Fixture Afl stuff up 2023 finals fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

The Afl if they haven't realised yet have stuffed up the finals fixture.
With Bris/Port playing sat night the loser will have to host the semi next sat. night to allow for the 7 day break between games. Which is ok
But the winner of that semi will play Collingwood in the prelim. That means Collingwood can't host it on the Friday night like they would expect because that will give the semi winner only a 6 day break, meaning the magpies prelim will have to be Sat twighlight. So the winner of Bris/ Port will have to host the fri prelim. They will play the winner of the melb/ carl or syd semi which will be next Friday night.The bris/ Port game should have been played fri night and carl/ syd on sat night and just have the st kilda/ gws game sat arvo at marvel.
Hope this all makes sense

All this and not realising that someone was going to have a 6 day break - Carlton/Swans winner played on Saturday would then play Friday?

So either way a side has a 6 day break

Oh no

I also agree with why are we so worried about a minor disadvantage to the teams that lost a QF & finished 7th?

Its not meant to be inherently fair, the home ground, double chances and weeks off are advantages That are earned.

It's odd it hasn't been announced yet. They always announce it by now. If it was such an open and shut case of Collingwood will host on the Friday you'd think we'd know by now.

It's odd it hasn't been announced yet. They always announce it by now. If it was such an open and shut case of Collingwood will host on the Friday you'd think we'd know by now.
Maybe they're examining the possibility of a Saturday double header?

3:20pm start for Pies / 7:25pm start for Brisbane.

Pies still get the advantage as they're already home and don't need to travel compared to the other prelim winner.

Collingwood will win their prelim.

Nothing unexpected. They have been slow with everything this year. Announced the Week 1 finals times the next day when they usually do the same day of the final game of the round.

Plus they won’t announce anything until they know who their opponents are. 🤣

Last edited:
I'm starting to think the times and dates for the Prelims might actually be determined by this weekend's results. This is the only rational reason why it's taking so long to announce... in previous years we (the public) have always known by now.

For example, maybe if Port wins, given they are already at home on Saturday night, the league might feel that it is okay to give them the Friday night Prelim against Collingwood. It's still not, but that might be their thought process.

On the other hand if the Giants win, maybe they will push Collingwood's prelim back to the Saturday, given they won't get home from Adelaide till Sunday arvo.

All this consternation could have been avoided simply by scheduling the Port v GWS semi as a twilight game.

Meanwhile, maybe the league has asked Melbourne and Carlton whether they would like to play Brisbane at night or twilight or day. For example, Melbourne may be happy to play at day time in the Queensland heat, and with their last quarter record back themselves to run over the top of the Lions. Then they get to fly home that night.

Carlton on the other hand may be willing to fly back on the Sunday but get to play in the cooler evening conditions. Of course, you could argue neither team has the right to even be asked that question in the first place, and that the Lions should get more input into what time they play.

My gut feel on this is that they are still trying to figure out when to schedule Brisbane's Saturday prelim. The Broncos have already got Sat night 7:50pm locked in, so its down to whether they want to go head-to-head with that or play it earlier and allow dual-code fans to do both and avoid total transport mayhem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My gut feel on this is that they are still trying to figure out when to schedule Brisbane's Saturday prelim. The Broncos have already got Sat night 7:50pm locked in, so its down to whether they want to go head-to-head with that or play it earlier and allow dual-code fans to do both and avoid total transport mayhem.

A Saturday prelim in Brisbane will be messy. For starters, 7 will want to host a post game show and then they will want their news to screen before the NRL starts. This basically leaves only the 3:20 time slot available, and even then they won't want the game to go to extra time. That exposes teams to Brisbane's September heat (current forecast next Saturday is 26, and honestly that's generous to the Vic club; Thursday is currently expected to reach 33), which traditionally the AFL has been reluctant to do.

I'll put my hand up here and acknowledge my own vested interest: I'm a dual code nuffy and would like to go and watch both the Broncos and the Lions, as I was fortunate enough to do last weekend. In principle I'm not too bothered by a 7 day turnaround into a Grand Final, however I question whether playing in relatively oppressive heat is fair preparation for a Grand Final, particularly for the Victorian club should they prevail. Maybe it's fairer for the game to be at night, clash fully with the NRL and the Victorian club can cop flying home on the Sunday.

Ultimately the simplest and fairest solution is to schedule Brisbane's prelim on the Friday, as it avoids 100% of the above issues. Collingwood already have the significant advantage of being the only team to not have to leave home once this September. An advantage which is not afforded to many minor premiers. 7 days is sufficient and fair preparation for a Grand Final which they will essentially host. It is also fair on Port and GWS, whereas scheduling their Prelim on the Friday is not.

The argument that Collingwood should get a longer break before GF is assuming Collingwood win. You could very easily have GWS, 7th ranked team, having a shorter break than Brisbane, Melbourne or Carlton, teams which all finished higher than them.

I don’t think the difference of an 18 hours break over a week makes even the slightest difference come game day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back