Preview AFL 2017 - Prelim - Richmond v GWS, MCG, Sat, 4.45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different issue.
I am very uncomfortable using injuries as an excuse. I would suggest most sides wouldn't have been able to accumulate points to finish top with the available players we had earlier in the season though
Against the Eagles in Perth for example we had 26 fit players, and a few of the first year draftees were simply not AFL ready. We played 6 tall backs because it was what we had, although Himmelburg was a revelation in a new role. Luckily the Eagles were hampered as well with Shuey and Kennedy out.
Comparing list depth is hard, but I dont think **** off is a reasonable assessment.
As an assessment of the view that your depth is far better than ours, I reckon it’s completely reasonable. We didn’t get to the top 4 without our depth kicking in at some point.

Simple weight of midfield numbers 6 to 2

1) Martin
2) Shiel/Kelly/Ward
3) Cotchin/Coniglio/Scully/Whitfield

Then it falls away

Richmond have a fractional edge in defence, GWS have the advantage up forward. Lobb & Nakervis cancel each other out.

Tag Cotchin, limit Martin to as many handballs as possible and this game is effectively over.
Can't be serious, you're a flog

Have a look at the class of individuals in each side, GWS is well ahead on that count. Luckily for Richmond they often play like a class of individuals alot more than a team because if they decide to play as a team you're dead in the water.

GWS are forever losing players that were initially top picks because they don't fit into the side.
Umm derr
We had to reduce our list size every year since inception. Last year the list size and cap were normalised a year ahead of schedule. Has it occurred to you this might be relevant?
Perhaps it should be discarded because it doesn't fit your fantasy.

As an assessment of the view that your depth is far better than ours, I reckon it’s completely reasonable. We didn’t get to the top 4 without our depth kicking in at some point.
I get the post said your depth was weak and that rightly pissed you off.
I dont know your list well enough to have a sensible opinion so I'll defer to you.

Prestia? Add in Grigg, Ellis, Caddy and yeah it’s not as good as GWS but it’s pretty solid.

Therein lies the difference and therein lies the reason for the amount of drivel dedicated to peripheral intangibles such as crowd noise, pressure etc.

When you look at both sides 22 against 22, then you have to arrive at the conclusion that Richmond have the job ahead of them.

Rain would help, although it is not forecast to make a difference.

Gusty wind is predicted, but it tends to get nullified inside the MCG.

And how many players are GWS going to dedicate to Cotchin and Martin?

It remains to be seen. Someone like Scully has the armory to make Cotchin ineffective, if GWS choose to sacrifice him.

Targeting Martins hips would be a team instruction..

Richmond beat the daylights out of Geelong in general play but 25 min into the 3rd qtr still only had 3 goals on the board. Damn wall burst open in the last qtr as Geelong were so insipid but if they have that much trouble scoring again against GWS they'll be pumped. As for GWS it depends if they play as a champion team, given the players they have, or only a "team of champions". If it's the former they win easily. If it's the latter they will struggle alot.
don't worry about our scoring, if we play exactly how we played against the cats we'll win comfortably.

Miles and Lennon, is that part of your "aggressive reset"?

I know, you both change the subject, but you don't address my point.

It's a matter of, "Christ, he's right, better deflect and make this about North"

You and dean should take a leaf out of harrys book below. At least he knows how to formulate a fairly intelligent response and he doesn't duck the question

Most of that I agree with, but the 22 vs 22 is too simplistic. It’s how the 22 play rather than who the 22 are. Sure, on raw quality they are better, not much better, but better, however are they more likely to play as a better team? Will their team of champions be able to handle the pressure if we bring it (which I bloody well hope we do)? When sides have brought pressure against them this year they’ve lost. Will the crowd noise affect them psychologically? On the other side, has the loss to Adelaide and the subsequent chatter of not wanting it enough galvanised them and made them want it? Similarly will the crowd being against them help that cause?
There’s too many variables (on both sides might I add) to be so sure in a call.

- Pressure is not an exclusive Richmond trait and I pointed out earlier that GWS have the edge in most of these stats over the course of the season. Th e pressure thing has bveen overhyped.

- Crowd noise has some minor effect, but not enough to quell the skill deficit. It is just as likely to pressure the Richmond players if things get tight later in the match.

- The GWS side last week was much better balanced and is the prime reason I am very bullish about them now. Not just tomorrow, but next week as well.

Hence my reasoning that Richmond have the task in front of them.

Last edited:
I know, you both change the subject, but you don't address my point.

It's a matter of, "Christ, he's right, better deflect and make this about North"

Wot?

No secret on either

We dont want miles to go, but he wants and deserves a seniors role so 95% likely he will be elsewhere in 2018

Lennon id be stunned if anyone rookies him. There is a reason he isnt getting afl gigs

Have a look at the class of individuals in each side, GWS is well ahead on that count. Luckily for Richmond they often play like a class of individuals alot more than a team because if they decide to play as a team you're dead in the water.

GWS are forever losing players that were initially top picks because they don't fit into the side.
That's the popular theory and I 100% agree, but last night Sam Mitchell, current player (yes, just retired) and aspiring coach, who should have a fair understanding of the game and lists, said the Tiges have the better bottom 6 than the Crows, Cats and Giants I found that very interesting

This stretched around the oval. Great turnout.

21686234_10155746439198276_6227692682564022322_n.jpg

No biting at all.

Replying in a civilized manner to an individual with more salt in his or her makeup than a large serving of McDonalds fries.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
To be honest, GWS giants were going to play finals match at the MCG one way or another.

