Alcoholism

Remove this Banner Ad

Drink every night, Monday Tuesday by myself then Wednesday-Sunday i go out, usually drink about half a litre of vodka or 1-2 bottles of wine before I go out, sometimes more if I feel like it. Haven't had a booze free day in months but only had 1 pint today because of an awful hangover. Doesnt really affect the rest of my life or anyone around me, never called in sick to work, though i know i need to cut a back because I'm not particularly keen on liver disease

I'm not an alcoholic, but sitting in an airport bar at 10:45am with a beer in hand has me reconsidering...

Being in an airport gets you off the hook Abba. It's almost encouraged. As does certain other circumstances you might find yourself tipping them in at ordinarily unsocial times of the day, such as:

- Any boys trip
- Your bucks/wedding day
- Derby Day / Grand Final Day brekky
- When you've won Tattslotto
- When you retire
- The birth of your kids
- Any holiday in Asia
- Any holiday in Europe
- Any holiday
- Anytime there are leftovers from last nights shindig
- Anytime you find yourself near a pub in a shift-worker area (wharves, hospitals, freight)
- When you walk out of court after the judge has just cancelled your drivers license

.....so many things to look forward to.

Being in an airport gets you off the hook Abba. It's almost encouraged. As does certain other circumstances you might find yourself tipping them in at ordinarily unsocial times of the day, such as:

- Any boys trip
- Your bucks/wedding day
- Derby Day / Grand Final Day brekky
- When you've won Tattslotto
- When you retire
- The birth of your kids
- Any holiday in Asia
- Any holiday in Europe
- Any holiday
- Anytime there are leftovers from last nights shindig
- Anytime you find yourself near a pub in a shift-worker area (wharves, hospitals, freight)
- When you walk out of court after the judge has just cancelled your drivers license

.....so many things to look forward to.
So basically daily then.

What do we think about G&T's?

I find them really refreshing, endorsed by Oasis and got that nice bittersweet aftertaste.
My go to drink once I become sick of beer.

I always spend the first day of the WACA test match each year in the members beer tent. I get on the beers in the first two sessions but come the last session of the day I switch to the G & T's.

Yeah this is interesting reading.
Since having a kid I drink far more although I'm hoping (my plan is) to reduce this when he understands the implications. I'm definitely alcoholic to some degree although it is quite controlled and I maintain a job, play competition sport, ride to work and live up to all the family requirements that are needed......but I do plan my days on weekends around the drink and get car driving activities, etc. out of the way so I can start.
It seems to have no physical pull with me (I've had mates who get the shakes, etc) and I've gone on holidays where alcohol is quite limited and there is no issue but I definitely have a mental addiction when back in the work/home routine.
Mid 30's friend stuffed his pancreas up but this unfortunately hasn't changed my routine but it scares me quite a lot.

Richard Wiseman did a ten-year scientific study into the nature of luck that has revealed that, to a large extent, people make their own good and bad fortune. His research revealed that "Lucky people generate their own good fortune via four basic principles. They are skilled at creating and noticing chance opportunities, making lucky decisions by listening to their intuition, creating self-fulfilling prophecies via positive expectations, and adopting a resilient attitude that transforms bad luck into good."

When an achievement is based on good fortune is the accolade deserved?

I am lucky. I am blessed to have been born in Australia. You can't choose your family, I couldn't choose a better one. You can choose your friends and I'm lucky they chose me. The people close to me are fun, loyal, supportive, diverse people who I can be myself around. I am gifted with a good education and lust for knowledge. I am *n lucky.

Alcohol is normal. As a pup, drugs were some elusive, cool, scary, dangerous thing. Alcohol was normal. When I became an adult drinking was normal. Whether it be a party, a birthday dinner, the footy, Friday night, a weekend away, camping, someone died, normal. Drinking 3 beers a night is normal. Drinking 12 beers in a night is normal.

When my drinking was no longer "normal" was I'm guessing about mid 2011.

Have you ever had a hair of the dog? After waking up with a splitting headache from partying for days taking a wide selection of "drugs", Alcohol fixed me up. Just to bring me back to normality. That hair of the dog lasted until June 14 2016.

Nothing terrible had happened to me, I wasn't drinking to escape the yawning blackness of reality. Booze just got me.

