Opinion AFL Sanctioned Cheating

Remove this Banner Ad

My point here is that the AFL shouldn't be footing that bill. If the AFL is paying him to be an Ambassador up there that cash should be part of their footy department spending. Otherwise why isn't Fagan, Longmire and Kingsly getting a piece of the pie?

But the footy department is paying for a coach not an ambassador. So third party payments are OK if not made by the AFL? Which them means clubs like Richmond have a huge advantage over clubs like the Suns.

But the footy department is paying for a coach not an ambassador. So third party payments are OK if not made by the AFL? Which them means clubs like Richmond have a huge advantage over clubs like the Suns.
If it is a significant amount then yes. I would put a hard line, if the Ambassadorial Work yields a payment more than 10% of the coaches annual salary then the whole payment must be added to the cost cap.

The more I have thought about it the more I think that if there is a tangible link between club and corporation then it should 100% be treated the same way. For example, Richmond is sponsored by NIB. I would say any payment from NIB to any Richmond player has to be scrutinised. However, if the Richmond player gets a sponsorship/Ambassadorial deal from a company that doesn't already spend advertisement money with the club then it would be ok, I wouldnt want to stop players using their own initiative to go off and earn a crust.

I’m not concerned If the AFL want to give gold a leg up so they can actually compete.

As long as it’s not more draft picks as they just waste the talent.
If he's smart and the AFL are the ones pushing it, Hardwick would hold out for picks too.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well Dimma wouldn't be doing it for the money - he was pretty much on maximum wage at Tigerland.

Hope he gets the Suns gig though. For one, it'll give them a decent boost, but more importantly it's one less team in the same market as us for the best coach.

Dimma is no one man band & he's not ever been outside a heartland AFL environment.

As Dimma was contracted till the end of 2024 with the Tigers, surely there'd be some sort of clause that he couldn't just rock up all of a sudden and be coaching a new team in 2023... does make you wonder.
I’m sure the AFL will have an out somewhere

All he needed to say was that he thought it was time for change at Richmond, give someone else the reigns and move on.

That looks better than “I need a break from footy” and look to sign up with an opposition club 2/3rds of the season through IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back