Autopsy AFL 2016, Round 7 - What have you liked, learnt and hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: Heeney. He's gonna be a force with Buddy upfront with him
Learnt: Top 4; Swans, Cats, Giants, Hawks.
Hated: Ablett having to sort the GCS fans out. Man has given that club a lot. And they have been crippled by injury.
Bet ablet has dreams about playing with the cats still to even this day

I'm indifferent about the Kangas, but I can sense that other teams are catching up to Kangas now - noticing their weaknesses. They will fall, sooner than later.

Two things in football are certain. If there is a game day thread, it will be full of people whinging about umpires.
If North win, there will be excuses as to why we're still no good.

To be fair we've been less than convincing in most of the wins, but still get four fifths of f*ckall credit.

Maybe, or they're pretty good contested ball teams, get more of the pill and therefore get more frees. Either way, we'll find out in due course.

The thing about this is that he might have been favouring the dogs, but if so then you'd need to accept that he was ******* terrible at it because everyone would just blindly point to him and say "17-1, oh my god he's corrupt!". It would be like someone point shaving in basketball by throwing their free throws into the crowd.

Anyway, if he is corrupt long may it continue. Might as well be the dogs getting the benefit rather than the hawks, eagles or any other team that are accused of getting a good run.
This could well be the most idiotic statement ever posted on BF. Take your 4 points and quit while you're ahead.

LIKED the dees. HATED umpires favour dogs and thier tactics are like the eagles by ducking into tackles . LEARNT. that my team collingwood a for the tip and should be put out on tuesday night for council pick up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two things in football are certain. If there is a game day thread, it will be full of people whinging about umpires.
If North win, there will be excuses as to why we're still no good.

To be fair we've been less than convincing in most of the wins, but still get four fifths of f*ckall credit.

Actually three, that teams' supporters who win in said games with dubious umpiring will spring to the defense of the umpiring on Bigfooty.

Do fans not realise that posters are having a go at the umpiring standards and not the team that benefits...it is only when said team supporters start defending umpires that they bring the attention to themselves.

But North's have looked as good as anybody this year.

Actually three, that teams' supporters who win in said games with dubious umpiring will spring to the defense of the umpiring on Bigfooty.

Do fans not realise that posters are having a go at the umpiring standards and not the team that benefits...it is only when said team supporters start defending umpires that they bring the attention to themselves.

But North's have looked as good as anybody this year.

I hate the inconsistency in the umpiring. It's pure madness. But people do let their passion get in the way of logic at times. Neutral fans can often be a good indicator I.e. All saying that the Crows were shafted, or about 50/50 on the last few minutes of the Saints v North game.

Liked: Heeney. He's gonna be a force with Buddy upfront with him

That's a bit scarey... I mean, doesn't Buddy have another 6-7 years to play on his contract? o_O

I hate the inconsistency in the umpiring. It's pure madness. But people do let their passion get in the way of logic at times. Neutral fans can often be a good indicator I.e. All saying that the Crows were shafted, or about 50/50 on the last few minutes of the Saints v North game.

I guess gameday threads aren't much different to being at the games in that regard....home fans hammering umpires from the bleachers is as old as the game itself.

Very rarely are fans neutral IMO. There are very few games I sit down to watch where I don't care who wins. I might barrack against a hated enemy, or I might hope a team loses because it helps my team's position, or I might just go for the underdog. Right away, I am leaning towards where my temporary allegiance has taken me. It's a competitive sport and we do like to back a winner, even if only in spirit. I find it very hard to sit back and just barrack for the skills of the game. I have been conflicted and switched my allegiance mid match before though.

The vibe during and after games is often wrong. You have to go back and look at the umpiring again (not just one or two of the stand out ones), with an educative approach to get a real feel for it.

Neutral fans are probably the main fuel on the fire IMO. They give validation to the passionate opinions of the affected fans. No doubt there are some howler umpiring games but they get added on to a pile of games that were thought to be bad, but were probably fine if you went back and checked it out without passion. Then that pile of games is held up as proof of some team you hate/hate to see winning being the beneficiaries of systematic cheating against teams you like/like to see winning.

Very rarely are fans neutral IMO. There are very few games I sit down to watch where I don't care who wins. I might barrack against a hated enemy, or I might hope a team loses because it helps my team's position, or I might just go for the underdog. Right away, I am leaning towards where my temporary allegiance has taken me. It's a competitive sport and we do like to back a winner, even if only in spirit. I find it very hard to sit back and just barrack for the skills of the game. I have been conflicted and switched my allegiance mid match before though.

The vibe during and after games is often wrong. You have to go back and look at the umpiring again (not just one or two of the stand out ones), with an educative approach to get a real feel for it.

Neutral fans are probably the main fuel on the fire IMO. They give validation to the passionate opinions of the affected fans. No doubt there are some howler umpiring games but they get added on to a pile of games that were thought to be bad, but were probably fine if you went back and checked it out without passion. Then that pile of games is held up as proof of some team you hate/hate to see winning being the beneficiaries of systematic cheating against teams you like/like to see winning.

You've got a good point regarding rarely being entirely neutral. It is just hard to gauge if it is legit poor umpiring one way all game or not without looking at the responses of those who don't follow either side. Even when I feel like I'm being level-headed during a North game, I'm sure at times I'm definitely not in actuality.

Looking back at a match after a few days is probably the best indicator, however I'm sure a lot of passionate fans who fume at the time won't do that, and hold onto their false feeling of robbery. It is BF after all, and wouldn't be the same without teams getting sledged for things they can't control.

Can only play who we play. So far hawks and wce hardest teams we have defeated so far and won both easly in the end.
We didnt get out of gear all game really. 4 weeks behind with training load and played 1 decent qtr of footy yet were a couple of kicks down halfway through the last, you won and won well but it wasnt a true reflection in the overall scheme of things.

We didnt get out of gear all game really. 4 weeks behind with training load and played 1 decent qtr of footy yet were a couple of kicks down halfway through the last, you won and won well but it wasnt a true reflection in the overall scheme of things.

So when Geelong were on their winning streak against Hawthorn and still playing gf's and pf's, what was the excuse then?

For this season, on what we've seen so far this, maybe it was a true reflection on the overall scheme of things. The ageing champions giving one last yelp against their greatest recent rivals.

Hawks = Cats of '14. Can still get it done against teams not in top 4 contention but struggle against the sides at the pointy end. They're like Mike Tyson when he got out of gaol. Still winning on reputation, opponents were beaten before they even got in the ring due to intimidation. Once more teams figure out that the Hawks aren't what they were, expect them to start losing more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back