Fixture Afl stuff up 2023 finals fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

growly

Senior List
Oct 4, 2014
adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Afl if they haven't realised yet have stuffed up the finals fixture.
With Bris/Port playing sat night the loser will have to host the semi next sat. night to allow for the 7 day break between games. Which is ok
But the winner of that semi will play Collingwood in the prelim. That means Collingwood can't host it on the Friday night like they would expect because that will give the semi winner only a 6 day break, meaning the magpies prelim will have to be Sat twighlight. So the winner of Bris/ Port will have to host the fri prelim. They will play the winner of the melb/ carl or syd semi which will be next Friday night.The bris/ Port game should have been played fri night and carl/ syd on sat night and just have the st kilda/ gws game sat arvo at marvel.
Hope this all makes sense

With Bris/Port playing sat night the loser will have to host the semi next sat. night to allow for the 7 day break between games. Which is ok
But the winner of that semi will play Collingwood in the prelim. That means Collingwood can't host it on the Friday night like they would expect because that will give the semi winner only a 6 day break, meaning the magpies prelim will have to be Sat twighlight. So the winner of Bris/ Port will have to host the fri prelim. They will play the winner of the melb/ carl or syd semi which will be next Friday night.The bris/ Port game should have been played fri night and carl/ syd on sat night and just have the st kilda/ gws game sat arvo at marvel.

I think they will advantage the Qualifying 1 winner with a Friday night final either way. Likely a 6 day break for the winner of next Saturdays game leading to the PF on a Friday night.

This article kind of thinks it is likely

I think they will advantage the Qualifying 1 winner with a Friday night final either way. Likely a 6 day break for the winner of next Saturdays game leading to the PF on a Friday night.

Will be interesting I know the afl believe strongly in the integrity of finals and giving all teams a full weeks break. I know the magpies have earned it but the afl may have no choice.

Will be interesting I know the afl believe strongly in the integrity of finals and giving all teams a full weeks break. I know the magpies have earned it but the afl may have no choice.

True. Nothing to say they won’t do another Thursday and Friday schedule next week either. Still too early to tell how they handle it but I think in terms of ratings, Friday night should be the MCG match for PF.

They did a 6 day break in 2020 finals.

Last edited:

It’s because they wanted to play 3 games at the G and no games on Sunday. Lions therefore couldn’t play on Friday.

The semi winner should just get a 6 day break or else Collingwood will be disadvantaged by having a bit less than 7 day break for GF. It needs to be on a Friday.

Why does every team need a full weeks break ? The fixture should advantage the higher finishing team , if you want a longer rest going into the prelim then perhaps you should have played better during the season so you could win a qualifying final. Bad enough all teams get a pre finals week off.

What's the big deal? There's nothing to say every team needs a minumum 7 day break in finals. Same thing happened in 2012, 2016, 2018 and I'm sure plenty of times in earlier years.

The st kilda / gws game has sold about 65k tickets. Game is way too big to be at Marvel.

This exact scenario happened in 2018. Eagles/Pies QF (2v3) was Sat night, we lost and had to travel back—then after beating GWS we had 6 days to Richmond on the Friday.

It’s amazing the AFL still hasn’t learnt that 2v3 needs to be played early if they want to play PF1 first. But then again who’s really surprised.

The AFL have stuffed up but can kind of iron it out as long as the Winner of Brisbane/Port host the Friday prelim.

Lets just say Carlton, GWS and Brisbane win we’d look at

Friday SF – Melbourne v Carlton – Both teams get a 7 day break

Saturday night SF – Port v GWS- Both teams get a 7 day break

Melbourne & Port win

Friday PF – Brisbane v Melbourne – Melbourne get the 7 day break into an away PF. If Melbourne win they get back home with a 7 day break before the GF.

Saturday twilight PF – Collingwood v Port – 7 day break for both teams if they win. If Port win they are able to get back to Adelaide on the Saturday night.

This is the ideal scenario. If the Prelims are the other way around then one of Port or Brisbane cop it in the neck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still angry from. 2012 when they did this to the hawks. Meant the hawks went up against a team on an 8 day break, whilst the swans got a team on 6 days.
Also gifted them an extra day to prepare

I'm still angry from. 2012 when they did this to the hawks. Meant the hawks went up against a team on an 8 day break, whilst the swans got a team on 6 days.
Also gifted them an extra day to prepare
Seems like that was because NRL had first dibs at finals at ANZ, and they had a final scheduled for the Saturday.

2v3
6v7
1v4
5v8

Should be the order every year.
Unfortunately due to TV ratings it doesn't always happen. Could you ever imagine the AFL starting with Brisbane v Port on Thursday and St Kilda GWS on Friday

Brisbane vs Port would have been an absolute ratings winner.

Noone in their main market attending, limited people from SA attending.

Friday night - probably not a ratings winner I agree

2 v 3 always used to be played first. But that would mean either a Marvel final or a Sunday day final meaning a six day rest for someone anyway. Or they could have started with a Wednesday final of Bris v Port, Pies v Dees Thurs, Saints v GWS Fri then Blues v Swans Sat.

if they do flip it, they need to do it for the semi, it the preLim. So next week is (assuming favourite win):
Semis:
Fri Port v Saints
Sat Dees v Blues

Prelims
Fri Pies v Port
Sat Lions v Dees

It is possible that the AFL will want to see when the Broncos are playing before sheduling the Lions.

OR

Pies suck it up like the Hawks have had to and host the Saturday prelim.

2 v 3 always used to be played first. But that would mean either a Marvel final or a Sunday day final meaning a six day rest for someone anyway. Or they could have started with a Wednesday final of Bris v Port, Pies v Dees Thurs, Saints v GWS Fri then Blues v Swans Sat.
Don't give the AFL or the AFL journos that read BF that idea

Highest ranked QF winner gets the Friday night. That gives the highest ranked team the GF advantage which is the main consideratio.

Only time this hasn’t occurred recently is 2012 when Stadium Australia was booked for NRL. Ironically it gave the lower ranked Sydney Swans and Melbourne Storm the advantage of extra rest, who duly saluted the next week.

Thought they might have flipped the finals this week rather than next, so now Port or GWS will only get six days rest if Pies host the Friday prelim. If so, Lions PF will be late Sat arvo so as not to clash with the Broncos that night.

Thought they might have flipped the finals this week rather than next, so now Port or GWS will only get six days rest if Pies host the Friday prelim. If so, Lions PF will be late Sat arvo so as not to clash with the Broncos that night.

I imagine Brisbane's prelim would be early enough so that the visiting team (if they were to win) can return to Melbourne that night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back