Discussion AFL today if….

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
Always wondered how the AFL would have developed if Australian Football was the dominate code of football in all states right from the beginning to the present.

So my timeline goes like this:

In time VFL goes into Tasmania while NSW takes the top QLD teams.
Then VFL and SANFL merge to compete with the powerful NSW/QLD League
Eventually in 2000 AFL is formed:

6 from VIC

6 from NSW

4 from SANFL

4 from WAFL

3 from QLD

1 from ACT

1 from TAS

Clubs that don’t make it to the new League remain in their competition which some teams may need to be added.

It also to be noted that there are no mergers or relocations in the time frame before 2000. So Sydney Swans, Brisbane Bears/Lions, Gold Coast, Adelaide, West Coast Fremantle etc don’t exist.
AFL teams

Adelaide Panthers

Carlton Blues

Brisbane Maroons

Canberra Rams

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Collingwood Magpies

East Perth Royals

Essendon Bombers

Fremantle Pirates

Geelong Cats

Hawthorn Hawks

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

Melbourne Tigers

North-Hobart Kangaroos

Nothern Territory-Queensland Crocodiles

Norwood Red Legs

Parramatta Eels

Port Adelaide Crows

South Sydney Rabbitohs

Southport Sharks

Subiaco Lions

Sturt Double Blues

St.George Dragons

Sydney Roosters

West Perth Falcons

Note all original teams wear their jumpers of today. Except for the new jumpers for:

Adelaide Panthers - merged teams of North Adelaide, South Adelaide and West Adelaide (jumper is black with thin red, navy blue and white stripes at right side of the jumper).
Brisbane Maroons - newly formed to represents the capital. (Jumper is maroon and white).

Canberra Rams - newly formed to represent ACT. (Jumper is orange with blue yolk).

Fremantle Pirates - merger between East Fremantle and South Fremantle. Jumper is white and Purple - blending the blue of East and red of South)

North-Hobart Kangaroos - North Melbourne who fought so hard to join the VFL were not going to go out from the top tier without a hell of a fight.
While the Tasmanians were bickering about which team should join the AFL or a it be a state side. The Kangaroos would relocate there and even add green to their blue and white stripes. The name North would represent both the old club and Launceston while Hobart name as the capital and where major of the home games played. The Shinboner spirit lives on in the AFL.

Northern Territory-Queensland Crocodiles - newly formed team to represent the north of Australia. (colors black, ochre, yellow and beige)

Port Adelaide Crows - same old PA with black and white Prison Bar jumper. (Agreed to change logo if they could chose Crows much to SANFL dismay)

Note: Melbourne Tigers is not a merger but still the old Richmond Tigers wearing the black and yellow. The AFL wanted a team with Melbourne in name and after much persuasion (and undisclosed money under the table)the Tigers finally agreed.

So that’s my idea… unfortunately I am not talented enough to do a portfolio of this.

But would be great if someone could do this idea in their own version :)

Last edited:
Manly President David Dosh is claiming that there be can be only one Maroon and White team in the league, whereas Brisbane Chairman Teddy Magwire asserts that his Brisbane team has history on their side on regards to the colours. How can we resolve this never ending debate?

Research Manly Warringah Wolves, same NRL colours but still a distinct State/local league

Last edited:

Interesting scenarios here, South Brisbane Magpies wouldn't be two clubs playing league and union, so they'd be pretty strong as one club. Valley Diehards would be strong in a similar way to the likes of East Fremantle. Cronulla-Sutherland would not have the Port Hacking union club and the St George area wouldn't have both a union and league club, so Southern Districts Union club wouldn't exist from merger of the Port Hacking and St George union sides. That could entail the possibility of a St George and Cronulla superteam. Both Toowoomba and Ipswich would be strong as representative teams, so they could be a superclub each. It's certainly interesting to look at what would have happened in NSW and QLD if there was only one major code and no rugby split historically, plenty of duplicate clubs would now have a combined pool of players to choose from.

Last edited:
The Bears weren't a relocation so just curious about the thought process there. Granted in this history they would probably be renamed the Cararra Cubs or something similar
Well Southport obviously got the license playing on the Gold Coast. Is there a dominant club in Brisbane that should have got the nod?

Manly President David Dosh is claiming that there be can be only one Maroon and White team in the league, whereas Brisbane Chairman Teddy Magwire asserts that his Brisbane team has history on their side on regards to the colours. How can we resolve this never ending debate?
Brisbane agree to have only a one coloured jumper.

Research Manly Warringah Wolves, same NRL colours but still a distinct State/local league
Actually visited the club.

In 2011 as manager of the IC team Sweden Elks, we had a training session and fund raiser dinner with the Wolves.

My speech opening line was that I hope we have a friendly relationship in the future just as real wolves and elks have in the wild…

Well Southport obviously got the license playing on the Gold Coast. Is there a dominant club in Brisbane that should have got the nod?
There are a bunch that are prominant clubs, teams that were in the NEAFL were Aspley (Brisbane - who briefly competed in the VFL), Broadbeach (Gold Coast), Labrador (Gold Coast), Mt Gravatt (Brisbane) and Morningside (Brisbane). Southport are massive though and are definitely my pick for playing at GC, and my favourite local team (due to playing there as a junior briefly) is Wilston Grange Gorillas.

There are a bunch that are prominant clubs, teams that were in the NEAFL were Aspley (Brisbane - who briefly competed in the VFL), Broadbeach (Gold Coast), Labrador (Gold Coast), Mt Gravatt (Brisbane) and Morningside (Brisbane). Southport are massive though and are definitely my pick for playing at GC, and my favourite local team (due to playing there as a junior briefly) is Wilston Grange Gorillas.
I forgot Aspely. They be my Brisbane team playing as Brisbane Hornets.
Hopefully Subiaco won’t be to upset with two teams in the Maroon and Gold as Manly was with Maroon and White ;)

aaaah my bad

Hawthorn might protest then…. or maybe pleased…
You As commissioner or CEO of your league all these little quirks like each teams colours and designs would be worked through before presentation. I do like the Brisbane Hornets moniker though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back