AFL State of Origin - time to bring it back?

Should the AFL bring back state of origin?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The players get paid to play, get to be recognised as the elite of the competition and get their bye the week before or after, not split over a million weeks like currently.

I think people are in the mindset it needs to be as big as the rugby one from day dot, a full house at Optus stadium and a good tv audience due to the novelty factor can only be good for the game even if it's not massive from the first day.

It's the same thing as gather round and all the naysayers around that, gotta try things, it could be very successful if tried in different format and you make it like a footy festival and boys trip in the heart of the Victorian winter.

I'm talking paid heavily. These are guys who are elite players on 600,000-1,000,000 a year. What figure is going to make them really want to run out of the field for a made up club which might jeopardise their career through injury? probably 100K each with a 50K incentive for a win. I bet it's nowhere near that.
It doesn't have to be big, but it does have to feel relevant. At this stage, to me it doesn't. It feels on the same level as international rules. It used to be good before AFL football went up a level, became more about running and we just smash the Irish every time unless we send C grade sides in.

Professionalism has killed off exhibition matches.

I think if it was to work, then you do it out of season. Say after the grand final. Preseason is probably too early.

It's not the same thing as gather round. Gather round is home and away. Players are playing for 4 points and are not playing unnecessary games where they could get injured.

Loved SOO footy back in the day but we all lost interest in it. I don't know that that has changed. I am willing to bet that a few years in people will lose interest again. Could be wrong, things change but the last one looked like a kick and giggle game and it was.

I'm talking paid heavily. These are guys who are elite players on 600,000-1,000,000 a year. What figure is going to make them really want to run out of the field for a made up club which might jeopardise their career through injury? probably 100K each with a 50K incentive for a win. I bet it's nowhere near that.
It doesn't have to be big, but it does have to feel relevant. At this stage, to me it doesn't. It feels on the same level as international rules. It used to be good before AFL football went up a level, became more about running and we just smash the Irish every time unless we send C grade sides in.

Professionalism has killed off exhibition matches.

I think if it was to work, then you do it out of season. Say after the grand final. Preseason is probably too early.

It's not the same thing as gather round. Gather round is home and away. Players are playing for 4 points and are not playing unnecessary games where they could get injured.

Loved SOO footy back in the day but we all lost interest in it. I don't know that that has changed. I am willing to bet that a few years in people will lose interest again. Could be wrong, things change but the last one looked like a kick and giggle game and it was.

Yeah but that was due to Victoria having a population boom and being too strong and the silly allies concept. The match ups I proposed are a lot more close and teams actually representing their area, not a combination of states in one team.

Around 30k per player, if they get selected and pull out due to injury then they need to miss the following club game (unless concussion).

I'd like to see a NSW vs Qld SOO in the off season, probably a pre-season game. Relax the rules too so if a player is with one of these clubs for 5 years then they qualify, would be great for developing the game in the Northern states

Yeah but that was due to Victoria having a population boom and being too strong and the silly allies concept. The match ups I proposed are a lot more close and teams actually representing their area, not a combination of states in one team.

Around 30k per player, if they get selected and pull out due to injury then they need to miss the following club game (unless concussion).

The breaking block for mine is made up sides will not be taken seriously and you can't have Victoria playing SA or WA because it will be a flogging and no one wants to see that.

Serious money needs to be laid out to get the top players and monetary incentive to win so that the game is taken seriously needs to be included because the last "state" game was a s**t show. It was kick and giggle.

The breaking block for mine is made up sides will not be taken seriously and you can't have Victoria playing SA or WA because it will be a flogging and no one wants to see that.

Serious money needs to be laid out to get the top players and monetary incentive to win so that the game is taken seriously needs to be included because the last "state" game was a s**t show. It was kick and giggle.
SA vs WA would be a cracker contest and fans would turn up in droves.

How would the WA team look I’ll have a rough go but I don’t think I know all the West Aus players off the top of my head.

B- Baker Barass Broad
HB- Duncan Taylor Jones
C- Kelly Cripps N Martin
HFF- Bolton Naughton Fyfe
FF- Walters Allen Cameron
R- English Warner Coniglio
Int- Clark Br Hill Jackson D Rioli

The same morons who want the day GF want SOO back. Hey guess what backward people it’s 2023 people don’t give a s**t about interstate games and I’ve got lawns to mow and the weekly shop to do at 3pm on GF day.

Seeing the way young Queenslanders Will Ashcroft and Jaspa Fletcher are playing today has me thinking a hypothetical Queensland state team could be very strong in a few years from now considering the latest draft predictions have fellow Queenslanders Jed Walter (key forward/#2), Ethan Read (ruck/#5) and Jake Rogers (midfielder/#12) all being drafted inside the top 12 picks this year. There are a few more Queenslanders in the following years drafts that are also looking like first round talent but it's probably a bit early to make that call.

We may be on the verge of an explosion of high end footy talent from Queensland akin to the mid 90s when the Lions were able to stockpile local talent that would later lead them to a dynasty - Michael Voss (1992), Clark Keating (1993), Jason Akermanis (1994), Mal Michael (1996) etc. It's a fantastic result for the growth of the game and nice to see the AFL's hard work in Queensland over the last 10 years is paying dividends.

Give it a few years and the Queensland state team could be on the same quality level as New South Wales/South Australia. Maybe, just maybe, that will be enough for the AFL to consider re-introducing state footy at the highest level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing the way young Queenslanders Will Ashcroft and Jaspa Fletcher are playing today has me thinking a hypothetical Queensland state team could be very strong in a few years from now considering the latest draft predictions have fellow Queenslanders Jed Walter (key forward/#2), Ethan Read (ruck/#5) and Jake Rogers (midfielder/#12) all being drafted inside the top 12 picks this year. There are a few more Queenslanders in the following years drafts that are also looking like first round talent but it's probably a bit early to make that call.

We may be on the verge of an explosion of high end footy talent from Queensland akin to the mid 90s when the Lions were able to stockpile local talent that would later lead them to a dynasty - Michael Voss (1992), Clark Keating (1993), Jason Akermanis (1994), Mal Michael (1996) etc. It's a fantastic result for the growth of the game and nice to see the AFL's hard work in Queensland over the last 10 years is paying dividends.

Give it a few years and the Queensland state team could be on the same quality level as New South Wales/South Australia. Maybe, just maybe, that will be enough for the AFL to consider re-introducing state footy at the highest level.

Completely agree and the good thing is it's not the quantity but the quality of players produced by a state that matters most. With the academies nsw and more so qld in the next few years are churning out first round picks that would make up the bulk of any state side in the future. Even this year both qld and nsw would have decent teams let alone in 5 to 10 years. It would be great for the promotion of AFL in the northern states if these regions were fielding strong state sides in an AFL state of origin game.

Back