Milking rusted on fans dry - the AFL business Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

tl;dr those '15 players no other sides were permitted to recruit' were the dregs of what was left of the WAFL after it was already pillaged by the Victorian clubs. West Coast got lucky in that talent identification and drafting was poor back in the 1980s and we were left with relatively unknown youngsters which happened to be quite a talented bunch.

How very West Australian revisionism.

Has there ever been another footy side, ever, with 10 State of Origin players in it? Half of them coming from "the dregs", and the other half brought back from Victorian clubs under a concession allowing one contracted ex-WAFL player per vic club to be pinched by WC.

And then we can add a five year ban on the rest of the league drafting (from memory the top 4?) WA low age players each year. Plus a generous "father son" fairy tale on top of that.

After year one normal access for WC to the national draft and trades.

Experienced stars from day one, plus the best youth for years after, plus access to top up role players from elsewhere. Who'd have thought that could ever work?

I don't agree with Obeanie, I am fine with extra leg ups for NSW and Queensland (and GWS and GC in particular) because - whether you like it or not, traditionalist or otherwise - the future of the game lies north of Victoria.

On principle, I am completely fine with academies with incentives that benefit the expansion clubs. Maybe the execution can be better (like the top 40 picks rule) but there is no doubt it has helped the expansion of the game into non-traditional markets.

How very West Australian revisionism.

Has there ever been another footy side, ever, with 10 State of Origin players in it? Half of them coming from "the dregs", and the other half brought back from Victorian clubs under a concession allowing one contracted ex-WAFL player per vic club to be pinched by WC.

And then we can add a five year ban on the rest of the league drafting (from memory the top 4?) WA low age players each year. Plus a generous "father son" fairy tale on top of that.

After year one normal access for WC to the national draft and trades.

Experienced stars from day one, plus the best youth for years after, plus access to top up role players from elsewhere. Who'd have thought that could ever work?

Yeah nah.

Did you bother reading the post? Explains in great detail how the actual known WA stars were poached by the Victorian clubs before our entry into the VFL.

Leon Baker, Maurice Rioli, Gary Buckenara, Phil Krakouer, Jim Krakouer, Nicky Winmar, Brad Hardie, Simon Beasley, Earl Spalding, Peter Sartori, Andrew Purser, Ken Hunter, Wayne Blackwell, Mark Bairstow, Rod Lester-Smith, Jon Dorotich, Bill Duckworth, Michael Christian, Michael Mitchell, etc

None of them ever played for West Coast. A fair few stars in that list.

Geoff Miles, Shane Ellis, Dean Laidley, Ross Glendinning, Peter Davidson, Phil Narkle, Andrew MacNish, Laurie Keene, Dwayne Lamb, Colin Waterson. Thats 10.

That's the State of Origin 10. Precisely one played in the 1992 flag. Would be generous to call Miles, Ellis, Davidson, MacNish etc as stars of the competition.

We just lucked out with the youngsters left behind. In any draft year, a state league having 10 drafted is seen as a success, hence Eagles being given exclusive access to the 'dregs' as I said.

Last edited:

Yeah nah.

Did you bother reading the post? Explains in great detail how the actual known WA stars were poached by the Victorian clubs before our entry into the VFL.

None of them ever played for West Coast. A fair few stars in that list.

That's the State of Origin 10. Precisely one played in the 1992 flag. Would be generous to call Miles, Ellis, Davidson, MacNish etc as stars of the competition.

We just lucked out with the youngsters left behind. In any draft year, a state league having 10 drafted is seen as a success, hence Eagles being given exclusive access to the 'dregs' as I said.

You can repeat it as much as you want, and go but but but like a billy goat, it's still a fairy tale.

The fact is that 15 of the Eagles' first flag team and 17 of the second were players no other club had access to.

It's clear you don't like it, perhaps preferring to assume it was all a result of the all round wonderfulness and nobility of WA, but it is a fact.

You can repeat it as much as you want, and go but but but like a billy goat, it's still a fairy tale.

The fact is that 15 of the Eagles' first flag team and 17 of the second were players no other club had access to.

It's clear you don't like it, perhaps preferring to assume it was all a result of the all round wonderfulness and nobility of WA, but it is a fact.

