AFL continues to show contempt for Aussie rules fans

I travel interstate to watch my team play live

• Regularly for home and away games and without question for a final

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Once or twice a year during the season but definitely for a final

Votes: 44 31.7%
  • Never for home and away but I'd try to be there for a final

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Never, I'd rather watch on tv and then whine in the game-day thread about the empty seats

Votes: 19 13.7%
  • Never, I'd rather watch on tv or don't have the ability to travel

Votes: 47 33.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

josephine666

Senior List
Aug 7, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Despite the AFL and media crush on the Giants, there will in fact be two teams playing in the prelim next Saturday twilight. Of course the Giants are entitled to a home state final, but the fans of their opponents, one of which has over 75,000 members should also be afforded the opportunity to attend.

We accept (but we shouldn't) that the Grand Final is a corporate affair and few fans can afford to fork out $1500 for a ticket, but we can't allow the AFL to further marginalise fans by denying them the opportunity to attend the penultimate game.

Gil must think we are morons to believe his spin. To justify using a ground with only 24k capacity because only 4000 away supporters turned up to a home and away game is beyond contempt. IT"S AN EFFING PRELIM! If Gil is so out of touch with the football public that he doesn't understand that the average football fan will make much more effort to travel for a final then he should step down.

The media is no better (with the exception of Mark Robinson who highlighted the likely lockout in an article on Sunday). Caroline Wilson (and others) were regurgitating the AFL line using 4k as the number of expected away fans should it be the Hawks and congratulating the AFL on it's decision. It shows that Jacko was right about one thing, the AFL media IS 'toilet trained' and the poor suffering aussie rules lover has no-one to turn to when we are treated with such disdain.

Next week when thousands of Doggies or Hawks fans are unable to buy a ticket I can already hear the spin from Gil and his media lapdogs congratulating themselves on the 'unexpected' support in NSW and what a wonderful problem it is to have. It will make my blood boil but what can we do?

The prelim is for the fans and to fail to use the ground NEXT DOOR with a far greater capacity simply on the basis that it won't sell out is yet another slap in the face for us fans. Does anyone other than the AFL actually care if they see empty seats while watching a game on tv? If yes, what on earth for?

It was the wrong decision to play the 2013 Qualifying final at Simmonds. Who knows what an extra 20k+ cats fans would have done to get them over the line, but either way I am sure there were thousands of members from both teams who missed out on attending because of capacity.

I know ANZ is a shithole but so too is Spotless (don't let the word 'boutique' give you any illusions, Spotless is a sty). If it had an appropriate capacity I don't give a toss, I just want the ability to attend if my team makes it.

Does anyone care about fans getting constantly screwed over by the AFL agenda? Or are we really as apathetic as the AFL want us to be?

For all we know this could be the last prelim GWS ever host, so may as well give them at least one at their home ground, especially their first. Probably not but nothing can be taken for granted in life or the league.

GWS earned the right to play a home prelim. It doesn't matter how many members there opponents have. It has nothing to do with how many fans the opposition team had.

They could play at ANZ, but that is a terrible ground for football. See how many players slipped over last week? The pitch looks chopped up around the boundaries as well.

GWS earned the right to play a final at there home ground, and they deserve to have it played at there actual home, not where the AFL decides they can fit more people in to cater for the opposition team.

Should've beaten Geelong.

Like 75,000 Hawthorn fans attended the prelim vs Freo last year.

While I agree we should have beaten Geelong, this is about the AFL not giving a rats for the real fans. If the bombers are in the prelim next year wouldn't you like the ability to see them play live? I think any Victorian, SA or WA team playing at Spotless would be a lockout for thousands of members.

Despite the AFL and media crush on the Giants, there will in fact be two teams playing in the prelim next Saturday twilight. Of course the Giants are entitled to a home state final, but the fans of their opponents, one of which has over 75,000 members should also be afforded the opportunity to attend.

We accept (but we shouldn't) that the Grand Final is a corporate affair and few fans can afford to fork out $1500 for a ticket, but we can't allow the AFL to further marginalise fans by denying them the opportunity to attend the penultimate game.

Gil must think we are morons to believe his spin. To justify using a ground with only 24k capacity because only 4000 away supporters turned up to a home and away game is beyond contempt. IT"S AN EFFING PRELIM! If Gil is so out of touch with the football public that he doesn't understand that the average football fan will make much more effort to travel for a final then he should step down.

