Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

If it’s anything like last Evo, one cheap way to keep your main ruckman in position, is to edit him (and any other ruckman) to have 100% endurance/stamina or whatever it’s called. And if there’s recovery time, that too.
Trade this off by reducing their speed massively (except for the exceptional freaks) and I remember it meant they usually played out the game in the ruck.

Not perfect. But better than randoms taking over
Good idea to consider playing with, when get time to tinker with such stuff. Never played Evo 1 so got no idea about previous incarnation of game.

Sometimes I found my ruckman Kruezer named in backline so it seems some coding in game has some bias towards swapping ruck to backline and when it does it, it must swap with a backmen there. Might explain how I found Nic Newman in ruck so often and sometimes Kade Simpson too.

What I find weird is when it stops you from moving a player out of ruck when they clearly should not be there. There are times the name of Nic Newman text is not in black for me to move him to somewhere else as an option. When I have been able to move players, their name goes red for a moment until you decide where you moving too. Sometimes it does not even allow it to go red. It simply tells me this player is restricted and that is the few times I been stuck with Newman in ruck and not even able to change him out of it. Maybe there is a limit restricted on how many times you can move a player in a season ???

They really need to add in a depth chart for player positions, maybe linked off the team selection screen, so you can select the top 3 players you want in the ruck or FF of FB for example. Then it will make sure those 3 have priority to be played there on gameday instead of throwing randoms in.
They need that or positions imo.

You should be able to select which positions players scan and can’t get rotated to

Gary Lyon channels Russell Coight with his special comments gee
Mate he told me I needed to lift in the 3rd term when I had already kicked 10 goals

Personally I’m on board with. I prefer developers engage with the community and give us their honest thoughts regardless if they come across as salty and not then hide away under the guise of “professionalism”

I came on here because I was asked, and frankly it would be rude to not answer questions that I have the answers for, I've been here a very long time, it's not like I blew in here yesterday and don't go to the footy every week like everyone else here.

The alternative is the BS we have put up with in every press conference you ever saw - "one game at a time", "opposition were great", ad nauseum.... I'd rather see stuff like the raw Stacey Livingstone slamming Tayla Harris after the Collingwood win (even though I don't agree with her one bit!). For the fanboys who can't handle a little stick, there's also this thing called an Ignore button - you don't like what I say then use it.

Had the bug where the ball was punched through the goal line and it was declared out of bounds.....
In a similar token, I deliberately knocked the ball through the opponent's goal............the cpu ai took the kick ON THE BOUNDARY LINE instead of directly in front.... hmmm!!!

Why is it that most players take a Ben Brown style long run up before kicking the ball ?
Anddddddddddd the animation of the player doing a celebration run looks rather odd after a set shot for goal, I'd understand it if it were done after a goal on the run.

Personally the big issue I have is kicking to teammates, given camera doesn’t allow you to see upfield. Any suggestions?

Getting to the point now where I can chip it around and retain possession. Is making the game a lot more fun and realistic.

Apparently there's a way you can auto aim/lock on your kicks? Seems like cheating to me. Do it the old fashioned way. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also got a love when a player is running off the field and doesn’t go for the ball :/

Yeah this needs fixing badly. It’s nice that they do changes within play for realism sake, but when I think I’ve got a wide open guy leading to the wing, kick it to him, and watch him just sprint away from it I feel like they should just scrap that concept altogether.

I think positions that need to be added are outside mid, ruck/fwd, swing man and utility

Any tips for the contrast/brightness?

Playing on 65" Bravia 4k UHD. The game is too bright. When i turn down the contrast or brightness, the crowd look like Africans and it looks worse.

Some of the grass shots in the game (especially the MCG on a sunny clear day) has me like

1248075250110.jpg

I have to choose another setting n my tv or risk burning my eyes!

“Ashes Cricket isn’t perfect, but that’s unfortunately to be expected from Big Ant cricket games at launch.”

“If you can get over the numerous yet humorous glitches and expect them to be patched out later, then this is a decent cricket simulator”

“Like an ambitious rookie, AO Tennis appeared promising, with alleged photo realistic looks and authenticity backed by a extensive data built AI. But Big Ant Studios' production can't live up to these expectations”

“At its best, AO Tennis is a clumsily controlled simulation of the sport. At its worst, it’s underdeveloped, under-featured and entirely broken in certain areas.”

“With its poor presentation, lack of content, and frustrating controls, AO Tennis in its current state is subpar at best, and requires much more refinement to even meet the standard of last generation's tennis titles. Rather than a Roger Federer-esque ace, AO Tennis is more akin to a double fault whose shots don't even make the net.”

