Autopsy AFL 2016 - Round 6 - What you liked, learnt or hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

point I was trying to make was that they wont be bottom dwellers over the coming years like some people may have thought
I get what you're talking about. There have been plenty who reckon we're yet to bottom-out and will do so when the likes of Riewoldt, Montagna, Fisher and Dempster retire.

Thing is, we've been planning/preparing for this for years and by the time that happens (over the next 3-4 years, IMO), all our young talent (including 8 taken in the 1st round of their respective drafts) will be much more ready to take over from them and their retirements will also open up a heap of cap space, which gives us the opportunity to immediately replace them with someone of high quality from another club. So I reckon the chance of us going all the way back to the bottom of the ladder is about 0%.

Last edited:
Cotchin and Martin are good players, but they really lack consistency. As a neutral, they appear to play well when the game is going there way, but as soon as the tide turns against them they go missing.
Martin is playing at the wrong time, not his fault. With the new out of bounds interpretations, the stoppage players are not getting what they used to. His work at the stoppages was excellent. He'll adjust. His family issues aren't helping, I'm sure.

* GWS are getting scary in 2016, they will be utterly terrifying from 2017 on.
* Melbourne still have the mentality of a loser....getting carried away with one or two wins.
* Saints will worry every team that's a little slow or plays a zone-off defence. Cut Melbourne to pieces exactly the same way they did to Collingwood.
* Kersten looks so much better with two talls in Geelong's forward half.
* For the first time in years, Hawthorn appear to NOT like physical pressure. Geelong and now GWS have made them look like shaky, fumbly-bumbly rookies.
* Tom Boyd is crucial to the Dogs' structure. Stringer and Bont are great players, but they aren't key forwards.
* Brisbane are well outclassed by the better teams, but you can't question that they are having a dip and playing a pretty good brand of footy. A few teams could learn from them.

If the big 4 become the bottom 4 and GWS (maybe Gold Coast is they can get fit) become the powerhouses...

Then the AFL will be looking down the barrel of a serious decline in revenue.

And they deserve nothing less for the bullshit they have given the clubs in non AFL states.

It's not the AFL's fault that Richmond are sh*t.

The coaches have realised that the game is now exciting and that the supporters have finally got what they want.

They have quickly rectified this problem and ensured that resume the defence lowscoring crap of the last few years. Coaches hate high scoring games because they hate the supporters being excited. It only took them 6 rounds to get back to normal so credit to them.

The coaches have realised that the game is now exciting and that the supporters have finally got what they want.

They have quickly rectified this problem and ensured that resume the defence lowscoring crap of the last few years. Coaches hate high scoring games because they hate the supporters being excited. It only took them 6 rounds to get back to normal so credit to them.
The North-Dogs game was an embarrassment. Both teams have been crying out for more Friday night matches, then they dish up that rubbish. Brad Scott may have been happy with the result, however he let his team down because the brand of footy that was played was absolute filth. Carlton kicked more goals today ffs!

The Big Melbourne clubs have an Advantage in never going to Simonds Stadium
I know we're not considered a big club, after all the s**t that has gone on with supposed big clubs I'm not sure what a big club is, but we get sent there every year and I actually don't mind it. I guess over the years it's grown on me, It's not a bad place Geelong.

Liked - Jesse Hogan not dropping his head for the day and setting a good example in working hard on a dismal day for the Demons.

Adelaide. Going to be a side going under the radar all year. Flag threat.

Learnt - GWS will play finals if they play football like that more often than not in 2016.

Fremantle won't play finals and will start the rebuild this year.

Hated - Melbourne (obviously). Two steps forward, three back. Can't be taken seriously. Another club destined to sit between 11-15.

Melbourne can't fight back into a game. A side that can't do this can't play finals. Soft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle won't play finals and will start the rebuild this year.

I think that's been pretty apparent for a few weeks now. FWIW the rebuild is already under way.

Personally I didn't learn or hate much from this round but I most definitely liked Alex Pearce pantsing Tex Walker. Got a very special player on our hands.

I think that's been pretty apparent for a few weeks now. FWIW the rebuild is already under way.

Personally I didn't learn or hate much from this round but I most definitely liked Alex Pearce pantsing Tex Walker. Got a very special player on our hands.
Look you've got plenty of upside. Pearce is very good, fyfe is fyfe, and you've got a good core group of midfielders. Need a ruckman and a good forward. Big test for Ross but you've got a decent group to work with.

What I've learnt is the league have created a monster in GWS that will frighten teams.

When will the recent minor premiers in freo win a game?

