Alex Rance

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
This bloke has certainly come a long way. I know it is quite early but I honestly believe that he is among the top liner KPDs now.

He's extremely athletic and he knows how to find the ball too. There have been queries on his kicking and decision making but if these two games are anything to go by, he has certainly eradicated those faults.

He had a great game against Carlton where he kept Waite to only 1 goal and picked up 21 possessions himself and he also just had a blinder against Collingwood. He picked up 35 possessions, took 17 grabs and stood at 85% efficiency. Not only that, he really did manage to quell Cloke's influence on the game.

He also proved last year that he can match it with big name forwards, such as when he beat both Goodes and Brown.

This kid is a ripper and I can really see him succeeding this year.

I'm very curious to know the BF opinion on Alex.

Didn't you see what Luke Farcy and Brian Failure said tonight?

He can't kick, he can't make decisions, he's hopeless.

Of course they we're picking at straws because I counted 5 ****ed up Dane Swan possessions that weren't even mentioned because he's Dane Swan.

Rance had a few hiccups, but was generally fantastic.

Went to the game as a neutral with a Collingwood mate - he was fantastic, really improved his decision making which I thought was holding him back from becoming a very good defender.

Didn't realise he had that much of the ball. That's a huge game - well done! :thumbsu:

Cloke is a strange cat. I remember he could never get a kick against Shannon Watt and he was a mediocre footballer, even when Collingwood thrashed us, for some reason he always played really well on Cloke.

Rance has improved a lot, the generalisations about Rance were mostly about the 2010 version, he picked up a fair bit last year which is good.

I think Petrie kicked 6.0 and 4.2 against Richmond last year but not sure if they were all on Rance or not. I guess that is the go with being a defender, when you get good support from the midfield your job is a lot easier.

Lets see if he gets a good run like that from the men in green against some of the more fancied sides, would have given away 7-8 free kicks tonight if he was playing on Buddy
Ridiculous statement :eek:

I saw some very positive signs from Rance late last year and he has really stepped up his game and looks to be a very solid defensive player. Not only that, he provides the Tiges with some run off Half back which is great. His decision making is sometimes poor but so far he has used the ball pretty well. Hopefully Schoenmakers can have the same kind of development for us. Luke Darcy's comments were ridiculous really, he at one stage called a Rance kick to a 2 v 2 pack a 'poor decision' when nothing else was up the ground from memory.

Rance played an exciting,counter-attacking game against Cloke but, again D/E doesn't reflect his disposal or decision-making.

85% D/E should indicate an elite performance but it wasn't the case.

Best part of his game was his repeat efforts which were elite for a Key back.

One of the few times that Cloke hasn't been unable to outrun an opponent.

Flying under the radar, much like S.Thompson is at North.

Love watching Scotty Thompson go at it, would be perfect for us at Full Back!

Mark Stevens had Pendlebury as best on ground with 5 votes. He finished with 29 disposals, 72% efficiency, 127 supercoach points and 4 clangers.

Rance had 0 votes, 35 disposals at 82% efficiency and 127 supercoach points and 4 clangers as well.

Not nearly as bad as BT and Duke thought he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh i totally agree. didn't quiet understand what all the negativity was about from the commentators. The guy is really come a long way. sign him up tiges !

His kicking has never been a problem. Like every afl player he'll kick a bad one once every 15 kicks. What's wrong with these commentators? Jayden Post needs to have a real good look at Rance and start playing with that same hunger.

The comments weren't just from Darcy, BT was lining them up as well with his bs calls about "knowing ones limitations". I actually thought he went okay and had continued his form from the last of season 11 and no doubt will continue to improve. He may need to improve his "thinking" but that applies to dozens of players and to continually single him out last night was uncalled for and tbh unwarranted.

Rance is a real find this season. He held his own against the All Australian CHF.

Great result.

The commentators got a bee in their bonnet about his disposal, to the point where it dominated their thinking and expectations.

Amidst all the clangers, and there were plenty, his were the only ones identified as a problem.

Exceptionally poor commentary.

I may be wrong, but the most important stat for me was the fact Cloke only out marked him in one contested situation. His other goals were form getting out the back during a turn over.

Rance was terrific. The guy who doesn't deserve a game in a Richmond jumper is Daniel Jackson. Terrible footballer. Can't mark. Can't handpass. Can't kick. WORST footballer on an AFL list and brings his team down through his inate ability to stuff it up when momentum is with the Tigers.

Cost the Tigers at least 4 goals last night either through his disposal into the forward line or his handing the ball directly to a Collingwood opponent.

I couldn't understand what the commentators were on about last night. I thought Rance was excellent.

Great prospect for the Tiges. An attacking KPD is very hard to come by.

More generally, I hope the Tigers faithful stick with the team this year. It won't be a fairytale but I see good signs with this group. They are bedding down the right style of game. Just need to get enough experience into a core group of 30 or so players now.

Improvement since 2010 has been outstanding, has all the dash you could want from a full back. His weakness is overhead, still looks shaky against the big forwards in body-on-body contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back