Running/Fitness All things cardio

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of HIIT?
Spin and TRX and a lesser extent rowing machine.(Im on the tail end of opps on both knees)

This was interesting from USA Today last week.

The American College of Sports Medicine surveyed more than 3,800 fitness professionals who work in commercial, clinical, community and corporate gyms and health clubs to identify the top 20 fitness trends worldwide for next year. They selected those trends from 38 potential choices. This is the eighth year of the survey.

The top trends don't take into account fitness activities people are doing on their own, and walking is the most popular physical activity in the USA.

High-intensity interval training involves working out as hard as you can for a short period of time followed by a short, less-intense period, says Walt Thompson, lead researcher on the trends report and a regents' professor of kinesiology and health at Georgia State University in Atlanta. "These are really high-intensity, almost maximum intensity, workouts, such as P90X and CrossFit."

These workouts use a combination of exercises such as plyometrics (jumping), strength training, yoga, cardiovascular exercise and stretching and are aimed at people who are already accustomed to exercise and are looking for something different and challenging, he says.
Some like this kind of exercise because they can get fit in a short amount of time, but they are also at increased risk of injury, he says. "It could result in orthopedic injuries or cardiovascular complications for people who aren't accustomed to this kind of exercise. That's the danger of them which is why I was surprised this came in as No. 1."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...uffer&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Buffer

Isn't it heated though? The outdoor pools in Melbourne are heated to 27 - 29 degrees. Outdoor pools are much better than indoor pools - less chlorine as well.
Not out here in the country at least they aren't, this one is about 70 years old although it's nicely maintained and 50M, opens for summer in a week or 2 anyway.

At boarding school I used to have to do early morning training in an unheated pool in the middle of winter.

We had guys hiding in the lockers under their beds to avoid the wake up call.

**** that, hell I don't even really enjoy getting into an outdoor pool unless it's 35+ outside.

Yeah that sort of mental scarring is why it's taken me so long to get back into swimming.

Swimming is about the only decent form of exercise I can get without the risk of some part the body pulling up sore, frustrating when there is only an outdoor summer pool here.

Pulling up sore, or pulling up injured? There's a big difference.

I just did the hardest session I've done in years and I already know parts of me will be screaming tomorrow, and if I don't have a good stretch tomorrow the next day will be even worse. But that type of pain is progress.

Pulling up sore, or pulling up injured? There's a big difference.
Nah pretty much never been injured ever, about the only thing playing sport was a dislocated finger in footy. Just really prone to muscles getting sore after exercise and have to be very careful. For example once got roped into filling in for a game of indoor cricket at the last minute once and only had skate shoes with us instead of runners, was stiff as a board all over for about a week..

Nah pretty much never been injured ever, about the only thing playing sport was a dislocated finger in footy. Just really prone to muscles getting sore after exercise and have to be very careful. For example once got roped into filling in for a game of indoor cricket at the last minute once and only had skate shoes with us instead of runners, was stiff as a board all over for about a week..

If you haven't exercised certain muscles in a while then those muscles will be sore in the following days; it's called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). There is nothing bad about it, and if you do those exercises regularly then you will not be sore in that way.

Just started incorporating cardio into my workouts. Going to get a membership at the pools so i can do laps, buy a footy, a basketball and nightly walks should do it.

Usually start running about a month after footy season. Usually involves 2-3 runs a week anywhere from 5-12kms. This normally lasts from Oct-Feb and then return to pre-season training in February.

Its funny though, some years i find running really easy and other years struggle. Last off-season i really enjoyed it and was running well. This year have found it harder to get motivated and runs have suffered. Partly due to the crappy weather but it has frustrated me a touch. Think i might throw in some sprints/run throughs for a couple of weeks to break it up a bit and some hill climbs.

One good thing is any sore spots have definitely gone. Achilles is feeling the best it has in years.

Had previously also done some swimming when i had a bad Achilles to replace the running. Again i found it very hit and miss with motivation. Some days could swim 1500-2000m easily then other days be bored shirtless after 4 laps (definetly miss no head phones in the pool compared to running)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usually start running about a month after footy season. Usually involves 2-3 runs a week anywhere from 5-12kms. This normally lasts from Oct-Feb and then return to pre-season training in February.

Its funny though, some years i find running really easy and other years struggle. Last off-season i really enjoyed it and was running well. This year have found it harder to get motivated and runs have suffered. Partly due to the crappy weather but it has frustrated me a touch. Think i might throw in some sprints/run throughs for a couple of weeks to break it up a bit and some hill climbs.

One good thing is any sore spots have definitely gone. Achilles is feeling the best it has in years.

Had previously also done some swimming when i had a bad Achilles to replace the running. Again i found it very hit and miss with motivation. Some days could swim 1500-2000m easily then other days be bored shirtless after 4 laps (definetly miss no head phones in the pool compared to running)

I use to train like that for pre season, 4-5 runs each week varying from 3km to 10km and i was getting over running by the start of Feb. My plan this pre season the biggest consecutive "non stop" will be a 3km run. All the rest will be interval running, HIIT etc. Which i have been doing the last 3 weeks and i am enjoying a lot more.

For people doing pre-season, what sort of running routines are you guys doing?

For people doing pre-season, what sort of running routines are you guys doing?

Previously i would run 4-5 times a week, that would include footy preseason training twice a week plus 2-3 extra sessions involving 3km - 8km runs and over the xmas break again 5 sessions with 2 session being sprint session the other 3 "distance runs"

This year i have really changed things up only 3 HIIT sessions a week, first thing in the morning. They will involve 10-15 mins of 30 secs on/ 30 secons off, every second week i will increase the duration. One of the three will be hill sprints 12-15 of those about 30m. Plus i go to footy training Wednesday nights. The biggest run i will do without stopping is 3km and only done a couple of times for time trial.

I have being going to the gym consistently for the last 15 months and have found strengthening my legs have really helped with my running.

I'm 5 weeks into a 3 phase pre-season training plan. This supplements any time I spend in the gym. I'll try to be as brief as possible for ease of understanding.

Week 1 was a strength circuit, book ended by one day of 6x25m with 10s rest, 6x50m w/ 15s rest and 6x75m w/ 20s rest. At the end there is varied amounts of plyo, and the last session for the week is a tempo run of 16x50m Jogs of about 60-75% effort simulating getting to a contest, between each 50m you walk/trot for 25m and keep the session timed.

Week 2 was the same as week 1, with 8x25/50/75 same rest, and a 3k time trial replacing the tempo runs.

Week 3 was the same as week 1 but with 6x25/50/75 and 5/10/15 seconds of rest, and another tempo run of 18x50m.

Week 4 was same as week 2 and same rest as week 3. Another 3k time trial.

Week 5 is same as week 1 but 6x25/50/75/50/25 with 10/15/20s rest, and a tempo run of 20x50m.

Pretty simple stuff but in addition to an added sprint workout 1 day a week of just 10x50m and 10x100m runs that I do mid week. No real long runs for me, but my times are really coming along.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back