Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
Anyway I hope they fix it, I'm on Xbox so was avoiding all this anyway but from what I have seen I do think they've nailed the aesthetic, game looks good to me in full flight, the best looking AFL one we've had with the movement etc. I don't mind the spacing of the players either or their size, I know someone else thought they looked size, I think it all looks pretty right.

I realise this thread is a bit hectic at the moment, but can anyone tell me if it's possible to play as one player only, in a third person camera mode? I know career mode is not available but hoping I can still play a game locked in as one player with the camera over the shoulder.

OK, let me be more prescriptive here.

We are absolutely not - I repeat, absolutely not - discussing the merits of women's football here. That includes making it loosely related to your views on the game to hide what you're really here to talk about.

If that's a discussion that interests you, take it to any of the other boards where it's more relevant - main board, SRP, etc. I don't care where. Just not here.

Thanks.

I realise this thread is a bit hectic at the moment, but can anyone tell me if it's possible to play as one player only, in a third person camera mode? I know career mode is not available but hoping I can still play a game locked in as one player with the camera over the shoulder.
Nope, and certainly won't be anytime soon. Maybe will be a feature in the future if you're lucky. But a lot of work to do before that

The one thing I don't understand regarding all this is how did they not know about this? Did they not test the game with the day one patch included?

Things looked promising in Michael's stream, but all went to 💩 come release day. Did the day one patch break the game once installed? If so, again, shouldnt his have been picked up on before releasing to the general public?

I feel for Big Ant. Major damage control situation. Is not a good look for them, but this is the same scenario with Cricket 22. Was playable but majority bugged out to begin with, but they eventually got there and brought out continuous patches to help & fix the game. I don't see it being any different with AFL 23.

I'll be picking up a PS5 copy when the XBOX version releases.. Hopefully by then, the game will be in a better state and have every mode, nook and cranny added.

Did anyone play on ps5 prior to installing the day one patch ?

Maybe the on disk version was actually decent before they broke everything

The trading is actually good. You have to first negotiate a contract with a player you want to trade for before you can even try and trade for him. Unfortunately trade logic isn’t perfect but it’s pretty solid.

Drafting is straight up dog water. Every rookie is the same bald face scan, it doesn’t show you height + weight or even what team they previously played for. Every drafted player also inherits number 0
Unless this is addressed I will not be purchasing

The trading is actually good. You have to first negotiate a contract with a player you want to trade for before you can even try and trade for him. Unfortunately trade logic isn’t perfect but it’s pretty solid.

Drafting is straight up dog water. Every rookie is the same bald face scan, it doesn’t show you height + weight or even what team they previously played for. Every drafted player also inherits number 0
Im assuming this is going to be fixed with state leagues are added? Maybe a delay in the licensing of those players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one thing I don't understand regarding all this is how did they not know about this? Did they not test the game with the day one patch included?

Things looked promising in Michael's stream, but all went to 💩 come release day. Did the day one patch break the game once installed? If so, again, shouldnt his have been picked up on before releasing to the general public?

I feel for Big Ant. Major damage control situation. Is not a good look for them, but this is the same scenario with Cricket 22. Was playable but majority bugged out to begin with, but they eventually got there and brought out continuous patches to help & fix the game. I don't see it being any different with AFL 23.

I'll be picking up a PS5 copy when the XBOX version releases.. Hopefully by then, the game will be in a better state and have every mode, nook and cranny added.
They did this with AO Tennis 1 as well, broke the whole game with the day one patch.

I've played a lot of janky AFL games in my time, but this is on another level, it's absolutely broken. Do not buy this thing.
It sounds ridiculous but Live 2 was better ‘package’ than this in terms of gameplay

The individual animations in AFL23 are smooth as but when put together, it’s a complete mess.

I am no longer taking marks, decided to just spoil everything and bring the ball to ground while AI marking/spoiling isn’t working as intended

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sad stuff, should never have to handicap yourself because the game is below standard.

Just had a game with the Steam patch (I think).

The good -

• the witches hats thing is gone
  • although hard to pull off for a dozen different reasons, linking play together is really satisfying. You can realistically expect to drill a goal on the run in traffic which feels like an AFL gaming first.
  • the umpiring AI is pretty good, yet to see an absolute howler. HTB balancing seems about right.
  • clear as day this is going to be the best AFL we've had. I would have said that about the Monthy Python version too but it's getting more and more obvious. If you can't see it then a bit of patience will do wonders.

Funny bad -
  • You cannot avoid laugh out loud bugs happening frequently, how so many ppl are not seeing the funny side is beyond me. We will be talking about this version for years.
  • Favourite bug at the moment is long hair in a slo mo replay - it doesn't observe the time scale and keeps sticking up in the air like it's frozen with hair spray. Kind of like Top Secret if you've seen that movie.
  • umpires coaching the players in the huddle will never not be funny
  • comically poor AI ball movement
  • because of the bugs, some of the commentary is hilarious as it's literally impossible for it to match what's happening on field. e.g. the CHF booting it to the backline for no discernible reason allowing you to goal - 'what a monster punt! He's such a good kick' etc.

Normal Bad -
  • you can't swivel left and right when kicking
  • handball is broken
  • if you start changing settings around etc it can feel a bit like the code has a panic attack. For example - not sure if it's fixed now - but if you play with the camera set to close it won't show the wings. It's a bit like the camera man has gone on a smoko.
  • unless this build came from a year ago, the patch effort is going to take along time. If there was ever a case to ask people to uninstall and reinstall a game, this is it. If it's all been a house of mirrors, oh boy. Weeks, if not months of work ahead for BA.

I'm sure it's not the current mood at BA headquarters right now but when this is all behind them I think it would be great to have a 'day 1' mode as an easter egg to commemorate this occasion. There's a lot of funny stuff here and I wish the team all the best getting through this.

As for anyone entering their 19th hour of outrage - it's just a game, the 50 millionth bad launch, we've all been here before. And best of all, that AFL game you're saying is heaps better from 15 years ago probably still works.

Last edited:
Have any of you submitted feedback tickets as well? Your thoughts will probably be more likely to be looked at when somebody is on the clock getting paid to read them as opposed to a message board that Ross no doubt skims through when he gets a chance

Have any of you submitted feedback tickets as well? Your thoughts will probably be more likely to be looked at when somebody is on the clock getting paid to read them as opposed to a message board that Ross no doubt skims through when he gets a chance

Where would you even begin at the moment?

That sort of feedback will probably be more useful once the game is in a more stable state. The mythical final build. Then it'll be easier to provide proper feedback.

So at the Xbox launch when ultimate team is released I guess.

For now the YouTube videos people are sharing say it all.

Are season mode crows small for every game? I love have smaller crowds for games like eagles v north but for games that should have sold out crowds it takes you out of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back