AFL Media already making a profit

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we may be at this point already.

The problem is that once there's no significant AFL reporting outside of Melbourne, let alone Aus.

If the other sports tried this there'd be a plethora of foreign based news sites that fans could rely on for at lest some unbiased articles. This backup doesn't exist for the AFL, and with AD wanting to 'fix' things that don't necessarily need fixing it it doesn't bode well for fans wanting coverage that doesn't fit with the party line.
I don't get your point the reporting on Football is large and varied and for your infomation according to Alexa there are 199 dedicated Australian Rules websites worldwide compared to 136 for Rugby League. Just because the bulk comes out of Melbourne does not mean they are there to toe the AFL line. I would imagine the same thing for NRL in Sydney.

For comparisons sake if you look at the top 500 sites for football (all codes excluding soccer and gaelic) as you could imagine American Football dominates but the Australian football sites manages to appear 25 times compared to 14 for Rugby league and tend to be higher in the ranking as shown by the list below (Rugby League sites in red)

14 The Australian Football League
21 RealFooty
34 BigFooty
64 FootyGoss
71 National Rugby League
89 Bomberland
107 League Unlimited
134 Richmond Football Club
136 Foxsports.com.au: Rugby League
144 Footytips
156 Foxsports.com.au: AFL
169 The Dons: Essendon Football Club fan Site
183 Sydney Swans Online
184 Collingwood Football Club
222 Rugby League Supporters Association Online
224 World of Rugby League
225 Hawthorn Football Club
279 Sky Sports: Rugby League
280 Western Bulldogs Football Club
281 Carlton Football Club
287 Parramatta Eels
288 One Eyed Richmond
293 Kangaroos
318 Adelaide Football Club
330 Fremantle Football Club
358 St Kilda Football Club
364 The Melbourne Football Club
371 St George Illawarra Dragons
399 Canberra Raiders
412 Melbourne Storm
414 SaintSational.net
419 Castleford Tigers
431 Yahoo!7 Sports: AFL
437 Red and White Online
440 Saints
447 South Sydney Rabbitohs
450 Demonland
469 BBC Sport: Rugby League
485 West Coast Eagles Football Club

From that list it can be seen that the AFL is in a much better position to make money from selling football broadcasts than Foxtel. Foxtel is another news limited organisation that I cannot stand. I refuse to buy foxtel and you can probably see that plenty football lovers feel the same way based on the rankings above.

I don't get your point the reporting on Football is large and varied and for your infomation according to Alexa there are 199 dedicated Australian Rules websites worldwide compared to 136 for Rugby League. Just because the bulk comes out of Melbourne does not mean they are there to toe the AFL line. I would imagine the same thing for NRL in Sydney.

For comparisons sake if you look at the top 500 sites for football (all codes excluding soccer and gaelic) as you could imagine American Football dominates but the Australian football sites manages to appear 25 times compared to 14 for Rugby league and tend to be higher in the ranking as shown by the list below (Rugby League sites in red)

14 The Australian Football League
21 RealFooty
34 BigFooty
64 FootyGoss
71 National Rugby League
89 Bomberland
107 League Unlimited
134 Richmond Football Club
136 Foxsports.com.au: Rugby League
144 Footytips
156 Foxsports.com.au: AFL
169 The Dons: Essendon Football Club fan Site
183 Sydney Swans Online
184 Collingwood Football Club
222 Rugby League Supporters Association Online
224 World of Rugby League
225 Hawthorn Football Club
279 Sky Sports: Rugby League
280 Western Bulldogs Football Club
281 Carlton Football Club
287 Parramatta Eels
288 One Eyed Richmond
293 Kangaroos
318 Adelaide Football Club
330 Fremantle Football Club
358 St Kilda Football Club
364 The Melbourne Football Club
371 St George Illawarra Dragons
399 Canberra Raiders
412 Melbourne Storm
414 SaintSational.net
419 Castleford Tigers
431 Yahoo!7 Sports: AFL
437 Red and White Online
440 Saints
447 South Sydney Rabbitohs
450 Demonland
469 BBC Sport: Rugby League
485 West Coast Eagles Football Club

Im pretty impressed that the AFL website comes in at 14th, Im almost certain that Realfootys position has been enhanced by people flocking there from Superfooty since it went to paywall, Superfooty isnt even rating a mention. Couple of Union sites (Uk and SA) in the top 30 too.

Im pretty impressed that the AFL website comes in at 14th, Im almost certain that Realfootys position has been enhanced by people flocking there from Superfooty since it went to paywall, Superfooty isnt even rating a mention. Couple of Union sites (Uk and SA) in the top 30 too.

Realfooty will be going to a paywall in January.

http://www.thecitizen.org.au/media/...y-afls-media-play-threatens-big-media-players
After 15 months of operation it is, according to Head of Content at AFL Media, Matt Pinkney, the biggest sports website (that is, afl.com.au plus the clubs’ separate sites) in Australia – bigger than the online sport sections of the entire News Ltd network and Fairfax.

The AFL’s online behemoth draws almost 3 million unique browsers a week, well up on last year’s figure.

FOOTY'S NEW
POWER TEAM
  • 16 reporters working across all platforms (web, mobile, app, Footy Record, AFL products)
  • 2 sub-editors handling the copy of reporters
  • 20 video journalists and producers creating content for AFL platforms and custom publishing business (eg: Club membership campaigns)
  • 20 development and product staff
  • 2 social media staff
  • 5 photographers, working on match days and for custom publishing
  • 11 designers
  • 1 analytics person
  • Various administration staff and managers[/B]
* afl.com.au has approval for 105 staff all up
http://www.thecitizen.org.au/media/...y-afls-media-play-threatens-big-media-players

I didn't realise just how well-staffed AFL Media was until I read this article. I've since noted that other articles linked to in this thread have also made mention of the resources at AFLM's disposal.

It seems to me that the ubiquity of high-speed internet will allow the AFL (and other sports bodies) to more or less kill Fox Sports (and with it Foxtel) if they so wish.

All I ask is that they don't hire flogs like Darcy and 'Robbo'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back