Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v Richmond, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 22 April

Predict the winner and margin

• Geelong by 49+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geelong by 25-48

• Geelong by 1-24

• Draw

• Richmond by 1-24

• Richmond by 25-48

• Richmond by 49+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anybody still requires more proof that last Sunday's game was nothing more than an "off night", please have a look at this interesting video i found on youtube, - an indepth look at how Geelong can be beaten.
Chill out peeps, we had a bad day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMu924F_ThM

Amusing if somewhat depressing video!

Can't believe how many skill errors we made, many of them unforced. Hopefully it was a one off performance - guess we'll find out on Sunday.

I'm shattered. Normally get e-mails from the footy club indicating tickets on sale. Got absolutely nothing and had no idea I had to pre-book for standing room. I believe my membership is useless this week, with all standing room gone. Can't even watch it on FTA.

Edit: Oh and I'm looking forward to a repeat of 2007 Rounds Five and Six. North...Richmond...

Geelong 4.3 6.8 10.10 15.12 102 Sun 29-Apr-2007 2:15 PM Att:21,468 Venue: Kardinia Park
Kangaroos 6.3 12.5 15.7 18.10 118 Kangaroos won by 16 pts

Richmond 1.1 2.7 5.9 9.11 65 Sun 06-May-2007 5:10 PM Att:34,584 Venue: Docklands
Geelong 10.2 20.6 29.9 35.12 222 Geelong won by 157 pts

After the Kangaroos performance it's all I can draw on.

Lol. Can't believe some of the errors we made.

What strikes me most about that compilation is how almost all of the skill errors were either completely unforced or under minimal pressure. North were good, don't get me wrong - their kids look outstanding to me - but to be honest I spent more of the game cringing at out insipid ball use, then I did watching in bewilderment at our players unable to cope with North's furious pressing.

Not implying that the former is any better then the latter though. We absolutely butchered it all day, and if you're going to lose both the contested and uncontested ball counts, your disposal efficiency had better be elite.

Our doctor says Mackie had plastic surgery on his lip and is 50-50 to face the Tigers.

I assume the 50-50 bit must be him having to pass the standard concussion tests as you doubt a lip problem would keep him out.

anyone rekn GHS will get a full game this week?

I thought he was quite good against Norf.

I can see Brown getting a game too after slotting 5 in the magoos

Yep GHS should get a full game, was good.

Brown's a chance, probably depends on whether Gillies goes out though (as otherwise we may have too many talls) and that may depend on whether they are prepared to play Brown down back or not (particularly if Mackie or Smedts don't come up).

Hyphen should and could definitely receive a full game. Would really like Brown to be named in the side for Sunday but wouldn't guarantee it at all, particularly if Smedts and/or Mackie are cleared to play. Was unable to watch much of the North game (fortunately), what was Gillies' contribution like? Did it justify him keeping his spot in the side for this week?
I'm confident Lonergan can get the job done on Jack Riewoldt should he use his body effectively, hold onto marks, and get involved in one on one contests rather than allowing him to lead. Trent Cotchin will need some close attention also, he simply cannot be let off the leash like Boomer was on Sunday and will obviously require a very close tag. The services of Bundy and Motlop should again be handy, and I'm seeking an improved effort from Chapman (want him played permanently up forward though).
Either way, if we are serious and switched on, then a minimum 7-8 goal victory is on the cards. My concern is whether we will be switched on this week, which should be the case (particularly after a rocket from Scotty).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our doctor says Mackie had plastic surgery on his lip and is 50-50 to face the Tigers.

I assume the 50-50 bit must be him having to pass the standard concussion tests as you doubt a lip problem would keep him out.

Was Mackie concussed? my interpretation of the law is if a player suffers concussion they are not allowed to return to the field of play(duty of care)I believe Mackie sat it out on the bench to half time and the decision to sub him off was made then.
That doesn't seam to fit the concussion rule if I have it right.

Was Mackie concussed? my interpretation of the law is if a player suffers concussion they are not allowed to return to the field of play(duty of care)I believe Mackie sat it out on the bench to half time and the decision to sub him off was made then.

I believe they would have tried to hold off on doing to test until half time so that there was a better chance he would pass it.

We're definately missing Varcoe's zip in the midfield and forward line. the guy has fantasic forward pressure too, and Wojo. Get them 2 back and we'll automatically look a lot faster and sharper.
But in reference to the Richmond game - lol, this is not a "Danger game"
Has Geelong not taught you anything in the past 5 years? It's that we dont like losing and hardly ever lose 2 a in row.

We lost 2 in a row last year, and have this season alreadly lost 2 out of 3. Hardly world shattering form.

you are incorrect. He went straight down the tunnel to get his lip sorted and his HI assessed. Then it was1/2 time, and of course he was subbed off.

Re: Supporters Expectations - VS Tigers

Do you agree that Richmond are 4-6 weeks ahead of Geelong in overall fitness?

Nope. I hate that excuse. Do people realise winning the premiership is actually the aim? The sole aim, in fact.

Let's take it further, does anyone have dates that each side started training? I want to see how big this gap is or if it isn't yet another bullshit excuse fans are conditioned to accept immediately.

The hypothetical late start has nothing to do with our form - that doesn't excuse lack of intensity at the ball. We just have to face facts that they haven't been up to it so far this year.

Looking forward to it.

Richmond are on the improve and after they beat us down here a few weeks ago, we should know we will be in for a tough contest.

Hopefully we bring intensity right from the start unlike last night.

Scott said on tweet the coach last week that he thinks Smedts is best 22 and should play 15-20 games so I take that to mean he will play seniors whenever fit so he will come in, probably for Gillies.

Stokes for Byrnes.

What does Stokes have that Byrnes doesn't? Neither are in particularly good form, at least Byrnes has genuine pace.

Re: Supporters Expectations - VS Tigers

Nope. I hate that excuse. Do people realise winning the premiership is actually the aim? The sole aim, in fact.

Let's take it further, does anyone have dates that each side started training? I want to see how big this gap is or if it isn't yet another bullshit excuse fans are conditioned to accept immediately.

The hypothetical late start has nothing to do with our form - that doesn't excuse lack of intensity at the ball. We just have to face facts that they haven't been up to it so far this year.

But premierships are not won in April.

Very strange paragraph Partidge because you are almost agreeing that Geelong haven't had a more physical end to their season than what Richmond did?

We played finals football and that's an automatic 4 weeks of football added onto the Geelong boys than the Richmond boys.

While they had their summer holiday, we were playing in a Grand final and by the time they got back their fitness staff were putting each player on the appropriate programs for preseason.
It's no excuse but it does mean the Geelong players will be slower at the start of the year than the teams who didn't make finals football or suffer injuries in finals like we did.

I would like to know what time each team started their preseason training as well ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back