Summary
partly-cloudy.png

Max 20
Partly cloudy.
Possible rainfall: 0 mm
Chance of any rain: 5%
rain_5.gif

Melbourne area
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog early this morning. Winds northerly 15 to 25 km/h.

MATCH PREVIEW
St Kilda makes its return to Friday night footy for the first time in more than two years. The Saints were thumped by Collingwood by 74 points that night and will want a better showing in their first of four chances in the marquee timeslot this year. Making matters tough will be its opponent, with GWS having won five on the trot. Leon Cameron's side boasts the second-most miserly defence in the competition while they have scored the fourth-most points, and the midfield is studded with stars. The Saints have reason to be confident though after a comprehensive win against Hawthorn showcased a dangerous forward line, with Nick Riewoldt, Josh Bruce and Tim Membrey combining for 10 goals. Jack Steven has returned from a punctured lung in excellent form while Seb Ross and Koby Stevens offer hard bodies to combat the gun Giants onballers.

TEAMS

St Kilda has made one change ahead of the game with Nathan Wright replacing the injured Maverick Weller for the clash against Greater Western Sydney at Etihad Stadium.

St Kilda

B: Jarryn Geary, Nathan Brown, Jimmy Webster
HB: Jack Newnes, Jake Carlisle, Dylan Roberton
C: Nick Riewoldt, Jack Steele, Leigh Montagna
HF: Jade Gresham, Josh Bruce, Jack Billings
F: Darren Minchington, Tim Membrey, Jack Sinclair
R: Billy Longer, Seb Ross, Jack Steven
Interchange: Blake Acres, Sam Gilbert, Koby Stevens, Nathan Wright
Emergencies: Tom Hickey, Paddy McCartin, Daniel McKenzie

IN: Nathan Wright
OUT: Mav Weller (ankle)
Emergencies: Tom Hickey, Paddy McCartin, Daniel McKenzie

GWS

Co-captain Phil Davis and vice-captain Stephen Coniglio return to the field as part of three changes to the GIANTS side to face St Kilda at Etihad Stadium on Friday night.

FB: Zac Williams, Aidan Corr, Heath Shaw
HB: Adam Kennedy, Phil Davis, Tim Taranto
C: Nathan Wilson, Callan Ward, Tom Scully
HF: Steve Johnson, Rory Lobb, Matt Kennedy
FF: Devon Smith, Jonny Patton, Jeremy Cameron
RR: Shane Mumford, Josh Kelly, Dylan Shiel
Interchange: Harry Himmelberg, Stephen Coniglio, Jacob Hopper, Adam Tomlinson

In: Phil Davis, Stephen Coniglio, Harry Himmelberg
Out: Nick Haynes (hamstring), Sam Reid (hamstring), Toby Greene (suspension)
Emergencies: Matt de Boer, Dawson Simpson, Harry Perryman

Mentions

St Kilda and GWS clash for the seventh time, with both sides having notched up three wins each. The Saints won the first three, the Giants the last three. The two teams meet at Etihad Stadium for the fifth time and each has two wins. The Giants have won their last three at the Docklands-based venue.

The Giants are the No. 1 clearance team in 2017 with 43.2 per game, while the Saints are ranked last at 33.5 per game.

PREDICTION: GWS by 20 points

Some of their talls and runners are scary.

Unsure of match ups for Cameron, Patton and Lobb.
Mumford should also monster Longer.

I am tipping GWS , but I wonder which St Kilda will turn up. The one that was meant to be pushing for a top 8 spot or the one that lost horribly to Collingwood. to Geelong and Melbourne

Saints fans would at least hope for a competitive effort.

GWS x 14

Last edited:

Even with home ground ( really home crowd) advantage, it's difficult to see the Sainters getting up here. I don't see them matching the GWS mids. They will have to at least break even there and be super efficient up forward to win this. Turnovers are going to get punished big time as GWS will transition out of half back real quick on this ground.

Saints are a decent chance, their team is very well balanced. The quality of the GWS is probably far too good though - there isn't a single line on the ground where the Giants lose on paper.

Etthiad is good for us.
I rate the Saints a good side, missed them last week but impressed the week earlier.
Expect it to be a competitive game, no excuses for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy for Stephen Coniglio returning for his first game of the year - he's one I really enjoy watching.
Just dont know if he'll be at his best first up, but he would be playing NEAFL if he needed it I guess

I give the Saints a big chance tonight and the +13.5pts betting line seems like good value.

Saints have some very good forward options and scoring players that can pump out a 110+ score line easily which is more than competitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back