Hardwick will be under pressure for his position and won't last the year

Gold Coast first three weeks was a mirage and they've been exposed

Brisbane can be very competitive at home

Adelaide and Roos are top 4 material

Liked

Our win over the Dees, looked like being a repeat of our game against GWS where we butchered chances early and coughed up a lead but thankfully we finally got our s**t together and ran away with a comfortable win.

Acres having a breakout game and being close to BOG, hopefully that cements his spot in the side now after being in and out of the team.

Also liked Hickey beating Gawn, Membrey's 5 goals and Riewoldt's evergreen form, he looks like could play on for another couple of years.

Learnt

That the competition is wide open, there's no real standout sides at the moment with every team looking beatable. North are undefeated but they weren't that impressive against the Dogs, if we bring our A game next week I reckon we can be the first team to knock them off.

Hated

Inconsistent umpiring, so many calls are a lottery these days like the ridiculous new deliberate rule. I don't know why the rules need to be changed so often, it just makes umpires jobs more difficult, confuses the players and pisses off supporters.

If the big 4 become the bottom 4 and GWS (maybe Gold Coast is they can get fit) become the powerhouses...

Then the AFL will be looking down the barrel of a serious decline in revenue.

And they deserve nothing less for the bullshit they have given the clubs in non AFL states.

The AFL have gone overboard with the concessions they've handed to GWS, they're already building a scarily good team and will get another raft of top draft picks this year, they have more young talent than they know what to do with while other clubs struggle for young talent.

This hasn't been much of a problem so far as both GWS and GC haven't made the finals yet but when they do and start dominating regularly you can see other clubs getting pissed off about it. It just doesn't feel like a fair competition when you are up against teams that the AFL have spoonfed copious of amounts of talented young players to in order to guarantee that they will be successful.

The North-Dogs game was an embarrassment. Both teams have been crying out for more Friday night matches, then they dish up that rubbish. Brad Scott may have been happy with the result, however he let his team down because the brand of footy that was played was absolute filth. Carlton kicked more goals today ffs!

North

R1: Scored 107 vs 97 against Adelaide
R2: Scored 117 vs 83 against Brisbane
R3: Scored 136 vs 131 against Melbourne
R4: Scored 132 vs 101 against Fremantle
R5: Scored 119 vs 81 against Gold Coast
R6: Scored 61 vs 45 against Bulldogs

Total Score before R6: 1104 (220.8 points per game)

Bulldogs

R1: Scored 103 vs 38 against Fremantle
R2: Scored 93 vs 36 against Saints
R3: Scored 90 vs 93 against Hawks
R4: Scored 85 vs 49 against Carlton
R5: Scored 120 vs 67 against Lions
R6: Scored 45 vs 61 against North

Total Score before R6: 774 (154.8 points per game)

Bigfooty: Brad Scott's fault.

North

R1: Scored 107 vs 97 against Adelaide
R2: Scored 117 vs 83 against Brisbane
R3: Scored 136 vs 131 against Melbourne
R4: Scored 132 vs 101 against Fremantle
R5: Scored 119 vs 81 against Gold Coast
R6: Scored 61 vs 45 against Bulldogs

Total Score before R6: 1104 (220.8 points per game)

Bulldogs

R1: Scored 103 vs 38 against Fremantle
R2: Scored 93 vs 36 against Saints
R3: Scored 90 vs 93 against Hawks
R4: Scored 85 vs 49 against Carlton
R5: Scored 120 vs 67 against Lions
R6: Scored 45 vs 61 against North

Total Score before R6: 774 (154.8 points per game)

Bigfooty: Brad Scott's fault.
Umpires - free kick hawthorn

Liked

Jarrad Waite and North
Jesse Hogan in a losing effort
Freo rolling tghe dice with Tucker, Grey and Blakely. Pearce's job on Walker
Michael Walters in the midfield
The GWS win. Wowee, can see them beating Freo at Domain as well

Hated

Saturday night footy. The Suns did't fire a shot after quarter time

Learnt

West Coast's win didn't convince me. Basically won the game off 2 very dominant scoreboard quarters, that second and third term lapse is concerning and can't be replicated against the Cats or else we will see another 10 goal type win for the Cats

Learnt that Geelong are amazing contenders who all should fear, after beating Hawks (good win), Port, Essendon, Brisbane & GC - and losing to GWS.
WC are also the team to beat having mightily knocked off Collingwood, Richmond, Freo & Brisbane and having lost to Sydney and Hawthorn.
But North have just had a lucky run - only beating Crows, Brisbane, Melbourne, Freo, GC & Dogs. Easiest draw in the comp and not worth worrying about.

Perception is an odd thing.

Yeah this. Much rather have seen us flogged by 10+ goals, but looked good.

FFS, one game in 6 where we did not get a122 point average score kicked and you complain about one game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back