Opinion Foodie Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I generally don't eat steak if out... But I don't go fancy places I'm a simple man.
..with simple pleasures (outside the bedroom) Beef snitz is what I order.... Don't even look at the menu

I generally don't eat steak if out... But I don't go fancy places I'm a simple man.
..with simple pleasures (outside the bedroom) Beef snitz is what I order.... Don't even look at the menu
Discovered a place in town that does amazing diane sauce a couple weeks ago. I order beef scnhitz now just to get a serve of that sauce.

Went to Fugazzi on the weekend. Food was really good and not ridiculously priced but the I'd say 80-90 % of the immense wine list was norh of $100 a bottle.

Still haven't been but keep hearing good things.
How far in advance did you have to book?

I didn't book. Was a lunch, Saturday. We sat down at 1pm and the table next to us got turned over and reset at 1:30pm. So I guess its pretty popular.

It takes me that long to decide what to order.

It takes me that long to decide what to order.

We did 4 x the single item starters to share and a pasta for main each plus 2 bottles of Adelaide Hills Gewurztraminer and the bill was around $425 for the 3 of us. I think the wine was $75 a bottle (which was definitely at the lower end) so whilst not cheap it wasn't out of control.

Thinking about getting a smoker for doing brisket and the like. Any advice from you know-alls for a total beginner? I'm aiming to buy something pretty cheap in case I decide it's too much of a pain in the arse with cleanup, etc after a couple of goes

Thinking about getting a smoker for doing brisket and the like. Any advice from you know-alls for a total beginner? I'm aiming to buy something pretty cheap in case I decide it's too much of a pain in the arse with cleanup, etc after a couple of goes

A couple of us bought a smoker for a mate for his 40th 8 or so years ago.

He worked as a business banker. 3 years ago he packed in his job and has and started a professional Fish Smoking business and that is what he does full time now. The smoker is a powerful tool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He worked as a business banker. 3 years ago he packed in his job and has and started a professional Fish Smoking business and that is what he does full time now. The smoker is a powerful tool.
Probably a few steps up from the starter type thing I'd be after

JMc?

Start with a Weber (or similar) Kettle. They're pretty versatile and there's methods you can use to get good results with smoking.
If you get into it and want to take the next step, then get a bullet style smoker. They're more compact and pretty fool proof to use.

The biggest decision you'll need to make is: are you going to be a charcoal smoker or a pellet smoker.

Start with a Weber (or similar) Kettle. They're pretty versatile and there's methods you can use to get good results with smoking.
If you get into it and want to take the next step, then get a bullet style smoker. They're more compact and pretty fool proof to use.

The biggest decision you'll need to make is: are you going to be a charcoal smoker or a pellet smoker.
Cheers. I'd probably find a weber second hand pretty easily. Good starting point.

What's your preference charcoal v pellet?

Cheers. I'd probably find a weber second hand pretty easily. Good starting point.

Even some of the other brands can get you a good kettle. Matador are reasonably good quality for not a lot of dosh.

What's your preference charcoal v pellet?

I use charcoal but I tend to only hot-smoke so that makes the decision easy for me. I have a mate who swears by pellets and another who gives him s**t for it. Both of them do some excellent smoking. (mainly charcuterie etc)

I concur with this. The Weber Kettle will make dipping into smoking easier due to its versatility with other ways of cooking. The next step (wood or pellet) comes down to your free time. I've got a Weber Smokefire Pellet smoker which is great. You can control it from your phone and it keeps temperature perfectly. Decent results so far and it also can go up to 315c so is perfect for reverse searing meats and as a pizza oven.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back