AFL Evolution - Out May 5 - (Cont in LAUNCH THREAD - link in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not count The Wii version? Live 2 is basically that game with a few alterations.
Wasn't sold to primary gaming markets (i.e. Playstation, Xbox, PC). Like most of WW's AFL games, it was a low-budget iteration released on low-end hardware. You would expect better for a game receiving greater advertising and that is aimed at the more serious gaming platforms.

I really don't blame people for doing that to be honest. (I didn't even buy it until the update and that was only because I needed a sim engine for my fantasy league where I could change line-ups without having to do a custom season. I haven't looked back since I managed to get Footy Fanatic FX working.) But ultimately at this point, It might be better to have WW stay on and work on future iterations instead of just shipping off the IP to another even cheaper company to create a game that is even worse than AFL Live 2. (Gameplay withholding at the moment but keep in mind, Even the great Big Ant didn't have a great start with the RLL series and look where that is today.)

It really only took them 2 attempts to get League more coherent. AFL, cricket and Lacrosse it was basically one iteration to get the basics right. WW haven't done so in 6 attempts. I hope I'm completely wrong, and the game just knocks it right out of the park. However, it looks like it's just imitating the old games from what I saw.

They've stated they're imitating the old games. That's a lot different to what Big Ant did by creating a whole new game based on their game analysis.

The point is they're developing the technology and systems for a whole new console. AFL Live 2 was a money grab porting their Wii project to PS3 and it obviously failed. They've now gone back and taken their time designing a HOPEFULLY good AFL game.

As an example, think of the time it would have taken to do RnD the face scanning technology and implement a system and pipeline for this one feature alone. If they get the next game they'll have worked out best practices for all these features, and can spend that money on something else.

If Evolution 2 changes developers... it'll be another 7 years before we get anything playable imo.

Probably a good idea to ring Big W etc who might not care when it's released. Is it normal for JB to ship a game this early with the release date Friday?

My order shipped earlier today. The only other game that I've pre-ordered for delivery from JB is Pokemon Sun. That shipped on a Thursday and got to my place around 2:30 pm Friday so fingers crossed I get it tomorrow.

The point is they're developing the technology and systems for a whole new console. AFL Live 2 was a money grab porting their Wii project to PS3 and it obviously failed. They've now gone back and taken their time designing a HOPEFULLY good AFL game.

As an example, think of the time it would have taken to do RnD the face scanning technology and implement a system and pipeline for this one feature alone. If they get the next game they'll have worked out best practices for all these features, and can spend that money on something else.

If Evolution 2 changes developers... it'll be another 7 years before we get anything playable imo.

Wicked Witch are imitating Big Ant's fanhub and have their own player creations with their other titles. I don't believe It'd take 7 years for Big Ant to create a sequel to Live 1, let alone Evolution.

"with the aim being to take the best parts of AFL Live 1, the good things about AFL Live 2, and even some influence from some of the older titles."

imitating
  1. take or follow as a model.
But they are all totally different games. They aren't imitating them at all. They are taking the best parts of each and combining them into their own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there anything stopping someone making an unlicensed Australian Rules Football game, ala DBC or PES? The biggest entry barrier would most likely be funding and marketing, as the AFL would do anything in their power to squash it.

Evolution seems like a much better base foundation to build off of than Live 1 was (as long as the gameplay is solid)

If Evolution manages to get the gameplay right then they've also got the career and pro modes as well as a brilliant player creator

So moving forward they wouldn't have to implement whole new game modes (like big ant have had to) they'll just be able to add depth to the modes that are already there

Is there anything stopping someone making an unlicensed Australian Rules Football game, ala DBC or PES? The biggest entry barrier would most likely be funding and marketing, as the AFL would do anything in their power to squash it.

The AFL should be following FIFA's example by giving the license to a developer and paying them. This "balance sheet" is what's really killing the progress.

I don't want to wait anymore.
1obmll.jpg

But they are all totally different games. They aren't imitating them at all. They are taking the best parts of each and combining them into their own.
Personally, if I were developing an AFL game, I wouldn't be making any comparisons to previous games, which all have a reputation for being poor games. I'd very much be championing freshness and innovation in the genre. The name at least aligns with dissociation with previous titles. Hopefully it is a significant evolution from the Live branding.

Nothing stopping them. It's just that no one would do it because it wouldn't sell.

AFL games are already an unattractive proposition because the market isn't big enough for them to sell well. If you go the route of a game without any AFL branding or known teams and players, then it appeals to an even narrower market.

Got a mate that works at EB who said I can grab my copy tomorrow night. For those who cant wait the sleep and have to know the details, Im happy to post some gameplay and features and do a little review on here. I swear Im not trolling or full of s**t!
IMG_1235.jpg

Nothing stopping them. It's just that no one would do it because it wouldn't sell.

AFL games are already an unattractive proposition because the market isn't big enough for them to sell well. If you go the route of a game without any AFL branding or known teams and players, then it appeals to an even narrower market.

The AFL would need to fund it as a marketing strategy. Especially now they're expanding overseas. You'd think video games would be a safer investment than two expansion teams in Rugby League territory...

Getting the game tomorrow night. Should I upload gameplay and features here or are people happy to wait an extra sleep?

I personally would like to see them, as i wont be getting it until after work Friday arvo :( Will make the day a bit faster haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back