Nah it's like if say Tasmania won the flag with the best 10 players already snapped up by other clubs in the couple of years before expansion (because they aren't idiots with no scouts) then Tasmania were given the next best 5 as the 'concession'. And then followed by the other AFL clubs being allowed to take one player each from Tasmania only (how generous) in the inaugural draft as Tasmania build their side. So if Tasmania somehow won the flag in 2030 you'd go 'the fact is 15 of the flag team were players no other AFL club had access to!'

It's clear you have a misconception that resists logic, but it is a fact.

Nah it's like if say Tasmania won the flag with the best 10 players already snapped up by other clubs in the couple of years before expansion (because they aren't idiots with no scouts) then Tasmania were given the next best 5 as the 'concession'. And then followed by the other AFL clubs being allowed to take one player each from Tasmania only (how generous) in the inaugural draft as Tasmania build their side. So if Tasmania somehow won the flag in 2030 you'd go 'the fact is 15 of the flag team were players no other AFL club had access to!'

It's clear you have a misconception that resists logic, but it is a fact.

Now you're just making s**t up.

Funny coming from a tigers fan whose team only managed to get a few premierships BECAUSE of the expansion teams coming in and affecting the drafts (mind you, Prestia, Townsend, Caddy and Lynch all helped win you those premierships)
Nothing helps a club win flags like having your draft capital lessened. Tell you what... how about the Tigers give the Giants a second round pick for their first round pick at the end of the season.

Nothing helps a club win flags like having your draft capital lessened. Tell you what... how about the Tigers give the Giants a second round pick for their first round pick at the end of the season.
You tried that …. We gave you TT for a couple of rubbish picks

I know everyone’s got their panties in a bunch about the Northern clubs leg ups but the Goldy drafting 3 locals in the 1st round last year was very promising for the future

I spent a good few years playing footy on the coast and the local club scene was great , I was only surprised it’s taken so long for the local talent to filter through but I think the Goldy in particular will be a pretty solid club from here on out , maybe not in a financial sense but definitely as a region that pays its way in generating young talent

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The comp is heavily biased towards Vic clubs in so many ways but there's always Vic supporters whinging about the "interstate" clubs. Here's another lame whinge.

Not enjoying the national comp now the Tiges are in for a loooong stint in the wilderness?

Its got nothing to do with this. Blaisee's on the money here, Victorian football fans just want their game back where you could play a rival twice a year and it would be in Melbourne. With the game being played under football rules not AFLX; you know where you have to kick the ball in from the square, no 6 6 6, tackles are awarded, physical sheperds within 5 m of the ball are legal, 50m penalties are reduced to 15m, more than one up in the ruck is permitted, where players aren't rewarded for throwing their head back or throwing themselves forward.

The national competition should always have been based on the strong football clubs outside of Victoria i.e. Port Adelaide, Norwood, Glenelg, S Fremantle, Claremont, East Perth, Southport Sharks, etc. These clubs would have been stronger financially and hence needing less in AFL handouts; in time this would have led to rivalries and provided greater interest. There is little appetite for watching the AFL's soulless franchises GC and GWS who after 15 years are given three times the AFL distributions going to Collingwood, Richmond and Hawthorn. Every year the draft is twisted to enable GC and GWS to have 3 picks in the top 20 and the rest of the competition has to rely upon less talent that they properly nurture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The comp is heavily biased towards Vic clubs in so many ways but there's always Vic supporters whinging about the "interstate" clubs. Here's another lame whinge.

Not enjoying the national comp now the Tiges are in for a loooong stint in the wilderness?
Never enjoyed the national comp

There is nothing in it for rusted on fans

There is no rivalry no tradition

A collection of Adelaide fans wearing hats with an A on them is not my idea of a relevant fan base

These franchises that have been created are just a waste of time

Did what better …. Whine about expansion teams? That’s all this thread is

This thread is about the fact that clubs like gws will be getting hand outs into perpetuity

Handouts from rusted on fans like me

Diluting the talent pool , and creating more income so more bonuses can be paid to soulless suits in afl house , to create more jobs for people to come up with more hair brain ideas that I have to pay for , while giving the afl grassland nothing of value in return

The business model is fatally flawed .

The reality is that gws have no fans , they pay people to turn up to games

Don’t get me wrong the 2019 prelim was a blast, but it was a ridiculous situation . 94k of the 95k in attendance were Richmond fans , how can that possibly be a sustainable business model ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back