No Oppo Supporters Essendon* - 6900 & Beyond - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ha i see your point, Taranto McCluggage Setterfield(gws) Petrevski top end draft midfielders... He'll start to transition into the midfield and be a very good midfielder too, just doing his apprenticeship down back atm...
He's still essentially the player he was when he was drafted, an athletically superior faster version of Reece Conca. Both players are back pocket/mids, and both players exert all their talent finding the ball and are left frantically searching for an option as space closes down on them.

He's small for a mid, and he'd want to develop into a fair leader and in/out mid for it to have been worth the top billing. That said, you don't pick with pick 1 to get the best player, you pick one who is the safest bet. He's AFL caliber, so they're going to be happy with the pick.

I agree with Funk, though. You don't spend pick 1 on a back pocket who might become a midfielder.
He's their best youngster by a fair way...
You forgot the word 'hilariously'...

He's still essentially the player he was when he was drafted, an athletically superior faster version of Reece Conca. Both players are back pocket/mids, and both players exert all their talent finding the ball and are left frantically searching for an option as space closes down on them.

He's small for a mid, and he'd want to develop into a fair leader and in/out mid for it to have been worth the top billing. That said, you don't pick with pick 1 to get the best player, you pick one who is the safest bet. He's AFL caliber, so they're going to be happy with the pick.

I agree with Funk, though. You don't spend pick 1 on a back pocket who might become a midfielder.

You forgot the word 'hilariously'...
Completely disagree on the Conca comparison he's a much better player than that, also although list managers recruiting teams more than likely go for the safe bet on early selections I'm of the view that you back yourself in and go for the best player.
I probably should have explained why McGrath is the best of the youngster on their list, players around his age and under are what I'm classing it on..

Every other player turns 26plus next year...

Imo he's got all these covered..
Andrew McGrath 22yrs
Darcy Parish 23yrs
Kyle Langford 24yrs
Aaron Francis 23yrs
Mark Bagualey 23yrs
Jordan Ridley 22yrs
Jayden Laverde 24yrs
Josh Begley 22yrs
Kobe Mutch 22yrs
Irving Mosquito 18yrs
Jordan Houlihan 21yrs
Mason Redman 23yrs
Brandon Thatcher 22yrs
Matt Guelfi 23yrs
Dylan Clarke 22yrs
Connor McKenna 24yrs

Last edited:
Completely disagree on the Conca comparison he's a much better player than that, also although list managers recruiting teams more than likely go for the safe bet on early selections I'm of the view that you back yourself in and go for the best player.
I probably should have explained why McGrath is the best of the youngster on their list, players around his age and under are what I'm classing it on..

Every other player turns 26plus next year...

Imo he's got all these covered..
Andrew McGrath 22yrs
Darby Parish 23yrs
Kyle Langford 24yrs
Aaron Francis 23yrs
Mark Bagualey 23yrs
Jordan Ridley 22yrs
Jayden Laverde 24yrs
Josh Begley 22yrs
Kobe Mutch 22yrs
Irving Mosquito 18yrs
Jordan Houlihan 21yrs
Mason Redman 23yrs
Brandon Thatcher 22yrs
Matt Guelfi 23yrs
Dylan Clarke 22yrs
Connor McKenna 24yrs

Aaron Francis still has time on his side, plus he gets a pass from his inconsistent form/lack of growth as expected, due to some heavy issues in his personal life, such as the tragic death of his brother, which understandably took a massive toll on his mental and emotional state.

Some times you see glimpses of his massive potential and think, geez, he could be a real impact player in this league. I do think he needs fresh start though, reckon Port Adelaide would be the perfect fit for him.

Aaron Francis still has time on his side, plus he gets a pass from his inconsistent form/lack of growth as expected, due to some heavy issues in his personal life, such as the tragic death of his brother, which understandably took a massive toll on his mental and emotional state.

Some times you see glimpses of his massive potential and think, geez, he could be a real impact player in this league. I do think he needs fresh start though, reckon Port Adelaide would be the perfect fit for him.
Has had it really tough no doubt, massive potential could be a terrific player if he can overcome everything...

Which two evils are worse, can't cop both but a fresh start going back home might be the tonic...

Which two evils are worse, can't cop both but a fresh start going back home might be the tonic...

He fills a very desperate need for Port as well, at CHB.. Problem is Dodoro is almost as difficult to negotiate with as a terrorist, so Port may have to wait till he becomes eligible for Free Agency.

I don't see where we disagree; Conca's career has been derailed by injury, and I've already stated that McGrath is faster and more naturally athletic than he is.

See if you can find any footage of him in traffic, either behind the ball or within a clearance situation. The bloke goes hard as buggery to get the ball, but once obtained he's not instinctive. He doesn't immediately know where the best option is (Cripps, JPK) and he doesn't possess a force field impeding the tackler (Pendlebury, SPS). He's quick but not powerful, so he can't break from congestion like Judd/Danger. He's quick but not lightning, agile but not evasive. His skills are good, not great; better when he has a second or two to think.

He could be a decent winger, but his skills at ball winning within a stoppage (which Essendon would be remiss to ignore) mean that while this is his best use (as an in/out player akin to Josh Kelly) they will use him as we did Marc Murphy; a square peg shoved into a round hole. And unlike Murph, who was drafted as a mid and has always played as a mid, McGrath has much, much further to go to become that AFL level midfielder, and a completely different position to learn within quite possibly the worst development for learning two way running in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep seeing "vanilla" as a description when it comes to McGrath. It couldn't be anymore fitting.

Isn't terrible at anything nor is he great at anything. 64 games and not a single Brownlow vote. He hasn't even broken into a permanent place in the midfield yet, and the Bombers aren't world beaters in that regard.

Gibbs and Murph copped a fair amount of criticism of which some was justified, but I'd take either of those two long before even a glance at McGrath.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

rolling.gif

79138225_2757757934244924_8407631926277439488_n.jpg

Geez at this rate they'll be surpassing our membership numbers... :p

From a few decades ago.
Got the combined Norf, GWS and GCS membership bases covered already

... and unlike their numbers, it will keep going up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back