Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Link to Part 1: Preview - 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Tier 1
______
Reid
Walter

Tier 2
______
Watson
Sanders
Mckercher

Tier 3
_______
Darcy Wilson
Mitch Edwards
Nate Caddy
Ethan Read
Duursma
O'Sullivan
Curtin

Tier 4
_______
Joel Freijah
Angus Hastie
Will Green
Murphy
Windsor
Croft
Leake
Roberts
Tier 1
______
Jed Walter
Harley Reid
Colby McKercher

Tier 2
______
Ryley Sanders
Daniel Curtin
Zane Duursma
Nick Watson
Connor O'Sullivan

Tier 3
_______
Nate Caddy
Ethan Read
Jake Rogers
Darcy Wilson
Mitch Edwards

Tier 4
_______
Joel Freijah
Caleb Windsor
Oliver Murphy
Jordan Croft
Riley Hardeman
Clay Hall
Will McCabe
Arie Schoemaker
Archer Reid
Angus Hastie
James Leake
Harry DeMattia

Next Best
_______
Logan Morris
Jack Delean
George Stevens
Nathan Philcatides
Koltyn Tholstrup
Archie Roberts

October Draft Rankings

September Draft Rankings

August Draft Rankings

July Draft Rankings

Last edited:
In honour of the new thread, I'll repeat myself again and again and again;

Curtin at 2
Watson at 3

Get creative with trades/selections with picks 14 and 19.

Don't overcomplicate it.

Why thumbs down, Liam Boy? Who out of Curtin/Watson do you not like?
I think Curtin's very overrated and Watson will slide. McKercher and Sanders are both better prospects even if you think our midfield is too stacked already. If we want to take Curtin and Watson we should trade down.

Time to reel them in aga- I mean propose a genuine trade that we should do.

If we want Clarry and pick 1, trade pick 2, 14 and next years PP 19 to WCE.

Trade pick 3 and pick 19 to the Semons.

We walk out with Reid, Clarry and keep our FRP next year and 20.

Get Josh Walker back as KP depth.

I think Curtin's very overrated and Watson will slide. McKercher and Sanders are both better prospects even if you think our midfield is too stacked already. If we want to take Curtin and Watson we should trade down.

Fair enough. I disagree of course, but you're far from the only person with that opinion.

I think both McKercher and Sanders are good prospects, but I have to admit if we end up with them I'll likely be pretty disappointed.

Fair enough. I disagree of course, but you're far from the only person with that opinion.

I think both McKercher and Sanders are good prospects, but I have to admit if we end up with them I'll likely be pretty disappointed.
I can see the sense in not wanting to take 2 midfielders, in fact I agree. The only player I really 100% want out of this draft is Nate Caddy because generally I try not to form attachments before the draft. I think if we don't want McKercher, Duursma or Sanders (and we probably shouldn't, especially Duursma who would be like the 8th medium forward on our list) we shouldn't just ignore the fact that most other clubs will want one of those guys, badly, and rate them above the guys we want, and we should leverage that to get more draft capital instead of just taking the guys we want too early.

I can see the sense in not wanting to take 2 midfielders, in fact I agree. The only player I really 100% want out of this draft is Nate Caddy because generally I try not to form attachments before the draft. I think if we don't want McKercher, Duursma or Sanders (and we probably shouldn't, especially Duursma who would be like the 8th medium forward on our list) we shouldn't just ignore the fact that most other clubs will want one of those guys, badly, and rate them above the guys we want, and we should leverage that to get more draft capital instead of just taking the guys we want too early.
I agree

2: Watson
3: Caddy/Curtin

Is my preference

I get what you're saying. I even agree to an extent.

I think with the position we're in, though, we shouldn't be trying to get overly cute.

I do not think Curtin/Watson are reaches at picks 2/3. So I wouldn't want to risk trading down.

I love our current midfielders we have on our list and think they'll continue to develop extremely well. Now add some talent around the other ends of the field and we're laughing.

