Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Blues v Pies Fri May 3rd 7:40pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 38 36.2%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Great game and i didnt know who i wanted to lose more

Team selection was crucial in the end and carlton played 1 man short for 99.9% of the game

Fantasia was just as important to Collingwood winning as Nick Daicos

The Maynard tackle on Owies is an example of what Whately and King were talking about early this week. The tackled player taking his head to ground to get a free. This needs to be fined out of existence.
Or the umpires could grow a brain and realise that players are constantly trying to con them and milk free kicks, including those for dangerous tackles.

That would be a good start.

AFL umpires are fricken dummies. They see someone throw their head back... free kick, high tackle... They see someone go limp and get slung to the ground... Free kick, dangerous tackle... The umps are clowns.

Last edited:
Collingwood play with plenty of heart but it's there composure in close matches that suggest they have a fair amount of skill!
It's also a component of great coaching - having superior situational awareness and making the right decisions under pressure and all players being in the right positions, maintaining their structure, etc... This is stuff they work on at training and study from watching edited video clips. It's been drilled into them at this point. They love it and have total self-belief they will win.

I remember when the Hawks enjoyed a sensational winning record in close matches back in 2016. Not as good as the Pies amazing record from 2022 to 2024. But similar in many ways. It wasn't like they did spectacular brilliant plays in the final minutes to snatch victory. They just held their nerve better than their opponents and made the right decisions and played the percentages. Same with McRae's Magpies.

With that said however... it was a superbly worked goal by Nick Daicos in the biggest of moments. Like you said, superior skills definitely come to the fore in tight matches. He wasn't just throwing it on his boot and having a hopeful ping at goal. He knew what he was doing and had the skill and composure to back it up.

Last edited:
Well done. Couple of bonehead moves from our guys at the end, sadly. Could have been the reverse result. :(

Anyway, Melbourne next which will be another tough one but we have seen this hard run coming.

Pretty confident of a victory weren't you?
As you know, most Carlton supporters were dubious. Couple of Cats fans were prowling all week saying things like "the excuses have started already".

Pushed the premiers to a very close result so it's not a complete waste.

On to Melbourne next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a terrif game. I was riveted to the screen for 4 qtrs. The large crowd was noticably quiet for portions, it was pretty tense, and good tight battle. I can't fathom how there were comments during Q3 that the game was dull and rubbish. You can certainly tell the pr0n addicted onanists from the footy connoisseurs.

Pies manipulated their forward line brilliantly in light of their talls having little impact up there. The smalls were very good for the most part and they had mid sized players moving in and out. Carlton had trouble all night defending against them, and couldn't move the ball fluently from half back. There's only so much a Weitering can do. I lost track of the number of times their transition players took a step too many and got nailed. Blues were slowed down between the arcs and couldn't punish Pies enough for having high defenders.

Still despite all that, Carlton with zest and ol fashioned hard work were right in it and kept the light shining, I think Arry and Charlie kicked half a dozen between them? They really are a dogged side with a bit of flair, very watchable and a bit working class, Chairman Mao and Uncle Ho would love 'em. And in the end with a bit more defensive discipline they'd have won.

It was appropriate the winning goal was from a small bloke who found space at the back of a pack unguarded defensively by Carlton. It was the perfect clutch finish. Can I say his name out loud without being ostracized? Nick Daicos you bloody beauty!

11 individual goal kickers to 5 tells the story for me.

Pies just have so many different avenues to goal. Carlton still very dependent on Curnow and McKay to kick big bags each.
And if they don't mark it they don't have any players worthy at their feet.

I love how people are again referring to the Pies as 'Reigning Premiers' and not 10th-placed one-time-wonder has-been plodders.

Apparently you have 100,000 members now. Apparently you're up and about now. Where were they?
Probably saw the writing on the wall after last week and realised it's all just another false dawn.
Seems odd to single out a game with a record crowd and claim that people didn't turn up...

Back