Didn't think it would of been Tigers at the MCG though. Was predicting Cats. Still... to GWS, this is more of a psychological test if anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the Tigers depth. Strange situation. Great depth in small forwards and running half backs. KPD's pretty good. Rucks good, but one injured hurts. Medium forwards, fantastic. KPFs hmm, right now we have one AFL KPF. Inside mids, pretty good. Outside mids pretty good. So, good depth in most areas, but not across the board.

VFL team is showing a heap of young talent. But not KPFs.

Right at the moment I would say that the RFC's real depth strength is 2 to 3 years away. Right now we are hoping desperately that Jack and Nank stay fit, cause if they go we are in a world of hurt.

GWS has depth across the board right now, and for the next many years.

Our team plays to its strengths. And that is working.

Hi guys

If I purchase a ticket from someone who's bought a ticket using their membership...

Will I have any issues at the gate tomorrow ?
I'm not a member btw

Hi guys

If I purchase a ticket from someone who's bought a ticket using their membership...

Will I have any issues at the gate tomorrow ?
I'm not a member btw
Are you talking afl membership? As a member of over 20 years I've never been asked once to show proof of membership or id. Go in where it's busy and you'll be right.

Umm derr
We had to reduce our list size every year since inception. Last year the list size and cap were normalised a year ahead of schedule. Has it occurred to you this might be relevant?
Perhaps it should be discarded because it doesn't fit your fantasy.

There's has been many players as well, who were initially very high picks, that have asked to be traded and left the club because they could not fit into the GWS, star-studded team. I know that because my team keeps picking them up.

List size and Cap might be a part of it, so was the depth of talent. I'm sure you understand that.

I was defending GWS's better depth with a Richmond supporter if you read it properly, one reason why I thought GWS would win.

Are you talking afl membership? As a member of over 20 years I've never been asked once to show proof of membership or id. Go in where it's busy and you'll be right.

This is what it says on the right hand side of the ticket

Attachments

• IMG_1956.PNG
    IMG_1956.PNG
    122.5 KB · Views: 3
Wow, apparently there's more Tigers supporters with Tiger banners at the GWS training than Giants supporters. (Popped over from Punt Rd no doubt)
Nooo.

A 150 year old club that has been useless in finals for 40 years has more fans at a training session which is held on their home ground? Over 1000kms away from the opppsition new clubs home base.

Im stunned.

Now thats out of this system.

Only seen a photo a few tigers fans while theres 100 or so Giants there.

From what ive been told anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Prestia? Add in Grigg, Ellis, Caddy and yeah it’s not as good as GWS but it’s pretty solid. And how many players are GWS going to dedicate to Cotchin and Martin? If both of those two are in the middle at once and you tag both, you’ll have one player actually trying to clear the ball. And there’s only been one occasion this year when Martin’s had more handballs than kicks, it’s obviously not easy to do, and on that occasion we won by 104 points. So maybe that doesn’t quite work. Also, our defence this year has been unreal. Rance, Astbury, Grimes. If you gave any club that they’d take it I’m certain. Probably slightly more than a slight edge. Forward line I’ll pay in terms of raw scoring power.
I honestly don’t get why you’re so certain GWS will win. If we bring the same pressure as we did against Geelong we’ll be pretty hard to beat. Granted, you might think we won’t, but even in all your confidence you simply have to give us a chance.

Prestia and Caddy yes. Grigg had an easier time fitting into your side than ours. Their midfield depth is runs quite alot deeper.

Richmond's defence is great but will have a huge issue kicking goals again with their small forward line. To me it depends on whether GWS come to play as a champion team or a "team of champions" as to the result as their talent level is significant better. Means nothing if GWS don't come as a co-ordinated unit though. If they do you're done. You can bring the same pressure as 2 weeks ago but if you're 3 goals only near 3/4 time like you were then you're likely to be chasing a fair deficit in the last qtr.

don't worry about our scoring, if we play exactly how we played against the cats we'll win comfortably.

Big finals you have to score. I'm tipping no side will play as insipidly as the Cats 2 weeks ago. You should've killed them early on with your domination but it was near level close to 3/4 time as you couldn't score, which had us all shaking our heads. If you score as you did for the first 3 qtrs as you did against the Cats playing GWS you could be along way behind. 3 goals for most of 3 qtrs will win you one final in 20. IF GWS play up to form, which they don't always do admittedly, they pump you as they are alot more talented. Richmond have to get that pressure going again, as it's all they've got. Hard thing to play at the intensity game after game, any drop and your dead on the water.

I'm taking GWS on trust admittedly but I think they win well.

IF GWS play up to form, which they don't always do admittedly, they pump you as they are a lot more talented. Richmond have to get that pressure going again, as it's all they've got. Hard thing to play at the intensity game after game, any drop and your dead on the water.

I'm taking GWS on trust admittedly but I think they win well.

Whilst true there is one thing you seem to have forgot. The tackle festival that Richmond season is built upon you say is a hard thing to keep the intensity game after game. But they only played 1 game in 3 weeks. They should be cherry ripe to be able to do it again having had plenty of rest recently.
Having said that, GWS slick ball movement when they get into their A game mode will kill them off quickly. GWS despite being top 4 virtually all year have rarely got into A game mode for them. I still shake my head they had 2 draws in a row at one stage and also lost to our team developing in our infancy. They have struggled to be playing at their best virtually all season. They certainly need to be on their game these next 2 weeks to deliver the premiership they should be at levels to achieve now. Their best key forward and ruck out is a loss but should be able to do it in this even season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back