1/4 season review: Expected ladder position and wins

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 16, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As we put in another miserable performance and the honeymoon period of 2-0 now long gone, I was wondering where everyone's expectations are at now that we are 1/4 through the year. We thought we got the worst of this rebuild/bottoming out behind us, yet we still are fielding scrubs like Turner who are getting paid 100s of ks to produce literally nothing. We made Mcdonald captain after 2 ok seasons following 8 s**t ones when he shouldn't even be on the list.

Looking at our upcoming draw, for the next 10 weeks I am really struggling to see where we will be competitive much less any win. We have some floggings coming our way. In all likelyhood we will be 2-14 before we meet Hawthorn again.

The bolded are matches where we are some chance I suppose only because they are s**t too. And maybe Richmond. That puts us at 5 wins. Will it be enough to avoid an unprecendented (in modern AFL) 3rd spoon in a row? Not even the GC or GWS finished last 3 years in a row if I remember right..yet we are a huge chance.

Melbourne
St Kilda
Port
Sydney
Collingwood
Essendon
GWS
Bulldogs
Adelaide
Geelong
Hawthorn
St Kilda
West Coast
Melbourne
Essendon
Richmond
Gold Coast

The biggest thing to look forward to seems to be Wardlaw's debut, and maybe TT coming back...

Last edited:

I predicted 1 win and bottom, figured we have had the better of wc, freo was a bonus.

I'm not certain of West Coast over there later in the year. Right now I'd mark it as a loss actually. Was just thinking best case scenario.

These next 5 games are going to be brutal. Either flag contenders or teams that have beaten us up for years. Prepare yourselves.

Anything less than 6-7 wins this season is a total failure on development, I stand by that and that's mostly not on Clarkson at all he gets a pass this year, that's on the list for being this willingly tonedeaf and s**t for this long, they don't even bother most weeks.

I cannot wait for the off-season, Clarkson is going to bury all these deadshits.

I'm not certain of West Coast over there later in the year. Right now I'd mark it as a loss actually. Was just thinking best case scenario.

These next 5 games are going to be brutal. Either flag contenders or teams that have beaten us up for years. Prepare yourselves.
Calling games that far out is really just a punt. So many potential injuries and individuals form fluctuations.

Have to agree there will be plenty of other floggings though.

We are certain bottom 4, and probably even bottom 2. That’s probably in line with realistic expectations coming off 2 wins last season.

We can raise our expectations when we stop getting over excited by below average players saying that they want to come to North, and handing out 5 year high paid contracts. Logue and Corr, imposters both of them, joined North for guaranteed games, more money than any other club would ever consider, and zero scrutiny. Taking the p155…..

People are greatly underestimating the impact losing Jy has on this side. If he gets back and plays consistently for the rest of the year we will definitely win games of footy.

Today was pretty miserable but I try to avoid melting too hard. Realistically this was always going to be a tough year and it feels for the most part like we're all feeling so bad because of the tease that was 2-0. If you don't see the positive signs I don't know what to tell you, everything was so much worse last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calling games that far out is really just a punt. So many potential injuries and individuals form fluctuations.

Have to agree there will be plenty of other floggings though.

If we were a middle of the road team I would agree, the odd upset win would happen.

But we are so far away from it, putting 4 quarters in against most of those sides still won't be enough. We're talking GC/GWS 2012-13 levels we are at. I know we caught Freo but that's been put in a bit of perspective now, given how they are traveling this year.

In 2020, we had a new coach, won our first 2 games and were equal top of the ladder. We then lost the next 4 games and were bottom 4, where we finished.
In 2023, we had a new coach, won our first 2 games and were equal top of the ladder. We then lost the next 4 games and were bottom 4, where we'll finish.

I've grown tired of our sustained shitness year after year.

Had us in for 6 wins. Wavering on that slightly, 4-5 looks more realistic now. But I take solace in the fact that we've found a way to win the same number of games as last year already, and also the fact that we had a run of ELEVEN consecutive games last year where each result was worse than today margin wise

Anything less than 6-7 wins this season is a total failure on development, I stand by that and that's mostly not on Clarkson at all he gets a pass this year, that's on the list for being this willingly tonedeaf and s**t for this long, they don't even bother most weeks.

I cannot wait for the off-season, Clarkson is going to bury all these deadshits.

By “bury deadsh!ts”, you mean like picking Turner or Howe automatically every week?

Preseason I had us finishing 15th with around 6 wins, and despite the last two weeks I still think we will finish around than mark.

I'd like to see players like Goater, Bergman and Perez get more game time, I'd even take a few more losses like the last two if gives them the experience at AFL level.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what Wardlaw can do.

Wooden spoon again while other teams supposedly behind us in the rebuild overtake us and we sit here trying to convince ourselves that we will be great one day while Goldy, Ziebs, Cunners are still our best players and we still pick the likes of Turner and then pick over the carcass of another uninspiring loss against Gold Coast etc

takes breath

Still at 6 wins for me possibly 8 if we start to gel more , but looking unlikely at the moment . Surely we win more than last yr and stop calling Shirley.

happiness-laughing.gif

laughing-haha.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back