AFL Concussion study/discussion - "Problem overblown"...!!

Remove this Banner Ad

JD-Roo

Premiership Player
May 31, 2007
Kilmore-East
AFL Club
North Melbourne
NFL concussion problem overblown: AFL expert Paul McCrory

One of the AFL's top concussion advisors has questioned American football's landmark US$765million settlement with players over the issue, saying the problem in the NFL has been grossly overblown.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-afl-expert-paul-mccrory-20160406-go0ctx.html

Why does this sound so much like the same protectionist garbage the cigarette companies spouted during the late 70's/early 80's?

To me this is more than a 'head-in-the-sand' approach. This sounds like deliberate and wilfull ignorance to maintain their precious brand........... yet again. :mad:

NFL concussion problem overblown: AFL expert Paul McCrory

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-afl-expert-paul-mccrory-20160406-go0ctx.html

Why does this sound so much like the same protectionist garbage the cigarette companies spouted during the late 70's/early 80's?

To me this is more than a 'head-in-the-sand' approach. This sounds like deliberate and wilfull ignorance to maintain their precious brand........... yet again. :mad:
He does come across as a bit flippant in his quotes, but scientists do tend to do that when they are immersed in their subject for decades. Overblown is the term being used but he seems like he really means oversimplified.

The type of impacts to the head that a linebacker would sustain during a game where they are sub-concussive, yet very frequent, would be very different to the types of head impacts that an AFL player would receive.

The type of impacts to the head that a linebacker would sustain during a game where they are sub-concussive, yet very frequent, would be very different to the types of head impacts that an AFL player would receive.

Begs the question why doesn't soccer have more players suffering concussion, considering how many times the ball & head collide, sometimes at what appears to be at considerable speed.

Begs the question why doesn't soccer have more players suffering concussion, considering how many times the ball & head collide, sometimes at what appears to be at considerable speed.

actually they have a *ton of concussions, the problem is most of the propaganda out there claims other wise.
the first proper look into soccer concussions was done in the us and found that although the seriousness of individual concussions was not as significant over a career the amount of concussions was higher and that's the problem. a guy can get concussed 10 times and seem fine, nobody notices until the 11th time and they think the odds of brain damage are low. When in fact the problem is the cumulative damage.

additionally because the individual concussions were minor it means players a more likely to continue playing whilst concussed.
the results of the study were enough for soccer's main governing body in the US to ban heading the ball completely if you were under a certain age.

chronic traumatic encephalopath is as much an issue in soccer as it is any other sport.

Concussion isn't something new. It has occurred ever since a caveman hit another caveman on the head with his club.

So, if concussion could occur since the year dot, and there hasn't been these problems then, they why would there suddenly be a spate of them now?

I remember I was in my car one time, and heard "JBY-Jesaulenko You Beauty" on SEN. It is an interview show, where a guy called Des Dowling interviews players from the past.

This time, he interviewed a player. This player spoke in great detail about his upbringing, his family, was able to recall succintly events from the past. He was lucid and didn't really stumble over his words (well, no more than usual).

I remember thinking that the voice sounded very much like Greg "Diesel" Williams. But then I dismissed it, because I heard that Greg Williams had such bad concussions, that apparently he was bordering on dementia. Yet this guy sounded normal, and not suffering any ill-effects.

I thought that maybe it was an old interview, and it was before Diesel started having ill-effects from concussion. However, he was asked how he thought Sydney would go this week, so then I knew it was current. At the end, Dowling said "We will be back after the break, with my guest, Greg Williams".

So, I thought, Williams, who was allegedy meant to have memory loss, blackouts and other things, was able to go on the radio, and recall his life. This, amongst other things, has made me call "bullshit" to the current concussion talk.

Also, as a follower of wrestling, the excuse used for wrestler Chris Benoit killing his family was that he was affected by years of concussion. However, the cops said it was "roid rage", but WWE said it was concussion, to cover over a regime where steroids were used by Benoit and other wrestlers to enhance their muscles.

