Player Watch Adam Oxley (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the odds are against it and it might just come down to how he plays this week and for the rest of the season
I'd suggest, the only reason he is playing is because we have hit the bottom of the barrel in relation to defenders
IMO, he will play a very restricted "team role" and we will get to say...thank you for your service

Oxley been emergency a few times, and has been playing pretty well in the VFL (averaging 20.36 disposals and 5.50 marks per game), so it's not entirely out of the blue. It's pretty clear he's not best 22-26 at all though, when everyone is fit.

Obviously it hasn't hurt us too badly, but it's kind of disappointing how he's fallen away over time, after looking like circa 2015 he might be a decent player going forward.

Am I wrong, or was there word around that his drop-off is largely of his own doing, in terms of poor attitude and work-rate?
What l can gather it off field that could be the problem, likes a good time is the rumour

I found Oxley incredibly frustrating at times on Sat, notwithstanding a great goal & other positives around the ground.

However we have delivered wins with him in the team this year so he’s playing his role to an extent. So instead of bemoaning our injury list I’m trying to find the positives.

How do we think he’ll go if selected for finals?

I found Oxley incredibly frustrating at times on Sat, notwithstanding a great goal & other positives around the ground.

However we have delivered wins with him in the team this year so he’s playing his role to an extent. So instead of bemoaning our injury list I’m trying to find the positives.

He was all right on Saturday, although there were a couple of shocking clangers. But I thought he did play his role. It's only his second game back and it was better than his first. So, if he plays in finals, well that's where we are. He'll probably play his role okay. He has had a few excellent games in the past, so he is capable - but he's a bit slow, obviously. I didn't think Mayne would reach the heights he has. Maybe Oxley will be the same.

I'd be dropping him for Howe asap. Saturday was likely his last game for Collingwood, and last game of his career.

I didn't think Mayne would reach the heights he has. Maybe Oxley will be the same.

Yep, this. TBH I feel so guilty about how I wrote Mayne off in 2017 & how much heart and quality performances he’s shown this year that I’m trying to not write off the Ox the same way.

Agree with your assessment. If he plays his role & is predictable to team mates his lack of pace & couple of clangers per game won’t hold us back too much.

Certainly did. The difference is Oxley is out of contract this year... whereas they were stuck with Mayne so they have had to persevere with him. And to his credit Mayne has reinvented himself.

Oxley gets delisted at years end.

Probably he does. He might end up somewhere else - but again, probably not.

Then again, if he has a blinder next week (if he stays in the team), he might save his career. Unlikely, but possible.

What if he ends up being a Premiership player? Would you still delist him?

He will NEVER end up a Premiership player.

Bookmark it.

Cost us three goals on Saturday......I would prefer to play Blair in his position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will NEVER end up a Premiership player.

Bookmark it.

Cost us three goals on Saturday......I would prefer to play Blair in his position.

You have to admit, stranger things have happened in 2018.

Oxley has had his chances. He has been at the Pies for a few years, and really should have kicked on a couple of years ago. His situation is totally different to Mayne’s. Mayne came to a new club and it could be argued required time to not only adjust and also, to find his place/role. Oxley has had no such issue, and I don’t believe he has missed large slabs of games through injury.

To be honest, I look at him and wonder what role can he play in the team? The only role he can play is that loose player in defence and I’m not so sure we need him to do that.

I do hope he gets picked up somewhere else. May be exactly what he needs, and possibly a new coach may turn him into a different type of player. A leading forward maybe? He does have god hands.

Oxley has had his chances. He has been at the Pies for a few years, and really should have kicked on a couple of years ago. His situation is totally different to Mayne’s. Mayne came to a new club and it could be argued required time to not only adjust and also, to find his place/role. Oxley has had no such issue, and I don’t believe he has missed large slabs of games through injury.

To be honest, I look at him and wonder what role can he play in the team? The only role he can play is that loose player in defence and I’m not so sure we need him to do that.

I do hope he gets picked up somewhere else. May be exactly what he needs, and possibly a new coach may turn him into a different type of player. A leading forward maybe? He does have god hands.

He was injured for a long time - he was on the long term injury list for about a year, because of hip flexor issues I think. So you're wrong there. His situation is different to Mayne in many ways. In one way it's similar: people wrote Mayne off (and were wrong). People are writing Oxley off. I think he could be a role player too - but it does seem like time has run out. So you're right there. For that reason, like you, I suspect he'll be moved on. He might get another gig somewhere. If Mayne was coming to the end of his contract last year, he too would have been delisted and probably his career would be over. It's a weird world.

That would probably be a first?
Yes it’s would, but the likelihood of him being a premiership player is very remote, but if he was who then get delisted instead

Yep, this. TBH I feel so guilty about how I wrote Mayne off in 2017 & how much heart and quality performances he’s shown this year that I’m trying to not write off the Ox the same way.

Agree with your assessment. If he plays his role & is predictable to team mates his lack of pace & couple of clangers per game won’t hold us back too much.
He is a turnover merchant. We delisted others for that reason. You can't afford players like him on your list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back