2023 Season - Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

• 6 wins
  • Percentage of 75%
  • At least one player in the All Australian 40 Man Squad (LDU)
  • More balanced game style
  • No 100 point losses (especially multiple)
  • To be able to see a win live in person
  • Beat *
  • Beat a Premiership contender
  • Win on the MCG
  • Larkey to kick 50+ goals.

6 wins and a percentage above 75.

I'd probably take that, more would be nice but I doubt that is realistic.

I know I’m going against the flow here because, in general, our supporter base is in shell shock and is completely brow beaten. However, I believe, as a unit, North have been underperforming since R2, 2020. In the past, we became so used to punching above our weight, we took it as a given. If Clarko can achieve the following, there’s no reason why we won’t challenge for the top eight next season:-

(1) Attract quality players during trade period - already happening.

(2) Stabilise injuries and unavailability - in the lap of the gods.

(3) Sort out our defence - already achieved.

(4) /Larkey/Comben combination up forward for 16+ games - the sticking point.

(5) Get TT, Cunners, Phillips, LDU, Jy, JHF on the park for the majority of the season - non negotiable.

Honestly, the only difficult one above is Comben. Everything else is what you’d normally expect out of any season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Watch the football world whinge if North make a rabid rise up the ladder .

Have to wait until after trade period, but we already have the following “new” recruits to our team next year:
Clarkson
Cunnington
Thomas
Phillips
Comben
Goater
Logue*
Tucker*
Prob one more (eg Hill/ Clark/ Bruhn)*
*TBC

That means dropping Ziebell, Turner, Mahoney, Walker, Dawson, Bonar, Greenwood.

We are coming from a long way back, but geeze these are massive upgrades. How far we go will come down to coaching, development and s&c. I’m expecting a slow start to quickly build during the year. I think we will be unrecognisable next year and 6 wins is achievable.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With 2-3 senior acquisitions to the starting 22 and a decent injury run I expect 7-12 wins.

I don’t know if it’s bias but I see talent on every line. Structurally we are missing a CHF and a CHB (hopefully Log fills that void) and we are generally too young, undersized and not fit enough.

With proper coaching and a good trade period, I think most of our short falls will be addressed and we will come on real quick.

Expecting Clarko to bring the best out of Powell and for him to become one of the afl top young players.

Expecting Clarko to bring the best out of Powell and for him to become one of the afl top young players.

🤣I’d forgotten about Tom. He had his “second year blues” this season, I reckon. He could be a revelation next season.

Would love to be able to go to games again with my son thinking we are a chance of winning! Sounds simple, but has been few and far between over the last few years with only a handfull of games you go to with a good chance of winning.

Simple expectation to be competitive, play with better system and clear visibility of what we want to become.

I’m tipping 8 wins and 60,000+ record membership.

The Brownlow reminded me that we almost beat Sydney and Collingwood so perhaps, maybe, hopefully we are not as far off the pace as we ended up feeling.
If the AFL are reading this post please disregard my observation. I am quite delusional. Early priority pick please.

If Comben steps up, TT returns fit and JHF pulls the finger out, and we have a good run with injuries, should be mid table and even positioning ourselves for an unlikely finals run

If Comben steps up, TT returns fit and JHF pulls the finger out, and we have a good run with injuries, should be mid table and even positioning ourselves for an unlikely finals run

We need an average of 3 kilos added to the majority of each of our players body composition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back