Preview AFL 2017 - Prelim - Richmond v GWS, MCG, Sat, 4.45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. But usually not this salty. Nerves got you fired up?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

When I typed it I was just thinking it was a joke. (what little thought there was)

Too early in the day for the nerves to have fired up yet.

I'm interested in reading all arguments as to how Richmond will have a point of difference that can overcome last nights Giants.

Their forward line speed is going to account for nought against this mob.

One simple answer to that is , the Giants had NO opposition against the Eagles who folded up very early, yet they got well beaten away previously, where by Richmond beat the daylights out of an insipid Geelong, I 'd say that all the failure years in finals for Richmond that perhaps they are being under estimated right now, people expect the same and that they will conk out.

I doubt that, I really think they have the hammer in them.

Of course anything can happen. I would like to see them win a flag, them or the Crows.

I hope Geelong fall over for obvious reasons, they get looked after by the umpires who have given Danger and Selwood hero status from the umpire board, and think that any time something goes wrong Geelong need a free. I hope you don't think I'm joking!

I simply don't like the entity called GWS, good team , straight off the assembly line, hope the Tiges kick em in the bum!

Whats with you guys bagging people going to training?

Heard this a few times from gws fans

Some are shift workers, some take a half day. The notion only unemployed watch training js insulting to your own fans ffs
Do people still work these days?
Who would sacrifice half their life working? For someone else?

One simple answer to that is , the Giants had NO opposition against the Eagles who folded up very early, yet they got well beaten away previously, where by Richmond beat the daylights out of an insipid Geelong, I 'd say that all the failure years in finals for Richmond that perhaps they are being under estimated right now, people expect the same and that they will conk out.

Of course anything can happen. I would like to see them win a flag, them or the Crows.

I hope Geelong fall over for obvious reasons, they get looked after by the umpires who have given Danger and Selwood hero status from the umpire board, and think that any time something goes wrong Geelong need a free. I hope you don't think I'm joking!

I simply don't like the entity called GWS, good team , straight off the assembly line, hope the Tiges kick em in the bum!

Depth of quality is going to be the deciding factor and GWS are well in front.

Richmond need rain to limit the considerable skill advantage the GWS possess.

Depth of quality is going to be the deciding factor and GWS are well in front.

Richmond need rain to limit the considerable skill advantage the GWS possess.
Have you got evidence of GWS’s depth being ‘well in front’ of Richmond’s? Our VFL team made the grand final, their NEAFL team finished last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you got evidence of GWS’s depth being ‘well in front’ of Richmond’s? Our VFL team made the grand final, their NEAFL team finished last.

Simple weight of midfield numbers 6 to 2

1) Martin
2) Shiel/Kelly/Ward
3) Cotchin/Coniglio/Scully/Whitfield

Then it falls away

Richmond have a fractional edge in defence, GWS have the advantage up forward. Lobb & Nakervis cancel each other out.

Tag Cotchin, limit Martin to as many handballs as possible and this game is effectively over.

Last edited:
Break down the GWS run. Yes the Giants have great skill and transition but that is the first thing that breaks down in the cauldron of a final. Richmond keep it simple and adapt and can kick a winning score. Can't understand Devon Smith not playing. Named an emergency. Surely if fit he plays. Tigers by 30 points.

Our NEAFL squad consisted largely of our under 18 academy kids with our injury list this year until recently.. AFL clubs in the NEAFL use their AFL list and fillers. They dont have professional NEAFL players like the VFL. Our welfare manager Dylan Addison pulled on the boots at one stage to give the kids some leadership. I think getting permission from parents was an issue for intetstate trips.

Our NEAFL squad consisted largely of our under 18 academy kids with our injury list this year until recently.. AFL clubs in the NEAFL use their AFL list and fillers. They dont have professional NEAFL players like the VFL. Our welfare manager Dylan Addison pulled on the boots at one stage to give the kids some leadership. I think getting permission from parents was an issue for intetstate trips.

I don't know why you would even entertain the VFL angle. These sides are as transitory as a swagman.

It doesn't prove that Richmond has any amazing sort of depth, it proves that they have had an amazing run with injuries.

The best players in their VFL side are Miles, Lennon & Bolton and by all reports they are looking delist two of them.

Obviously the two leagues/reserves sides are not highly comparable, but the suggestion that your depth is far above ours is ridiculous. If your depth was far above ours, they’d be able to overcome those things and at least finish mid table. Your depth is a bit better than ours? Probably. Far better? Quite simply * off.

Obviously the two leagues/reserves sides are not highly comparable, but the suggestion that your depth is far above ours is ridiculous. If your depth was far above ours, they’d be able to overcome those things and at least finish mid table. Your depth is a bit better than ours? Probably. Far better? Quite simply **** off.
Different issue.
I am very uncomfortable using injuries as an excuse. I would suggest most sides wouldn't have been able to accumulate points to finish top with the available players we had earlier in the season though
Against the Eagles in Perth for example we had 26 fit players, and a few of the first year draftees were simply not AFL ready. We played 6 tall backs because it was what we had, although Himmelburg was a revelation in a new role. Luckily the Eagles were hampered as well with Shuey and Kennedy out.
Comparing list depth is hard, but I dont think * off is a reasonable assessment.

Richmond beat the daylights out of Geelong in general play but 25 min into the 3rd qtr still only had 3 goals on the board. Damn wall burst open in the last qtr as Geelong were so insipid but if they have that much trouble scoring again against GWS they'll be pumped. As for GWS it depends if they play as a champion team, given the players they have, or only a "team of champions". If it's the former they win easily. If it's the latter they will struggle alot.

Have a look at the class of individuals in each side, GWS is well ahead on that count. Luckily for Richmond they often play like a class of individuals alot more than a team because if they decide to play as a team you're dead in the water.

GWS are forever losing players that were initially top picks because they don't fit into the side.

Simple weight of midfield numbers 6 to 2

1) Martin
2) Shiel/Kelly/Ward
3) Cotchin/Coniglio/Scully/Whitfield

Then it falls away

Richmond have a fractional edge in defence, GWS have the advantage up forward. Lobb & Nakervis cancel each other out.

Tag Cotchin, limit Martin to as many handballs as possible and this game is effectively over.
Prestia? Add in Grigg, Ellis, Caddy and yeah it’s not as good as GWS but it’s pretty solid. And how many players are GWS going to dedicate to Cotchin and Martin? If both of those two are in the middle at once and you tag both, you’ll have one player actually trying to clear the ball. And there’s only been one occasion this year when Martin’s had more handballs than kicks, it’s obviously not easy to do, and on that occasion we won by 104 points. So maybe that doesn’t quite work. Also, our defence this year has been unreal. Rance, Astbury, Grimes. If you gave any club that they’d take it I’m certain. Probably slightly more than a slight edge. Forward line I’ll pay in terms of raw scoring power.
I honestly don’t get why you’re so certain GWS will win. If we bring the same pressure as we did against Geelong we’ll be pretty hard to beat. Granted, you might think we won’t, but even in all your confidence you simply have to give us a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back