabled continuity. Goater has ALL the tools to be extremely effective off a HBF, but seems like a fair way off with his conditioning. Having Hardeman coming in to put pressure on these guys can only be a good thing as these 3 potentially fight it out for 2 spots. Or in an absolute ideal world they all come on together and push out all around them to form the nucleus of our attacking rebound game from HBF which has been sorely lacking since Spud finished up.

How about the team below you, only had one selection in that time and still had to wait another five before getting their second.
I honestly can not for the life of me understand where WC were going with their draft and list management strategy this year. They literally just sat on their hands. Are they dumb as f*ck?

I honestly can not for the life of me understand where WC were going with their draft and list management strategy this year. They literally just sat on their hands. Are they dumb as f*ck?

Yes, but they’re enormous and wealthy beyond belief don’t you know? Poor Harley has most of WA riding on his shoulders due to their club’s lack of imagination with rebuilding.

Lol, I honestly have no idea, My guess is theyre playing the JHF Russian Roulette strategy.
Reid leaves, and they’ll cry, we can’t build without help, we need the Gold Coast assistance package.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back