Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Callinan gives off Jeremy Clayton vibes to me. Yay/nay to those who have seen him play?

It’s funny how quickly the rest of a list gets forgotten about after a draft, particularly after the Hardeman write up from Ralphy. Our half backline and mid sized defenders is stacked with talent, Sheeze, Goater, Bergman, Fish. If he pushes past all them, we have got ourselves another freak.
Exactly what i was thinking it happens every year

Hi guys, Just curious has North given a draft review on why they took who they did. I'd be interested to see if there was any mention on why they passed on Daniel Curtin as the best defender in his draft class. There was reporting that Clarko went west for a wedding and spent quite some time with him whilst over there.

Thanks in advance

Hi guys, Just curious has North given a draft review on why they took who they did. I'd be interested to see if there was any mention on why they passed on Daniel Curtin as the best defender in his draft class. There was reporting that Clarko went west for a wedding and spent quite some time with him whilst over there.

Thanks in advance
The recruiters rated Duursma as a more talented player on their board, simple as that I think.

Thanks in advance
I understand that there was never an intention to select Curtin with pick 2 or 3, but in the event that trading up with our teens picks became an option (just as Adelaide managed to do) then Curtin would have been the target. And that is why Clarko took the time to visit with the kid in Perth while he was there.

It’s funny how quickly the rest of a list gets forgotten about after a draft, particularly after the Hardeman write up from Ralphy. Our half backline and mid sized defenders is stacked with talent, Sheeze, Goater, Bergman, Fish. If he pushes past all them, we have got ourselves another freak.
This is an example of where we as supporters get way ahead of ourselves.
Goater and Bergman are both very much unproven quantitites at AFL level. They could both make it or they both could not. So in the context of a journalist not citing two unproven quantities it's not so much an oversight but an accurate, unbiased reflection of where both those players are at the moment.

And I quite like both Goater and Bergman but if you look at it objectively year three for both of them is quite important in terms of how they turn out at AFL level and indeed whether they're long-term AFL footballers.

Thanks in advance
As the club did in 2022 they picked the best available talent according for their rankings at the picks they had available. The club said they were doing this in the lead-up to the 2023 draft as well. Not exactly a mystery.

This is an example of where we as supporters get way ahead of ourselves.
Goater and Bergman are both very much unproven quantitites at AFL level. They could both make it or they both could not. So in the context of a journalist not citing two unproven quantities it's not so much an oversight but an accurate, unbiased reflection of where both those players are at the moment.

And I quite like both Goater and Bergman but if you look at it objectively year three for both of them is quite important in terms of how they turn out at AFL level and indeed whether they're long-term AFL footballers.
Personally, I think both are tracking beautifully.

Personally, I think both are tracking beautifully.
That's where this board and posters on it can sometimes get ahead of themselves.

I think in three or four years' time one of them will probably be a regular and the other maybe not in the AFL system anymore. The point with both of them is it's still speculative at this stage. (neither has done enough for it to be highly probable)
But it's looking fairly positive.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the club did in 2022 they picked the best available talent according for their rankings at the picks they had available. The club said they were doing this in the lead-up to the 2023 draft as well. Not exactly a mystery.
just saw this and it clarifies it..they were set on McKercher and Duursma from quite a way out it seems

Last edited:
That's where this board and posters on it can sometimes get ahead of themselves. Neither player has exceeded expectations to date and the improvement from year one to year two was minimal. Goater's disposal is a concern as well.

I think in three or four years' time one of them will probably be a regular and the other maybe not in the AFL system anymore. The point with both of them is it's still very speculative at this stage.

On here we tend to think all of our draftees are tracking well and dominating, future 200 gamer etc.. until they're delisted.
Probably the same on every other clubs board but we need to be more realistic with our appraisals.
Let's be honest every player recruited is speculative until they actually perform over a long period..

I believe that both have shown the ability to play at the level (in a very ordinary backline) from day 1. Goater runs the lines and takes the game on which the modern backman must do, yeah sometimes he misses targets but so does 90% of our team at the moment. Bergs is so cool and calm in the frantic situation that he shows a maturity that I believe will translate to big games later on.

Normally you can tell if someone can at least compete at the level from a very early stage and I believe these guys have what it takes to succeed at the level. Will they be stars?.. probably not, but perfect role players in a dynasty team - yes.

Time will tell.

Let's be honest every player recruited is speculative until they actually perform over a long period..

I believe that both have shown the ability to play at the level (in a very ordinary backline) from day 1. Goater runs the lines and takes the game on which the modern backman must do, yeah sometimes he misses targets but so does 90% of our team at the moment. Bergs is so cool and calm in the frantic situation that he shows a maturity that I believe will translate to big games later on.

Normally you can tell if someone can at least compete at the level from a very early stage and I believe these guys have what it takes to succeed at the level. Will they be stars?.. probably not, but perfect role players in a dynasty team - yes.

Time will tell.
yeah mate, I'm positive on them it's just that I understand that a non-north fan would exclude them from analysis in terms of key assets at this stage.

both were draftees post pick 20 weren't they? if one of them played 200 games it would be a success in terms of drafting.

yeah mate, I'm positive on them it's just that I understand that a non-north fan would exclude them from analysis in terms of key assets at this stage.

both were draftees post pick 20 weren't they? if one of them played 200 games it would be a success in terms of drafting.
100%

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

West Coast pulling out all the stops.

They've even purchased 200 acres of farmland where they'll build "Tongalaland" as a replica of Harley' s hometown.

It features authentic remakes of the now defunct Milk Bar and bike shop Harley loved to visit as a kid. Talks currently underway with local actors to play "Milkshake maker (not that kind) Doris" and "kindly old Mr Bancroft the bike man" for when Harley wants to revisit his childhood.

It's Truman Show - but with a salary cap dodging flavour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back