Roast AFLW Tiresome Debate Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not forgetting that men were paid about two burnt pies a year from those pie warmers for over 100 of those 150 years of course all while state league level players are still brickies labourers on the side to pay the rent.

You are right James. Women should have invented tv rights deals while raising the children of those men chasing around some pig skin for free.

You are right James. Women should have invented tv rights deals while raising the children of those men chasing around some pig skin for free.
It needs to earn it's stripes a bit is all I'm saying it's a league in it's infancy with part-time athletes (is it the shortest season in team sport?), has low revenue streams of it's own at this point & takes nothing at the gate.

The problem with the pay equality argument when it comes to professional sport is that 'equal pay for equal work' is not how professional sport works at all. It's a meritocracy. Dustin Martin gets paid more than Cam Sutcliffe, and rightly so. But Can Sutcliffe is a better footballer than anybody in the AFLW.

I get the growth argument as well, but the growth argument is how we ended up with the SUNS rather than a team from Tassie.

The problem with the pay equality argument when it comes to professional sport is that 'equal pay for equal work' is not how professional sport works at all. It's a meritocracy. Dustin Martin gets paid more than Cam Sutcliffe, and rightly so. But Can Sutcliffe is a better footballer than anybody in the AFLW.

I get the growth argument as well, but the growth argument is how we ended up with the SUNS rather than a team from Tassie.

Holy s**t I’m not talking about equal pay far from it but if the AFL wants these people to commit to the sport and make it professional 20k a season is a joke.

I don't watch AFLW for the same reasons I don't watch Angle Vale D Grade.

GremioPower was talking about economics before. He's actually got it arse about. The only reason AFLW is a thing is due to economics. The AFL are trying to increase their reach by getting more girls interested in the game. More interest equals more money. It's all about the money. It's always about the money. There is zero altruism involved. From a merit/ability perspective these AFLW players don't deserve s**t. They are terrible. Erin Phillips by far and away the best AFLW player would struggle to get a regular gig in SMOSH's B grade. But, I do get the economics of it. Increasing the reach of the game, growing the brand is what it's all about. More eyeballs, more sponsors, more marketing opportunities....more money.

Sponsored by your favourite breakfast cereal for 250k per year
How many brekkie cereals to Olympian athletes that would spend 40+ hours a week training are there?
And it's not as if these opportunities won't naturally develop as the sport grows for AFLW anyway

How many brekkie cereals to Olympian athletes that would spend 40+ hours a week training are there?
And it's not as if these opportunities won't naturally develop as the sport grows for AFLW anyway
That's the issue though, it hasn't been a 'natural' development, so it can't survive and thrive 'naturally', the grow at all costs nature of the business model means they need to become professionals and sharpish as it's the only realistic way that standards will increase to the levels required by the support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy s**t I’m not talking about equal pay far from it but if the AFL wants these people to commit to the sport and make it professional 20k a season is a joke.
20k from a part time sport that generates close to zero income is pretty good in my eyes.

Aflw is pretty much an Ammo competition at the moment in regards to income generated.

Pushing for larger incomes this early in the sports development is premature in my eyes. Yeah they deserve an income, but pushing for full professional wages with the current financials is silly.

20k from a part time sport that generates close to zero income is pretty good in my eyes.

Aflw is pretty much an Ammo competition at the moment in regards to income generated.

Pushing for larger incomes this early in the sports development is premature in my eyes. Yeah they deserve an income, but pushing for full professional wages with the current financials is silly.
Do you watch it? If not is it because of the skill level?

The only way the skill level will improve so you (or someone who doesn't watch it because of the skill level) will watch it will be via professionalism.

It's a cart before the horse scenario.

That's the issue though, it hasn't been a 'natural' development, so it can't survive and thrive 'naturally', the grow at all costs nature of the business model means they need to become professionals and sharpish as it's the only realistic way that standards will increase to the levels required by the support.
It will be natural from now.

A tree might not grow naturally. But if you throw money at water and fertiliser at it early and get it past it's infancy stage the tree will be fine.

Also carn the way to grow the standard isnt to pay them more. the standard has increased every year and will continue to do so on a natural arc for a few years still. Uou now have it with grass roots support, (that's where the money should be going, not to the athletes at the top currently)
the game will be 10x better when you have girls playing footy from 7 all the way through to 18 getting drafted, rather than naturally sporty women who were playing netball until 14 months ago until someone waved a sherrin in their face

Olympic athletes are way overpaid. Olympics are an irrelevant joke.

"Look at me I can run in a straight line faster than other people!!"
The fact that the 2016 Olympic 100m Sprint was watched by 2 billion people live kinda shows it's not irrelevant though doesn't it

Do you watch it? If not is it because of the skill level?

The only way the skill level will improve so you (or someone who doesn't watch it because of the skill level) will watch it will be via professionalism.

It's a cart before the horse scenario.
Nah it's a grass roots thing.

You can't just pluck the best female athletes in the country at 18, hand them a footy and a cheque of 100k a year and expect good skills. It comes from not taking their footy away when they turn 12/13 but developing them throughout

This will cause outrage among a few of you but...

I know of a highly respected ex AFL footballer who in the end didn't let his daughter play AFLW due to the high incidence of predatory Lesbians playing the game.
sounds like he shouldnt be highly respected

This will cause outrage among a few of you but...

I know of a highly respected ex AFL footballer who in the end didn't let his daughter play AFLW due to the high incidence of predatory Lesbians playing the game.

Why would that outrage anyone?

Predatory behaviour by anyone aimed at children is abhorrent.