Curtin is not overrated. I think he is underrated around here. Sicily type. LOL EVERY ******* DAY. He’s a 195cm player, can read play and can cut you up to pieces on a rebound. Thats gold. But hey, you keep going for traditional footy players

Curtin is not overrated. I think he is underrated around here. Sicily type. LOL EVERY ******* DAY. He’s a 195cm player, can read play and can cut you up to pieces on a rebound. Thats gold. But hey, you keep going for traditional footy players

I agree with you about Curtin.

But... there's no need to get personal or hostile. None of this is a certainty. There's no telling how junior footy players will translate to life in the AFL. Look at 'slam dunk #1 pick' Jack Watts as evidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But... there's no need to get personal or hostile. None of this is a certainty. There's no telling how junior footy players will translate to life in the AFL. Look at 'slam dunk #1 pick' Jack Watts as evidence.
How is that personal? Its not personal. People are screaming for a “fast midfielder” who cant *in kick.

Not forgetting McCartin v Petracca. Sometimes the perceived riskier pick or the pick focused more on need pays off, and sometimes it doesn’t. No way of knowing.

Time to reel them in aga- I mean propose a genuine trade that we should do.

If we want Clarry and pick 1, trade pick 2, 14 and next years PP 19 to WCE.

Trade pick 3 and pick 19 to the Semons.

We walk out with Reid, Clarry and keep our FRP next year and 20.

Get Josh Walker back as KP depth.
We dont want that mess. Let Melbourne deal with that mess.

I get what you're saying. I even agree to an extent.

I think with the position we're in, though, we shouldn't be trying to get overly cute.

I do not think Curtin/Watson are reaches at picks 2/3. So I wouldn't want to risk trading down.

I love our current midfielders we have on our list and think they'll continue to develop extremely well. Now add some talent around the other ends of the field and we're laughing.
I don't think it's getting too cute. It's exactly what we did in 2019 with Essendon. We had our choice between Charlie Comben and Harrison Jones, and we wanted Comben but we knew Essendon rated Jones higher, so we used that leverage to get them to give us something and get their guy. It's the same principle. Whatever we can squeeze out of the sides around us, we should go for it. You never know what you can get with a few future 2nds and 3rds lying around.

Just to be clear, it's not so much that I personally think he's overrated, more that it seems like supporters and pundits rate him higher than recruiters. I don't think he'd be in the top 5 conversation if he wasn't the best WA player in a year WCE hold Pick 1.

Reid/Watson or Curtin/Watson

There's all these scribes who portray Curtin as some hybrid KPP but watching him, he's best posi is as KPD all day long, reads the play really well and rebounds like that Sicily type player although he seems to handball to players in bad posi's quite a fair bit so he's perfect in our back line.

Nate Caddy, thoughout the year l want to love him but he's inaccuracy just kills me..presents so well but the kid needs to spend the summer just kicking goals.

Just to be clear, it's not so much that I personally think he's overrated, more that it seems like supporters and pundits rate him higher than recruiters. I don't think he'd be in the top 5 conversation if he wasn't the best WA player in a year WCE hold Pick 1.

I can understand that. Again, I personally disagree. But your position isn't unreasonable.

I think the closer we get to the draft, the more uniformly you'll see Curtin ranked in the top3-5 prospects by the draft pundits. At the moment it seems to be only Twomey who has Curtin a little bit lower than that in his September ranking (I believe he had him 6th in his most recent one).

As a reminder though, last year in his September ranking, Twomey also had the following;
  • Tsatsas above Sheezel
  • Cadman at 5th (went 1st)
  • Jefferson top 10 (went 15th)
  • Davey at 15th (went at pick 45)
  • etc etc
Just highlighting that it's early and I wouldn't put a hugeeee amount of faith in Twomey's rankings at this point of the process. Use them as a guide, not a bible. :)

There's all these scribes who portray Curtin as some hybrid KPP but watching him, he's best posi is as KPD all day long, reads the play really well and rebounds like that Sicily type player although he seems to handball to players in bad posi's quite a fair bit so he's perfect in our back line.

Personally I think the better comparison for Curtin is Alex Rance.

Sicily - 188cm, 90kg
Rance - 194cm, 94kg
Curtin - 195cm, 93kg

Similar play styles too. Will be extremely proficient as that roaming intercept mark defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back