2023 Season - Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Strong leadership from our senior players, improvement in our young players & a clear consistent game plan.

That's what I want to see. I don't care where we finish.

If Clarkson, Viney & new CEO are able to implement a football program that facilitates those three things, we will win some games.

Agree. That would suggest progress.

We will finish low no doubt.

What amount of wins are you expecting? (hoping a different question)

5-6 wins. 16th or 17th finish.

Would like to think we go past W.C. Maybe Essendon but likely some other surprise team who falls in a heap.

Last edited:

I reckon if (big IF and I don't care as long as he is healthy), Cunners back and we have a fit squad I think 5 is achievable if not more.
I think he meant the 5th flag mate.

I'm thinking we can win 6-8 games and finish 14th. Get rid of the 100 point losses and keep the blowout games to under 60.

I think he meant the 5th flag mate.

I'm thinking we can win 6-8 games and finish 14th. Get rid of the 100 point losses and keep the blowout games to under 60.

Yeah that is correct and I apologize.

14th you reckon?

Yeah likely but I am hoping for more, yes I may be delusional....but Pies are now in a Prelim and we should have beaten them.

Hard to say until mature age trades are finalised however if we are to believe that the Noble era was a disaster from a football POV then I lean towards slightly bullish. I expect with a better injury run this team should be easily capable of pushing out of the bottom 4 at a minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a significant turnaround. Another year into a new S&C programme, another year of growth in youth after a particularly hard few cuts of the list, a few trades and a modern football plan - things could change pretty quickly. I still think 2024 onwards is when we should be expecting to get serious all going well, a lot to happen for that to occur still though.

I wouldn't consider finals impossible this far out, I wouldn't be putting my mortgage on them though.

Yeah that is correct and I apologize.

14th you reckon?

Yeah likely but I am hoping for more, yes I may be delusional....but Pies are now in a Prelim and we should have beaten them.
I had similar expectations this year and they got crushed nice and early in the season. I very much hope I can be proven wrong!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m curious and not being negative, but who do we push past if we are to lift out of the bottom four? I’m not saying it can’t happen but curious who you think we can overtake. Hawks? Adelaide are 2 years ahead of us IMO. Essendon have more mature talent than us but perhaps them? None of the current 8 I’d imagine? St Kilda? Gold Coast? GWS you’d expect to bounce with a new coach maybe or do they fall off a cliff with the exodus. Their young talent is pretty exciting though. Port? Carlton? There doesn’t appear to be the obvious s**t truck teams any more, so it will be interesting to see how we can rise and who it would be ahead of next year.

Not high.

6 wins. Competitive in nearly all of the 16 losses. Able to beat a couple of the better teams, and a couple of comprehensive wins.

Overall scoring capacity to improve. Always good to score 80+ with a couple of 100s and no sub 60s.

Improvement from all young players, a game style that is cohesive and attractive, and genuine selection integrity.

5-7 wins (8-10wins if we can jag the close ones) 16-14th on the ladder

Top 5 Brownlow placing for LDU
Top 3 Syd for TT
Comben to kick 30+ goals (Larkey, Comben & Zurharr to combine for 100+ goals)
Cunners to play 17+ games - top 5 SYD

McKay and LDU in the AA squad

Probably a reaching wishlist but all of these could happen.

Going into the 2022 season, I think a realistic expectation was to improve on our four win and a draw season and end up at around 6-8 wins. If you would have known about the upcoming form of LDU and McKay in advance, then you'd have assumed it was a certainty.

Then David Noble happened. His relationship with the players was untenable by May and we had the worst 11-week stretch in AFL history. If you look back at our 2021 Syd Barker, then you also realize that we had to deal with Cunnington's absence, Ziebell falling off a cliff, an injury-riddled year from Hall, and a year from hell from Tarryn Thomas. Four of our most important players from 2021, who combined for very little influence all year.

Our two-win year was a perfect storm. With Clarkson coming in, I'm not sure if we necessarily need to reset our expectations to that of a wooden spoon side, or if we can expect to continue along a normal development curve. That would put us at around 7-10 wins next year with our sights set on finals in 2024. It's a big ask to ignore a two-win year, but we're going from one of the worst coaches of all time to one of the best. I think at the bare minimum we should be setting our expectations ahead of what they were going into this year.

I’m curious and not being negative, but who do we push past if we are to lift out of the bottom four? I’m not saying it can’t happen but curious who you think we can overtake. Hawks? Adelaide are 2 years ahead of us IMO. Essendon have more mature talent than us but perhaps them? None of the current 8 I’d imagine? St Kilda? Gold Coast? GWS you’d expect to bounce with a new coach maybe or do they fall off a cliff with the exodus. Their young talent is pretty exciting though. Port? Carlton? There doesn’t appear to be the obvious s**t truck teams any more, so it will be interesting to see how we can rise and who it would be ahead of next year.

I agree it is difficult to see who we push out of the bottom 4, but in saying that things can turn quickly (look at the Pies).

Now I am not expecting a Pies like huge lift, but I would certainly like to see considerable improvement and consistency.

How that looks in ladder position I am not sure either.......

Think many are on the same page. 5-7 wins would make me feel comfortable that the changes are working.

But no blow outs is key for me.

I can't remember a North team that gets blown away completely in like 15 minutes like this current group does.

Maybe older people than me would know more on that, but it's startling how we can be very competitive and then just fold up completely.

Was it Noble, is it our senior players, it's probably a combination of both.

Do we thin k Clarko will be involved with delisting's or wait another year on that?

I am not sure how much he has watched us to make those calls, but I welcome it if so.

Top 2 . Anything Les it’s a failure ..😎

Remove this Banner Ad

Back