Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 11 - Dogs v Swans Thu May 23rd 7:30pm AEST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In the first half West missed one from 30m out and Gallagher missed one in play he should have kicked as well. You can't afford to miss those against top teams.

You guys were 7 goals 2 at one stage, and have been scarily accurate all year. That's the biggest factor, you're taking your chances more than any other club.
A lot of the accuracy is not having dominant talls

If McLean amartey and McDonald mark it a lot they go fifty fifty in set shots. An affliction that is common amongst good talls. Smaller players with snaps from 30 or so rarely go at less than 80%

A lot of the accuracy is not having dominant talls

If McLean amartey and McDonald mark it a lot they go fifty fifty in set shots. An affliction that is common amongst good talls. Smaller players with snaps from 30 or so rarely go at less than 80%
I think I commented on your good ball movement earlier on the game so that makes sense - getting changes that area a higher % chance of going through.

I really don't understand all the whinging about this. It's stupid fixturing but any advantage is offset by the fact that we play 11 in a row to finish the season while other teams will be fresher.

Opening round is a joke and you could argue there's an advantage to playing a week earlier than everyone else so the first bye is an advantage (but on the flipside you also lose a week of pre-season). I don't really see how this second bye being early is a massive advantage in the grand scheme of things though.
1st rule of BigFooty: whinge about the usual things.

2nd rule of BigFooty: for a back up, find new things to whinge about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah much prefer the Swans win it over almost any other team. Particularly the Vic teams but also Port/Suns. The one thing against them is that they are peaking at the wrong time.
Are the Swans peaking though? And if so why isn't it sustainable?

I'm not so certain there'll be a form slump at the pointy end, they've been consistently good for nearly half a season and their form if anything is building.

And yeah wouldn't mind port or suns winning it too, anyone, just so long as it's not the blues or bombers or wc (given either of those would take our mantle of performance over the course of the competition averaged out over the clubs time in the competition).

The best case scenario.

Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton has sustained a moderate grade medial ligament injury to his right knee, scans have confirmed.

There has been no damage to his ACL.

Naughton was removed from the game during the second quarter after his knee was caught in a tackle.

The Club will work through a return to play plan in coming days but expects to be without the 24-year-old for at least the next four to six weeks.

Yeah much prefer the Swans win it over almost any other team. Particularly the Vic teams but also Port/Suns. The one thing against them is that they are peaking at the wrong time.
Also it's not like teams only have one peak and then just decide for the rest of the season. Collingwood last year peaked early, had a mid-late season flat patch, but were still good in finals. West Coast in 2018 lost I think 2 or 3 in a row midseason and many were writing them off.

Granted like any team, injuries and other issues can throw a spanner in the works.

The best case scenario.

Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton has sustained a moderate grade medial ligament injury to his right knee, scans have confirmed.

There has been no damage to his ACL.

Naughton was removed from the game during the second quarter after his knee was caught in a tackle.

The Club will work through a return to play plan in coming days but expects to be without the 24-year-old for at least the next four to six weeks.
Wowee, that's fantastic news all things considered. Hope his recovery goes well. He's had a fantastic season.

Are the Swans peaking though? And if so why isn't it sustainable?

I'm not so certain there'll be a form slump at the pointy end, they've been consistently good for nearly half a season and their form if anything is building.

And yeah wouldn't mind port or suns winning it too, anyone, just so long as it's not the blues or bombers or wc (given either of those would take our mantle of performance over the course of the competition averaged out over the clubs time in the competition).

I think they are and it's possible. So many teams have had a hot streak to start the season then fizzled out for one reason or another. Was it in 2022 that we were asking who could stop Melbourne? Hopefully they can keep it up.

I think they are and it's possible. So many teams have had a hot streak to start the season then fizzled out for one reason or another. Was it in 2022 that we were asking who could stop Melbourne? Hopefully they can keep it up.
I don't think the Swans enjoy playing grand finals.

This is getting bandied around but makes no sense, who are they? The truly dominant H&A teams of the recent decade - Collingwood 2010, Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond, have all gone on to grand finals and won them. Swans 2016 and stkilda in the late 2000s are probably the only two clear dominant teams of the year to not go on to win it all.

And that's not even mentioning Collingwood last year, Dee's 21 and west coast because I don't class them as completely dominating the H&A in those years. Yet even they went on to win it.
Geelong in 2008 won 21/22 games and lost the flag.
Richmond in 2018 were dominant and lost the flag.
Rare but it does happen

On the flip side, Collingwood in 2010 finished 2 points head of 2nd so were hardly dominant, Sydney in 2016 finished on top by % and were only a game clear of 7th, again hardly dominant.

Glad you appreciate it.

I would prefer you used some fresh material though.
You'll have to subscribe to my newsletter for that. Not wasting my best gear on a main board thread.

Back