Preview Adelaide Crows v Brisbane Lions, Round 9, Sunday 12 May 2024 4pm @ Adelaide Oval - The Mother's Day Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adelaide is about to enter the Shadeau realm.
Harry Potter Lol GIF by Sky

Brain form apparently been pretty good down back in the 2's, but if desperate could at a pinch play forward as a sub in the last Q, or Wilmott push up and Brain play back? Great to see him get a game and hopefully more to come.
I think Fages has come out previously and said out of principle he won't make the sub a debutant. Morris of course last week was an exception but for obvious reasons.

So so glad our club was daring and went with youth over the fallback/easy option of an older "experienced" player.

I wonder if we can deduce anything from his highlight package they linked in the debut article on lions.com, it was of him kicking 4 goals playing as a small forward against the Swans last year. :think:

The other bit in the article I found noteworthy was >
The 11th of 13 kids ranging from their mid-teens to their mid-30s, Brain is one of eight boys.:eek:

When I went to school there was a family of 15 kids, at one stage they had a student in every grade, right through from grade 1 to 12, that was in a time of bigger families being a lot more common though ie mid 60s-mid 70s.

So so glad our club was daring and went with youth over the fallback/easy option of an older "experienced" player.

I wonder if we can deduce anything from his highlight package they linked in the debut article on lions.com, it was of him kicking 4 goals playing as a small forward against the Swans last year. :think:

The 11th of 13 kids ranging from their mid-teens to their mid-30s, Brain is one of eight boys.:eek:

When I went to school there was a family of 15 kids, at one stage they had a student in every grade, right through from grade 1 to 12, that was in a time of bigger families being a lot more common though ie mid 60s-mid 70s.

I think he'll be our HB with license to take kicks and attack. McKenna and Wilmot have to take Rachele and Rankine so Brain is free to rebound and take the game on.

I think they’ve genuinely gone for best available form in the VFL rather than a youth vs older player approach. It just happens our best performing guys are debutants!

Glad we are going for Brain. I think it's a stretch to say we are opting for youth given it took so many injuries. but at least we are not leaving youth on the table until last resort!

inexperience watch will be interesting again for the first time in a while.

We were pretty bad at AO last year. Very hard to feel confident. Crows are not flying - good win against carlton. Umps hurt them late v bombers but essendon dominated most of that game. port also kicked for goal terribly. they are going reasonably well but a bit flattered on the scoreboard.

if we somehow get up could see us being 6-5 at the by which is hardly flying but stabilised. At that point we would have answerh, bailey, starce, dev back.

Anyone else worried about Ashcroft? THere was the 'setback' he had over christmas. seemed to be murmurs he would be back by about now a few weeks ago. now he will play a 'reasonable chunk' in the back end of the season. i am not too bothered about his return date. But gee i hope he is not a diminished player. You don't get many gifts like a player of his ilk father son (apart from levi) would be bloody cruel if we never see his true potential.

That's incredible parenting - takes a lot of parent involvement to get a kid to elite level.

To do that with 13 kids - mind blowing parent energy and dedication. Hats off to them, I could not have managed it.

The one silver lining to these injuries is that we get to see a lot of younger lads debut. Coincides with a poor start to the season so it also means it’s not like there’s as much expectations either.

Lohmann has solidified a spot.

Sharp is looking good and will hopefully get more games.

Reville and Morris debuted last week and looked good.

Brain debuting this week.

Two players with less than 20 games and three debuts in the past two weeks. That’s not even counting Fletcher and then Ashcroft.

The other silver lining is that we are unlikely to finish top 4 which means our access to academy kids and F/S shouldn’t be impacted no matter what the AFL decide to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finished watching the Suns replay.
Fletcher looks like he could play anywhere as he fitted in our defense group really well.
Berry basically took the Bailey role of forward/midfield. Think he does the same this week.
Fagan mentioned Wilmot was to start on the wing until Starcevich went down before the game.
Therefore, i think Wilmot will be on the wing this week with the announcement of Brain to debut.
I was a little surprised by the Brain announcement but that allows the Wilmot move should that eventuate.

This should be close to how they line up but not how the team will be announced on paper.

FB: Jaspa Fletcher, Jack Payne, Ryan Lester

HB: Conor McKenna, Harris Andrews, Dayne Zorko

C: Harry Sharp, Hugh McCluggage, Darcy Wilmot

HF: Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Cam Rayner

FF: Jarrod Berry (F/M), Joe Daniher, Kai Lohmann

FOLL: Oscar McInerney, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Neale

I/C: Logan Morris (F), Cal Ah Chee (F/W), Bruce Reville (W)Shadeau Brain (D)

SUB: Lyons

EMER: Prior, Joyce, Fort

The implication of that is we're starting with 2 tall forwards. That would surprise me.

Great news if true.

Interesting that Lyons seems to have fallen way down the pecking order and surprised Prior gets a game, not really banging the door down after such a disgrace of a performance against Hawthorn last year.

But happy with the side, really excited to see how they go.

Morris confirmed as sub.

CROWS

B:
D.Curtin, J.Butts, C.Jones

HB: J.Worrell, M.Keane, M.Michalanney

C: M.Hinge, J.Soligo, J.Dawson - C

HF: L.Sholl, T.Walker, J.Rachele

F: E.Himmelberg, D.Fogarty, I.Rankine

FOLL: R.O’Brien, R.Laird, B.Keays

I/C: Matt Crouch, Luke Nankervis, Brodie Smith, Brayden Cook, Ned McHenry

IN: Nil

OUT: Nil

It's been forced upon us but I am genuinely excited to see how we go with this mix of youth and experience. It's been such a stable team for so long the reality is we have no idea if we have genuine depth or not.

For me the pass mark will be effort and enthusiasm. I will take a loss if we show spirit and courage because this game really will be a bit of an ask I think. But if last week is a guide you can see the lift it gives the more experienced guys as well.

I hope the new guys grab this with both hands because for some it will be a small window... it's a great chance to bang the door down but and make Fages take notice. Who knows what the team will look like by years end!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back