The media is no better (with the exception of Mark Robinson who highlighted the likely lockout in an article on Sunday). Caroline Wilson (and others) were regurgitating the AFL line using 4k as the number of expected away fans should it be the Hawks and congratulating the AFL on it's decision. It shows that Jacko was right about one thing, the AFL media IS 'toilet trained' and the poor suffering aussie rules lover has no-one to turn to when we are treated with such disdain.

Next week when thousands of Doggies or Hawks fans are unable to buy a ticket I can already hear the spin from Gil and his media lapdogs congratulating themselves on the 'unexpected' support in NSW and what a wonderful problem it is to have. It will make my blood boil but what can we do?

The prelim is for the fans and to fail to use the ground NEXT DOOR with a far greater capacity simply on the basis that it won't sell out is yet another slap in the face for us fans. Does anyone other than the AFL actually care if they see empty seats while watching a game on tv? If yes, what on earth for?

It was the wrong decision to play the 2013 Qualifying final at Simmonds. Who knows what an extra 20k+ cats fans would have done to get them over the line, but either way I am sure there were thousands of members from both teams who missed out on attending because of capacity.

I know ANZ is a shithole but so too is Spotless (don't let the word 'boutique' give you any illusions, Spotless is a sty). If it had an appropriate capacity I don't give a toss, I just want the ability to attend if my team makes it.

Does anyone care about fans getting constantly screwed over by the AFL agenda? Or are we really as apathetic as the AFL want us to be?
I suggest you let your blood boil if it needs to. It's our home game, it's bèing played at Spotless.
This truth is self evident. If you're good enough to make it that's where the game will be held.

If you wanted home games you could have won last week. You didn't and now you take what you get.

While I agree we should have beaten Geelong, this is about the AFL not giving a rats for the real fans. If the bombers are in the prelim next year wouldn't you like the ability to see them play live? I think any Victorian, SA or WA team playing at Spotless would be a lockout for thousands of members.
That's sounds like a home final to me. Almost as if GWS won the Qualifying Final.

And besides, it's so thoughtful of you to think about the Bulldogs fans being potentially locked out next week.

For all we know this could be the last prelim GWS ever host, so may as well give them at least one at their home ground, especially their first. Probably not but nothing can be taken for granted in life or the league.

GWS will be in the prelim for the next five years at a minimum.

GWS will be in the prelim for the next five years at a minimum.

People thought Gold Coast would rise too but have not. Injuries and other issues occur at every club. And it is their first so why not let them host it at their home ground with the option to move future finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS earned the right to play a home prelim. It doesn't matter how many members there opponents have. It has nothing to do with how many fans the opposition team had.

They could play at ANZ, but that is a terrible ground for football. See how many players slipped over last week? The pitch looks chopped up around the boundaries as well.

GWS earned the right to play a final at there home ground, and they deserve to have it played at there actual home, not where the AFL decides they can fit more people in to cater for the opposition team.

So why do the Giants deserve this when the Swans didn't? The Swans finished top so why the sudden switch to 'home state' to 'deserving a home ground final'?

I suggest you let your blood boil if it needs to. It's our home game, it's bèing played at Spotless.
This truth is self evident. If you're good enough to make it that's where the game will be held.

If you wanted home games you could have won last week. You didn't and now you take what you get.

So the swans should have played at the SCG.

So why do the Giants deserve this when the Swans didn't? The Swans finished top so why the sudden switch to 'home state' to 'deserving a home ground final'?

I don't know. I thought that was the wrong decision anyway. The stadium hadn't been used all year, but now they decide to use it?

What was the official reason for it anyway? I didn't really look into it tbf.

Umm
Theres a southerly breeze and I think I smell fear coming from the South. I understand why you dont want to come to Spotless, at least be honest about it.
Fear, or a genuine question as to why your reasoning applies to the Giants but not the Swans?

Dogs had to play at the MCG last year
Swans had to play at ANZ last week

Giants different rules. Deadset making a mockery of the Comp the AFL are at how easy they are making it for this team.

And it's not fear it's disgust that an AFL puppet could be handed so many advantages it simply isn't fair anymore.

Except that this isn't the precedent set by the AFL. Rewind to last year's final between the Dogs and Crows, in which the Bulldogs' plea to have the match played at Etihad fell upon deaf ears. We played it where the AFL directed it to be played, with ground capacity being the pivotal issue.

Back