“While the presentation of the Australian Open is quite entertaining, the overall experience with its limited freedom of movement and strong focus on automatisms is mediocre at best.”

I would say it is interesting to read the comments regarding "early release" for a game that's been delayed a couple of years - I might add the "early release" to our PR spin next time we're late on a game - well played :)

Maybe you fellas should concentrate a little more on your own game launches before having a crack at the opposition.

Last edited:
“Ashes Cricket isn’t perfect, but that’s unfortunately to be expected from Big Ant cricket games at launch.”

“If you can get over the numerous yet humorous glitches and expect them to be patched out later, then this is a decent cricket simulator”

“Like an ambitious rookie, AO Tennis appeared promising, with alleged photo realistic looks and authenticity backed by a extensive data built AI. But Big Ant Studios' production can't live up to these expectations”

“At its best, AO Tennis is a clumsily controlled simulation of the sport. At its worst, it’s underdeveloped, under-featured and entirely broken in certain areas.”

“With its poor presentation, lack of content, and frustrating controls, AO Tennis in its current state is subpar at best, and requires much more refinement to even meet the standard of last generation's tennis titles. Rather than a Roger Federer-esque ace, AO Tennis is more akin to a double fault whose shots don't even make the net.”

“While the presentation of the Australian Open is quite entertaining, the overall experience with its limited freedom of movement and strong focus on automatisms is mediocre at best.”

Maybe you fellas should concentrate onyour own title’s launches before throwing stones..

I'd hate to be on topic, but we still made the best selling AFL game of all time (you can't dispute that), and arguably the best game also.... anytime you want to hit that Ignore button just go ahead.

PS: BTW Both AO2 and Cricket 19 have higher review scores than AFL Evo 2, indeed in the same publication AO2 has an 8 whereas AFL Evo 2 has a 6.5 - but hey, fanboy's are never going to let the facts get in the way of a story.

Getting to the point now where I'm working out a few things control wise and starting to build some nice chains of play up after really persisting through feeling like I had no sense of control.

Camera wise find end to end locked works for me mid setting with zoom at 40 seems to work a treat. Kick receiver can be hard to see but you work it out pretty quick.

Overall now that I have started clicking with the game I'm finding it pretty fun to be honest like its not great but I defiantly overreacted when I called it worse then evo 1, defiantly an improvement once you work out how to play it.

Doing a sort of road to glory with the Gold Coast Suns and finding it fun. Something about building a dynasty with the worst rated team in sports games i speaks to me. Watch Gold Coast form a special place in my heart now lmao

AO Tennis got patched extensively with huge updates quickly after launch (1-2 14-15gb sized patches iirc within 4-10 days of launch) improving the game tenfold and adding content, it also kept adding heaps throughout the year (40 plus patches) and included a patch with content for the AO 2019 added free of charge something WW and Tru Blu makes us pay for with the dlc packs every year adding updated lists. Big Ant also owned up to AO's shaky launch very publicly and professionally. The updates to AO 1 and how much they improved it and listened to customer feedback has shown me that Big Ant do care a lot for their games and their players.

I have had AO 2 since launch and have loved it they took all the good from AO 1 and improved it heaps while adding so much more to career etc they are still adding content to it now with new players which they could of easily made in game purchases all for free. AO 2 is a huge presentation update compared to AO 1 too and their career mode is incredibly done for a Aussie studio with cutscenes and interviews

I have had AFL Evo and Evo 2 while their are improvements made to Evo 1 the presentation is still the same and it's bad presentation too like ps2 standard, the graphics are not improved at all imo, and the career mode is presented very boringly.

This game needs a major patch

Maybe you fellas should concentrate a little more on your own game launches before having a crack at the opposition.

This has made my night

I'd hate to be on topic, but we still made the best selling AFL game of all time (you can't dispute that), and arguably the best game also.... anytime you want to hit that Ignore button just go ahead.

PS: BTW Both AO2 and Cricket 19 have higher review scores than AFL Evo 2, indeed in the same publication AO2 has an 8 whereas AFL Evo 2 has a 6.5 - but hey, fanboy's are never going to let the facts get in the way of a story.

Alright, we’ll stick just with footy if we can’t compare very similar sounding reviews for other games you’ve released.
So AFL Live surely must have scored 10/10s from the likes of IGN and Gamespot based on your nostalgic reviews of it. Maybe I’ll have to double check?

Point is, game launches can be very shaky, especially with smaller devs like yourselves. Adammonerz just attested to how much patching some games have needed to be enjoyable. And hopefully WW do a similar thing (there was quite a few patches for Evo 1 from memory).
But sitting there making snide potshot remarks about a newly released game, one that you keep saying you could have done better - but haven’t, is pretty pathetic from a competing developer.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back