Discussion AFL 2023 Finals Series: Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Have at it for the finals series – we'll throw it all in the one thread.

My tips for the weekend:
  • Coll (black/black) vs Melb (royal/white)
  • Carl (navy/navy) vs Syd (white/red)
  • St.K (black/black) vs GWS (orange clash/white)
  • Bris (maroon/maroon) vs Port (white/white)
I could be way off here and there's every chance the Sydney sides may wear their home kits.

Melbourne don't have royal shorts though. Besides, Collingwood finished 1st and need some home advantage over the 4th team even if it's only uniform choice.
Yeah they don't, unfortunately. White shorts should never be used against a team with white as a core element. It's hideous and regressive.

& you're right, Collingwood's higher ladder position gives them the right to wear their preferred jumper, as they did in the 2010 QF & 2011 Prelim. While I reckon the Pies' home w/ white shorts can be considered a 'light' uniform, the AFL wouldn't agree & it's most likely the Dees wear royal tonight. There's no doubt in my mind it contrasts sufficiently from the Dees' full home though:

[edit]

Tonight's likely combination. Contrast gets a pass, but could be so much better.

While Collingwood's nowadays liberal use of their white-based jumper makes the combination redundant in the H & A, finals matchups such as tonight's present a justifiable use-case. It really is a severely underrated combination. For example:

Pies/Hawks, 2011 (rd15):

afl-rd-15-collingwood-v-hawthorn.jpg

Pies/Hawks, 2011 (final):
afl-1st-preliminary-final-collingwood-v-hawthorn.jpg

Last edited:
Port have confirmed they'll be in their clash jumper for the QF vs Brisbane.

Thank god for that. I would never have been able to tell the difference between a Maroon jumper and a black one with a white number panel with white shorts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port have confirmed they'll be in their clash jumper for the QF vs Brisbane.

Thank god for that. I would never have been able to tell the difference between a Maroon jumper and a black one with a white number panel with white shorts.

Shouldn’t we be applauding the correct use of contrast here? Dark v light. All good.

If the stars align we could see a Collingwood v Carlton Grand Final this year. Would the AFL allow the biggest jumper clash in the league in the biggest game of the year?

If the stars align we could see a Collingwood v Carlton Grand Final this year. Would the AFL allow the biggest jumper clash in the league in the biggest game of the year?
If that did eventuate, AFL wouldn't have the balls to put Carlton in a clash so could see us wearing white instead

Each side needs to have 3 jumpers, not including first nations. Like in European football, the availability of change shorts must be made mandatory. And a proper uniform schedule ought to be introduced. With the the so-called Boys Club at AFL HQ supposedly being dismantled, issues such as these surrounding the game's image should be given greater consideration.

Thursday night was just amateur hour.

As for Carlton, their white clash strip's contrasting effect from the Pies' home is merely satisfactory. Bring back the baby blue.

Each side needs to have 3 jumpers, not including first nations. Like in European football, the availability of change shorts must be made mandatory. And a proper uniform schedule ought to be introduced. With the the so-called Boys Club at AFL HQ supposedly being dismantled, issues such as these surrounding the game's image should be given greater consideration.

Thursday night was just amateur hour.

As for Carlton, their white clash strip's contrasting effect from the Pies' home is merely satisfactory. Bring back the baby blue.
Thursday was absolutely fine

Giants away kit very pleasing to the eye.
Why does St Kilda Guernsey have a thicker white stripe? It's the opposite of what they should be in
The white stripe was thicker on the 1966 guernsey (which is pretty much what they are wearing now) compared to the current ones
StKilda-1963.gif

StKilda-2023.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back