Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

the point being what i said, that better combo wasn't guaranteed.
Going by what we know now

It would have gone the exact same order dees trading up to get Duursma

1. Harley
2. Colby
3. Walter
4. Duursma
5. Watson

next is us at 6 and 7
2 of caddy, sanders and curtin we’d get 2 of these instead of Duursma

Yep edited in for hawks pick of watson

So at 6 and 7 we get 2 of sanders, caddy and curtin
yep, i would've taken both of sanders and curtin in a heartbeat over one duursma.

as i assume the club would have had they known at the time getting Reid was going to be impossible :(

also noting that the doggies offer to the suns was massive and could have trumped the three way trade anyway.

Deal misses Duursma & Watson.

Left with Sanders, Curtin.

Unless they went Duursma @ 2, then caught Sanders, Curtin at 5,6 to end up addressing all thirds of the ground.
I suspect this may have been our actual order: Reid, Colby McKercher, Walter and Zane Duursma. So unlikely we would have gone Duursma at 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This joint has gone through the looking glass.

Not only was there the normal proliferation of s**t and unbalanced trade ideas up to and through trade eon.

Now we are looking at hypothetical potential and unbalanced trades retrospectively.

It wouldn't of been just 3 for 5 and 6.

It would have been something like 3, 15 and PP23/24 for 5 and 6.

With Mel's giving up something like F1/14 and a couple of 2nd rounders to move up 3 spots.

Would end up something like...

Mckercher, Duursma, Goad, Dawson, Hardeman
V
Mckercher, Caddy, Curtin, Hardeman

Simplified:
Duursma, Dawson, Goad
V
Caddy, Curtin

On top 7 talent it appears break even in the simplest of comparisons, with Duursma and Curtin winning their prospective match ups.

The extra pick in Goad looks better in our hands now though.

And in more speculative terms, something feels a bit off with a Curtin. Keen to see how his career at Adelaide pans out.

Last edited:
Nah Brady wasn't on the phone during a live broadcast so I can only conclude he was "doing nothing" (this is a sarcasm). Hope those who ranted during the draft comprehend just how many things are up in the air with the deals that are dicussed.

Last edited:
How anyone can complain after our spectacular Draft is quite disappointing, on many levels, several years ago when we were finishing middle of the ladder, I remember thinking we need some top end talent to be like we were in the 70s and 90s and that we were going to have to draft very wisely when we do. I knew we're going to also have to take the pain and absorb it, but at the end of the journey, if done correctly, it would be worth it in spades. Yes my favourite in Nick {the wizard} Watson wasn't in our play but the lads chosen instead, lets just say I'm ecstatic! Remember also, that during those years, how a lot of us wished we could of had picks in the top 4 players in the Draft but only dreamed of getting players like that! Now I know the reason we're getting these players is because the last 4 years our talent level has not been up to scratch but I feel some people are like, spoilt and now we're saying to ourselves, no, lets get out of the top 4 players for extra picks when the guns are right there for us to take, sometimes we forget what it was like to only have a couple of top young players at the club. At the end of the day, no matter what we all think, we are all North Melbourne supporters and want what is best for the club. The choice has been made, end of story, now we back these young ROOS in and go get "em" and show the rest of the footy world there are no ifs and no buts, we are coming for you like a great white shark and you better be ready.
disappointed taylor swift GIF

Last edited:
Nah Brady wasn't on the phone during a live broadcast so I can only conclude he was "doing nothing". Hope those who ranted during the draft comprehend just how many things are up in the air with the deals that are dicussed.
nah most certainly was not doing nothing i saw him on the phone throwing away a pick 48 for a future 4th

nah most certainly was not doing nothing i saw him on the phone throwing away a pick 48 for a future 4th
There were a bunch of other people in the room who were also part of that decision so don't just blame Brady. You don't think the pick was shopped to all the other teams the night before if it became live? If the Saints wanted the pick they would've picked up the phone and I'm sure there'd be some sort of messaging app all the teams use. I would love to hear from the Saints about that GWS deal.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back