Concussion isn't something new. It has occurred ever since a caveman hit another caveman on the head with his club.

So, if concussion could occur since the year dot, and there hasn't been these problems then, they why would there suddenly be a spate of them now?

I remember I was in my car one time, and heard "JBY-Jesaulenko You Beauty" on SEN. It is an interview show, where a guy called Des Dowling interviews players from the past.

This time, he interviewed a player. This player spoke in great detail about his upbringing, his family, was able to recall succintly events from the past. He was lucid and didn't really stumble over his words (well, no more than usual).

I remember thinking that the voice sounded very much like Greg "Diesel" Williams. But then I dismissed it, because I heard that Greg Williams had such bad concussions, that apparently he was bordering on dementia. Yet this guy sounded normal, and not suffering any ill-effects.

I thought that maybe it was an old interview, and it was before Diesel started having ill-effects from concussion. However, he was asked how he thought Sydney would go this week, so then I knew it was current. At the end, Dowling said "We will be back after the break, with my guest, Greg Williams".

So, I thought, Williams, who was allegedy meant to have memory loss, blackouts and other things, was able to go on the radio, and recall his life. This, amongst other things, has made me call "bullshit" to the current concussion talk.

Also, as a follower of wrestling, the excuse used for wrestler Chris Benoit killing his family was that he was affected by years of concussion. However, the cops said it was "roid rage", but WWE said it was concussion, to cover over a regime where steroids were used by Benoit and other wrestlers to enhance their muscles.

I think it is one of those things where it is very very hard to prove one way or the other, so many things must be factored in, but common sense would tell you that getting smacked in the head repeatedly is not good for you.

The real key in Football to avoid concussions is to protect the bloke going the ball, protect the head at all costs and get of rid off blokes who apply cheap shots or are head hunters.

I think it is one of those things where it is very very hard to prove one way or the other, so many things must be factored in, but common sense would tell you that getting smacked in the head repeatedly is not good for you.

The real key in Football to avoid concussions is to protect the bloke going the ball, protect the head at all costs and get of rid off blokes who apply cheap shots or are head hunters.

Said it be for. Penalise the guy who hits high, sure.
But penalise the guy who caused the situation. So the guys who duck or go in with the head, penalise them. They cause the problem just as much.
Review the games & warn those who cause problems, then fine & show the public, then suspend if they are too stupid to listen & learn.

The fact is, that AFL shouldn't worry about lawsuits, since I remember there being a law called "Assumption Of Risk".

That is, if one does something that can be considered dangerous, and accepts that risk, then they are responsible for the consequences in reasonable circumstances.

So if AFL players choose to play a game where concussions are a possibility, and get knocked out in an accident or while doing something on the ground within the rules, then they are full responsible for present and future consequences of playing a contact sport.

Maybe the AFL needs for each player to sign a waiver before they play, clearing the AFL of any responsibility for anything that occurs on the field during the course of a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact is, that AFL shouldn't worry about lawsuits, since I remember there being a law called "Assumption Of Risk".

That is, if one does something that can be considered dangerous, and accepts that risk, then they are responsible for the consequences in reasonable circumstances.

So if AFL players choose to play a game where concussions are a possibility, and get knocked out in an accident or while doing something on the ground within the rules, then they are full responsible for present and future consequences of playing a contact sport.

Maybe the AFL needs for each player to sign a waiver before they play, clearing the AFL of any responsibility for anything that occurs on the field during the course of a game.
You cant just ignorantly wave away your responsiblity to yourself & others. Players really know very little about long tern risk, responsibility & the neurological consequences of repeated concussions, but they are learning. They just want to play.
The Game managers have the legal responsibility to make their workplace as safe as they can, given the knowledge we are gaining about such consequences of concussion. Lawyers will pick apart any defence in trying to get a legal win & payout for injured players. That is the fact.
If you like seeing guys get smashed, go watch NRL. Personally I prefer the ball movement, marking, kicking, team play that sets our game apart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back