AFL Season Solution. 3 Part in 3 Rotating Regions. Gives Flexibility and cuts travel

Remove this Banner Ad

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Here is the solution for the AFL Season 2020.

Split the 18 teams into 3 Groups of 6.

First Rotation
6 Teams in Victoria (MCG & Etihad)
6 Teams in Northern Territory (Darwin & Alice Springs)
6 Teams in Tasmania (Launceston & Hobart)

Yes - get special dispensation from Tasmania & NT but I'm sure with proper screening this could be arranged. If not, go somewhere else first.

Play the other 5 teams over the next 4 weeks.

Then go to the Second Rotations
6 teams in Victoria (MCG & Etihad)
6 teams in WA-Perth (Perth Stadium)
6 teams in Queensland (Gabba & Gold Coast)

Play other 5 teams over next 4 weeks.

Then go to the Third Rotation
6 teams in Victoria (MCG & Etihad)
6 teams in SA-Adelaide (Adelaide Oval)
6 teams in NSW (SCG & Giants Stadium)

Play other 5 teams over next 4 weeks.

Between the rotations you might have a 2 week break.

Splitting the competition in 3 gives flexibility.

If there is a positive test - only that team and the other 5 teams in that region need to stand down. The two other regions can KEEP PLAYING.

This gives the league flexibility to deal with a positive test - and it also means the league cuts down significantly on travel.

Essentially you can play the season in 3 4 week blocks with games every night coming from a different region. 2 week breaks in between.

It also respects travel restrictions and is more in line with community sentiment than teams flying back and forth across the country every week.

Of course I have picked out 7 regions. That doesn't have to be set in stone. Maybe NT wouldn't agree with this. Fair enough. I'm sure Tasmania would agree to host 6 AFL Teams for a month - even if it means a 2 week quarantine period up front. Maybe you put them in the second rotation.

This is a solution to get this season played and create immense flexibility in the draw.

Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back