Alcohol began as something that was part of my identity, I'm normal, I drink just like everyone else. Then it became my whole identity, it just takes from your life until it owns your entire identity. A bit like Google. I embraced it to some extent. Ewan McGregor was an alcoholic, Samuel L., Richard Burton, they're cool. Lou Reed sings on Blue Mask

"It's the same old story, of a man and his search for glory
And he found it, underneath the bottle".

The truth is the hardest to hear when it's from yourself. I was drinking minimum 4L of 13.5% wine per day, all day, everyday. This is equivalent to over 1L of spirits a day. If I'd go out to the pub and drink beer I'd be sobering up. Depths of drunkenness are pretty horrible places. Anger, grief, hopelessness, confusion are the results. Unless you are honest with yourself no-one will be able to help you.

Again Lady Luck smiles on yours truly, I was never forced by anyone to not drink. Whether it be family, friends, police or doctors I was allowed to continue to make the choice to drink. I was 26 when I had my last drink. I decided alcohol was ruining my life and I am going to stop. I made this decision about 6 months before going to detox. My biggest fears were doing the hard part then fuking it up immediately and the hard part, detox. Alcohol withdrawals are having all your hangovers at once.

So, now I'm sober. Just over a year totally abstained. I am lucky. There's heaps of stats thrown around about success rates and the like. Success is too hard to define. If someone lapses but is still actively trying to stop drinking they have not failed. I am in a pretty rare category of someone who had a serious drinking problem that quit completely successfully on their first attempt. Is that luck?

Anyone going through this s**t, my heart goes out to you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just an update for anyone interested.

Made it 2 years sober. Quitting drinking was the best decision I've ever made.

Life is never all roses, everyone has ups and downs but when a drug like alcohol is controlling your life the downs look insurmountable. Sobriety gives one the wherewithal to deal with life's challenges and thrive.

Be honest with yourself and don't be afraid.

Woof Woof

I'm longing for the days of youth and getting blotto. At the pub the other night for dinner with two mates. Got disappointed when the Des called it a night after two hours. We went home and kept drinking while playing video games, but we're too nerdy and forget to regularly consume, end up sobering up.

I've got cravings. I dunno if that's good or not. Maybe it's part of a bigger picture of a longing for carefree youth? It's said everybody has to grow up, but so many actually don't. They get their good jobs and a family and kids but still carry on like 19 year olds. Am I jealous? Is it cold feet coming in to impending parenthood?

No, I don't think it's the latter. I know it isn't. Maybe I just need a little more balance.

Sent from mTalk

Just an update for anyone interested.

Made it 2 years sober. Quitting drinking was the best decision I've ever made.

Life is never all roses, everyone has ups and downs but when a drug like alcohol is controlling your life the downs look insurmountable. Sobriety gives one the wherewithal to deal with life's challenges and thrive.

Be honest with yourself and don't be afraid.

Woof Woof
What did you replace the void that alcohol use to fill with? Did you get fit? Reading? Or how did you take your mind off it?

What did you replace the void that alcohol use to fill with? Did you get fit? Reading? Or how did you take your mind off it?

It's difficult. The recovery process is long. It took me at least 18 months to feel "normal" again.

Initially it was Chess, I played hours a day, started building my own sets, it's a great game.

Im the type who doesnt often drink, and never drinks alone, but once I start I dont stop until the booze runs out.

Last night went out and had a couple of beers then switched to water for an hour then finished with a couple of vodkas - while everyone else was hammering drinks all night.

Good yo know I can behave if I want to behave.

Im the type who doesnt often drink, and never drinks alone, but once I start I dont stop until the booze runs out.

Last night went out and had a couple of beers then switched to water for an hour then finished with a couple of vodkas - while everyone else was hammering drinks all night.

Good yo know I can behave if I want to behave.

I went out again on Saturday night and once again had a few drinks and then switched to water for a few hours. This growing up thing appears to have finally kicked in.

I got hammered last night whilst watching the World Cup, something quite rewarding about going hard on a Sunday night. Not rewarding enough to make battling through a Monday hungover a regular occurrence though.

I heard somewhere that it takes a month to fully cleanse your liver of alcohol, wonder if that's true?

I got hammered last night whilst watching the World Cup, something quite rewarding about going hard on a Sunday night. Not rewarding enough to make battling through a Monday hungover a regular occurrence though.

I heard somewhere that it takes a month to fully cleanse your liver of alcohol, wonder if that's true?
If you can afford to go hard on a Sunday night then your life is probably in a good spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back