All-Australian 2021 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve always been a proud Salem backer, even when some said he was just a useless fat guy wobbling around. Always one of our best users by foot, but probably not flashy enough for the commentators to get too excited about.
I always thought he was unfair maligned too

But I didn't expect him to have such an improvement this year either

No one has ever really slagged off Salem, just the role he plays. The difference now isn’t necessarily anything he’s doing but the way the team is playing. The defence pushes higher up and spreads further so he becomes a lot more damaging as a rebounder.

No one has ever really slagged off Salem, just the role he plays. The difference now isn’t necessarily anything he’s doing but the way the team is playing. The defence pushes higher up and spreads further so he becomes a lot more damaging as a rebounder.
I have said he's not a good defender but he's been better this year for sure.

Gawn was AA in 2016, Green 2010.

At this stage I'd say Gawn, Salem, Lever and Petracca would be in the side. Still 16 games to go though FFS
Yeah reckon your pretty close with Oliver not to far off, I know he won’t get in but I think Langdon has been outstanding this year and is the best wing in the league right now just as much for what he is doing without the ball as with it

I have said he's not a good defender but he's been better this year for sure.
Even that comes down to the team a lot I reckon. The way our KPDs structure up means he doesn’t get caught flat footed goal side of his opponent so often and he has more space to attack the footy coming in.

I also find his kicking style to be ridiculously unsatisfying to the eye. Which I know is dumb because it’s gloriously uncomplicated but it’s so much more enjoyable to watch someone like Lever kick the ball with every body part moving for some reason like a trigger-activated spring mechanism.

I also find his kicking style to be ridiculously unsatisfying to the eye. Which I know is dumb because it’s gloriously uncomplicated but it’s so much more enjoyable to watch someone like Lever kick the ball with every body part moving for some reason like a trigger-activated spring mechanism.

It does feel... dainty?

Even that comes down to the team a lot I reckon. The way our KPDs structure up means he doesn’t get caught flat footed goal side of his opponent so often and he has more space to attack the footy coming in.
Not even that for me, more so that he can't take big intercept marks and wasnt a brilliant 1-1 on player compared to someone like Hibberd.

Part of me still thinks if he's this good as a HBF imagine as a full time mid?

Not even that for me, more so that he can't take big intercept marks and wasnt a brilliant 1-1 on player compared to someone like Hibberd.

Part of me still thinks if he's this good as a HBF imagine as a full time mid?
I think he’d get found out in transition unless it was just cameos. I think from here it’s just about getting him up near high half forward more often for 5-10 touches per game to do some real damage, but otherwise just let him do his thing.

I think he’d get found out in transition unless it was just cameos. I think from here it’s just about getting him up near high half forward more often for 5-10 touches per game to do some real damage, but otherwise just let him do his thing.
I mean I can't argue, what he's doing now seems to be working.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back