AFL 2018 R21: Essendon v St Kilda - 19:50 AEST, Aug 10, 2018. Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

is that goose for real? 3-5 weeks?
Had enough of the footy media jumping on current issues and sensationalising them to drive attention as fast and far as possible until it gets out of the car and vomits!

Well it will be high contact/high impact

That’s a 2 week

I think that’s what it is at least (happy to be corrected here)

The bump was shithouse from Brown, but will be 1-2 weeks. Maybe more given the post-Gaff environment.

(Incidentally, anyone criticising that should think about how stupid you have to be as a footy player to go in hard/late/potentially high in literally the next game after someone got 8 weeks off.)

Saints are playing without any confidence, and their skills are awful. I think that can be addressed and they’ll be a good team, but not a great one. They’ve missed in drafts too much, sometimes through bad luck and sometimes through bad drafting. They’ve got a lot of average to good players, but few very good to elite players. Steven, Gresham, maybe Carlisle and that’s it.

Who knows.
Richardson has an extension to his contract.
Leveathan and co will review everything else and see if they can tidy up the football dept - assistant coaches etc.
Put everything in place as best as possible and then see if Richardson is up to it.
Wouldn't want to have to pay him out.
No good bringing in a new coach in any case until the review has been finished, structures put in place and new management bedded in.
Best to wait until the off-season.

Can't always keep changing coaches looking for the messiah.
I remember similar situation for Hardwick and Buckley.
the only reason Buckley isn’t gone already is because it’s fat Ed’s football club and he is the favoured son

Yes

the bump is dead. Football is turning into netball with zones and non contact
Not before time though....friend of the family played competitive footy at a reasonable level right up until his mid 30's.
Copped too many bumps, haymakers, concussions. Now in his late 40's has permanent headache, cognitive difficulties, memory lapses and depression.
Too late for him.
What players like Guerra used to do as part of the game, shirtfronting players, hovering like a sniper on the fringes of the pack was never 'sport' (nor tough) in my eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't always keep changing coaches looking for the messiah.
I remember similar situation for Hardwick and Buckley.

I agree you can't keep changing coaches looking for the Messiah but Hardwick had at least made finals before they restructured the footy department.

No offence but the only top 8 team Collingwood has beaten this year is Melbourne, who haven't beaten a team in the top 9 (correct me if I am wrong).

St Kilda are in a world of hurt at the moment, I hope they review everything thoroughly before making a call but has Richardson shown anything to indicate he can take the club forward? What is their brand of footy?

I can't tell.

....Gresham is a talent.
Too early to call on players like Battle, Coffield, Phillips etc....but yeah pretty light on.
Beat the Tigers last year though, didn't they.

I honestly believe the entire Richmond team had gastro that day

I agree you can't keep changing coaches looking for the Messiah but Hardwick had at least made finals before they restructured the footy department.

No offence but the only top 8 team Collingwood has beaten this year is Melbourne, who haven't beaten a team in the top 9 (correct me if I am wrong).

St Kilda are in a world of hurt at the moment, I hope they review everything thoroughly before making a call but has Richardson shown anything to indicate he can take the club forward? What is their brand of footy?

I can't tell.
How's your Messiah going?
Cult of Ross?
Still using the old Sydney rope-a-dope game-plan.
How's that working for you?

Happy with my mob matey - most had us pegged for the bottom 4 this season, even with our s**t injury list this year we have progressed and shown we have a pretty decent list with talent and depth.

Only one team each year can win a flag.
Pies have shown patience with Buckley and he has developed as a coach whilst rebuilding his own team.
Even in our worst seasons under Buckley we have remained competitive and had at least 9 wins for the season.
I suppose you would have sacked Clarkson when he was learning how to be a senior coach too - after only 5 wins and 9 wins in his first two seasons coaching at the Hawks.

As for developing your own brand of footy, a lot of that is determined by what players you have on your list and their respective strengths and weaknesses.
Hardwick admitted to developing his game plan as a NAB Cup experiment because he only had one key forward.
Pagan developed Pagans Paddock because he had Carey.

Richo still has a young side with a lot of inexperienced players and bugger all leaders so the brand of footy is still a work in progress. Just started a rebuild.
As I say, rock and a hard place - they have given him an extension, get all of the periphal and support staff sorted out, give him anither year and then evaluate it. See if he has been coaching with one hand tied behind his back. Madness to pay him out unless there is an experienced coach as a ready made replacement. Even then you'd be starting all over again.
Saints had I think 6 or 8 first year players playing tonight?
Season is a write off for them, let the new management team have free reign to reinvigorate and reshape the club.

Last edited:
Subi undefeated this year with a percentage around 200.
Essendon basically hand picked the best state league players in the country along with guys like Zaka, Merrett, BJ, Daniher as genuine stars. Steven and Ross would have the ton partnership vs Subi

Remove this Banner Ad

Back