Alcoholism

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon it takes ages to get withdrawals.

Alcohol is one of those things where you want it more than dependency. The fact it's sold in a store makes it harder but the fact you wanna go in at 11am stops you.

I had a year or so where I drank nightly and ended up going overseas and doing worse, and I found it easy doing Monday to Thursday with nothing. Slept well, no shakes, no paranoia.

Would you ever spew up the day after, get awful hangovers La Dispute?

I remember when I was studying I'd drink down the uni pub a lot. Usually with a person from class or a mate from elsewhere. Had the occasional beer alone. One night I went with a relatively new uni friend, met a proper mate down there, and by that time it'd been from 3 to 7 and I'd had probably 8 pints minimum with no food then or before. Anyway after both mates had popped off I ended up walking up Lygon Street and getting a six pack of VB – first and last time I've ever actually bought it – and took it to the pub and poured them into a pint glass continually. I had my wifi to the uni and could sit on my laptop absolutely ****ed in a corner booth. As I left a uni girl was walking in the opposite direction and I took my headphones out and say hey, and she said 'are you going to the reading?' which I took as a 'come to the reading.' I went back to the pub as a 65 kilo runt with no food, 8 pints, 6 stubbies and bravado and proceeded to spend 10 pointless dollars to have a two second conversation with her before a guy came up to her and put her arms around her.

I spent the night and morning spewing my guts up. I didn't drink alone but I made a dick of myself and that felt so shameful.

A close time was when a mate of mine came to my first sharehouse and we had about five stubbies each, he went home to get the train, and I had about four more with a housemate while playing FIFA Street. He slept as he was Swedish and adjusting to our time and I had four more and woke up incredibly hungover, spewing up in the toilet all day and ashamed of them finding out I'd had more alone after.

That scared me off solo drinking. I can drink alone, but being hungover alone is ****ed.

But was it fun?

Did you enjoying parking your arse, did music sound better? Did shows make you laugh more? Did you get a kick out of old songs?

Alcoholism to me is music just having that extra boom, the minor elements shimmering and making you take it all in. It was like weed to most people but to me it was anxiety free, fun, just a good time.

I know what you mean.

That nice little hum when you've taken the edge off and you're no longer listening to music but feel it coursing throughout your body. For me, it's that drone of early Velvet Underground, or getting swept up in something like Authentic Celestial Music by the Dirty Three.

Which isn't to endorse it at all.

I know what you mean.

That nice little hum when you've taken the edge off and you're no longer listening to music but feel it coursing throughout your body. For me, it's that drone of early Velvet Underground, or getting swept up in something like Authentic Celestial Music by the Dirty Three.

Which isn't to endorse it at all.
Oh man. I've smoked The Weed, I've done The MDMA. But 10 beers hit me something else. It's not just the vibe and the feeling and pulse but the *in emotion... the melancholy, intensity.

I reckon it takes ages to get withdrawals.

Alcohol is one of those things where you want it more than dependency. The fact it's sold in a store makes it harder but the fact you wanna go in at 11am stops you.

I had a year or so where I drank nightly and ended up going overseas and doing worse, and I found it easy doing Monday to Thursday with nothing. Slept well, no shakes, no paranoia.
That's probably because you are pretty young still. I had a binge recently of only about 6 days, when I stopped for some reason it was the worst ones ever. Seriously scary. Mentally, think an E come down times 100, plus horrible physical symptoms. Went to see the doctor first thing when they opened. 10 years ago when I was probably near your age all I'd get is a bad hangover.

Christ I can only imagine how bad it is for alcoholics that drink for months and then try and stop.

That's probably because you are pretty young still. I had a binge recently of only about 6 days, when I stopped for some reason it was the worst ones ever. Seriously scary. Mentally, think an E come down times 100, plus horrible physical symptoms. Went to see the doctor first thing when they opened. 10 years ago when I was probably near your age all I'd get is a bad hangover.

Christ I can only imagine how bad it is for alcoholics that drink for months and then try and stop.
Jesus really? And what did you tell the doctor?

they can die if they don't get help, you can't just stop if you are a proper 7 day a week alcoholic

I reckon the hardest part of withdrawals would be having to continue on your day to day life. If you had the ability to just have a week off, go to the supermarket and get heaps of decent food, went to the Doctors and got some type of Benzo and some sleeping tablets I reckon you could punch through it. If you had to try and front up and continue on acting like a human being at work then I imagine it would be horrible.

I'm actually going to have a week or two off, not something I've actively though about and I'm not one to do a "dry July" so be interesting to see how that goes. If I genuinely feel like a beer on a Sunday I guess I'll have one.

Richard Wiseman did a ten-year scientific study into the nature of luck that has revealed that, to a large extent, people make their own good and bad fortune. His research revealed that "Lucky people generate their own good fortune via four basic principles. They are skilled at creating and noticing chance opportunities, making lucky decisions by listening to their intuition, creating self-fulfilling prophecies via positive expectations, and adopting a resilient attitude that transforms bad luck into good."

So, now I'm sober. Just over a year totally abstained. I am lucky. There's heaps of stats thrown around about success rates and the like. Success is too hard to define. If someone lapses but is still actively trying to stop drinking they have not failed. I am in a pretty rare category of someone who had a serious drinking problem that quit completely successfully on their first attempt. Is that luck?

Anyone going through this s**t, my heart goes out to you.
Excellent post.

Just wanted to post that I've managed to make 5 years sober. It was a huge struggle for the first year but nothing but improvement in my life since. I'm completely satisfied that I will never drink again.

When you're an alcoholic you cannot trust yourself. You're not in control. Living delusions. Being in control and able to trust myself is such a nice change.

If you're struggling, I really hope you're able to beat this affliction. It f'ckn sucks.

Wow, what an insight into a mind 5 years ago 😳

I gave up, end of March 2020. The date coincided with my birthday and the end of our cricket season. I knew giving up whilst in the social confines of a cricket club was beyond me, so I set that date knowing I’d have six months to adjust to the idea

Turns out a few things happened next. The pandemic was obviously in its infancy. I’m an optimist so I thought this would all blow over, wasn’t overly concerned…everyone will abide by the guidelines…then I found out my partner of 21 years was well on the way to engaging in extra-marital relations. We split, so I was down to 50% time with my daughter. We got back together for a month before she left again. It’s been all downhill from there. Anyway, on topic, I now easily empty 3 bottles of bourbon a week. So that’s not ideal
I don't know you but Im gonna put my own thoughts and experiences into my response. I don't know you age but guessing you're mid 40s - late 50s.

Seems you had the booze under control but you've lost that now, and you're probably gaining weight. An Aussie drinking bourbon is going to mix it with a high sugar mixer like coke, or dry. Personally my poison is vodka, straight... or if I have to mix it it's with a long black coffee... no sugar, no milk, no interference. In the past I've had dozens of empty vodka bottles Ive had to sneak out in bags so my wife woudnt see.

I\ve been drunk for the last 15 years really.. Hospitality worker over a very diverse range of jobs but alcohol was always available... for free. Noone will notice what Ive drunk. I've managed it ok. I don't drink before 17.00 but after that its game on. Hangovers aren\t a problem for me... i's my existence and I balance by copious amounts of water.

Things are changing for me though. My wife is 2 months pregnant after going through IVF. She's had many battles to get to this stage. She's French and loves a drink, but is much more considerate than me... the typical Ausiie bing drinker.

We made a deal where I can still drink on weekends but during the week Im completely sober. Ive tried stopping before and it means very poor sleep.... In fact I wouldnt even call it sleep. Its nights of burning up and freezing at the same time, no matter what the season is.

But I stopped, sunday to thursday and I love it. I sleep well, better than ever. And I remember things from the night before.

There is something that helped me transition over and it's the CBD weed here.. It's .2 percent THC, but smells right and helps me take the edge off. I really havent slept this well for years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know you but Im gonna put my own thoughts and experiences into my response. I don't know you age but guessing you're mid 40s - late 50s.

Seems you had the booze under control but you've lost that now, and you're probably gaining weight. An Aussie drinking bourbon is going to mix it with a high sugar mixer like coke, or dry. Personally my poison is vodka, straight... or if I have to mix it it's with a long black coffee... no sugar, no milk, no interference. In the past I've had dozens of empty vodka bottles Ive had to sneak out in bags so my wife woudnt see.

I\ve been drunk for the last 15 years really.. Hospitality worker over a very diverse range of jobs but alcohol was always available... for free. Noone will notice what Ive drunk. I've managed it ok. I don't drink before 17.00 but after that its game on. Hangovers aren\t a problem for me... i's my existence and I balance by copious amounts of water.

Things are changing for me though. My wife is 2 months pregnant after going through IVF. She's had many battles to get to this stage. She's French and loves a drink, but is much more considerate than me... the typical Ausiie bing drinker.

We made a deal where I can still drink on weekends but during the week Im completely sober. Ive tried stopping before and it means very poor sleep.... In fact I wouldnt even call it sleep. Its nights of burning up and freezing at the same time, no matter what the season is.

But I stopped, sunday to thursday and I love it. I sleep well, better than ever. And I remember things from the night before.

There is something that helped me transition over and it's the CBD weed here.. It's .2 percent THC, but smells right and helps me take the edge off. I really havent slept this well for years
Mid 30s, losing weight at a rapid rate. Not mixing with sugar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back