Retired Allen Christensen (2014-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Has been a fantastic recruit for our club! Was coming off an injury interrupted 2014 with the Cats and a very small pre season. He slowly built into the season and was arguably our best player in the second half of the season with some big games and it resulted in him finishing top 5 in the BnF(Second behind the four winners). He is an exciting prospect with his pace, classy skills and goal kicking ability.

If Bundy can have a full pre season and improve his fitness I expect him to have a big season next year with more midfield time and my prediction is that he will become a consistent, goal kicking midfielder.

2015 Player Review: Part One

Allen Christensen played every match in 2015 despite recovering from back surgery. The 24-year old premiership player from Geelong averaged 20 disposals and a goal a game, recording a season high 31 possessions in Round 10 against GWS. With his good vision, decision-making and foot skills, it is little wonder Christensen (6.2) topped the Lions in score assists in 2015. He was rewarded for his strong season when he was recognised as runner-up in this year’s Merrett-Murray Medal. Leading into his second pre-season at the Lions, Christensen can only get better.

Is the nickname Bundy a reference to the Married With Children character Al Bundy?

And if so, am I the only one that took a year to realise this?

I am looking forward to seeing what he can produce next year after a full preseason. His form in the second half of the season went up a couple of gears after gaining fitness in the first half of the year. It was quite impressive in the end that he played all 22 games after a back injury restricted him to just 8 games in 2014 and he had no pre season heading into 2015.

He was judged quite harshly by both Lions fans and commentators in the first half of the year imo taking into consideration the fact that he had no pre season and had barely played any footy in 18 months heading into Round 1 of 2015. His form was really exciting in the second half of the year.

Give him a full summer to gain fitness and I think he will have a career best year next year. If Bundy can play at his best consistently for a full year we will have another A grader on our hands:thumbsu:

at his best christensen is an absolute gun, leppa said when he first came to the lions he thought he had the potential to be a better pick up than dayne beams, now thats saying something. also probably along with ex team mate joel selwood the best at receiving head high frees in the AFL.

I really admire Bundy's attitude and approach since moving up here. He understood he had some issues in Geelong and a fresh environment would help him with continuing his footy career but most importantly his own welfare.

Constantly seeing photos of him and his girlfriend sharing their new experiences together in Brisbane/Overseas implies his maturity to settle down and set a terrific example for the younger players. Considering he is still very young himself, I'm sure there is a lot more progression ahead of him and he could well and truly become a consideration for captaincy down the track.

at his best christensen is an absolute gun, leppa said when he first came to the lions he thought he had the potential to be a better pick up than dayne beams, now thats saying something. also probably along with ex team mate joel selwood the best at receiving head high frees in the AFL.
Yeah I am calling it now Bundy will be in our top 3 players in 2016.

Last edited:

Based on this photo it looks like Bundy has added a fair amount of ink over the off season. He went from having a few tattoos on his left forearm to a sleeve tattoo on both arms.

Again based on this photo, looks to have lost a good deal of avoir dupois over the break. Nice and skinny.

To me, indicative of a positive mindset. All good stuff.

Last season showed he could get his hands on the pill ok, but lacked that bit of finish, possibly due to lack of total fitness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christensen At Home Up Forward

Allen Christensen is relishing a new pre-season. Free from injury, he’s hoping to have a bigger impact on the scoreboard in 2016.

The 24-year-old was full of praise for the Lions' newest recruits and hopes that their presence in the midfield will allow him to assert himself up forward – a role he feels most at home.

“We’ve obviously got Ryan Bastinac and Tom Bell who can roll through the midfield as well – we’ve recruited pretty well,” Christensen told LionsTV.

“I just have to wait and see. If I’m needed in there (midfield), I know I can go in and do a job. But, I think that half forward role is where I can make a huge difference getting high up the ground and kicking a few goals.”

Brisbane Lion Allen Christensen says he’s in the best shape of his career

BRISBANE midfielder Allen Christensen says there is fat chance of him copping any jibes about his weight from Jason Akermanis in 2016.

Brownlow Medallist and triple premiership player Akermanis raised questions about the condition of Christensen and Lions teammate Josh Green last year.

Christensen was coming off a disrupted pre-season after a second round of back surgery and took the best part of four months to find his best form in his first campaign at the Gabba after making the switch from Geelong.

It is a different story this season.

The 2011 premiership player is 5kg lighter than he was at this time last year after a full summer of hard yards on the training track.

He did not play in the NAB Challenge match against the Gold Coast on Sunday but a lean and mean Christensen is expected to be front and centre when the Lions take on St Kilda in Mackay on March 6.

“I’m ready to go. I’ve had probably the best pre-season that I’ve ever had. I dropped four or five kilos from last year so hopefully I won’t be getting potted from Jason Akermanis,’’ he said.

“Looking back on it now, I probably wasn’t in the greatest shape last year. I still think my output was OK but I’m looking forward to taking another step up.

“I probably didn’t realise how hard it would be (coming back from back surgery). Getting that few extra months of training in is going to make a huge difference to me.’’

He said the criticism from Akermanis hit a nerve.

“I’d be lying if I said it didn’t hurt me a little bit. All I wanted to do was go out there and try to play my best footy. It is what it is. It’s in the past now and hopefully I can prove a few people wrong this year,’’ Christensen said.

Christensen lauded the performance from fellow Lara junior and Lions teammate Rhys Mathieson in the loss to the Gold Coast. The no. 39 draft pick had 13 touches and kicked a goal as well as winning six free kicks in an eye-catching effort.

“He was really impressive. He can draw the free kick really well,’’ Christensen said.

“He is a Lara boy like I am so I take a little bit of extra pride in that. He is as hard as and loves the contest and I can’t wait to play with him.’’

Allen Christensen To Miss NAB Challenge

Allen Christensen has had minor finger surgery but will be fit for Round 1 of the AFL Premiership season.

Christensen had a cyst removed from his finger late last week and has already returned to training, completing 40 minutes of running at today's session at Coorparoo.

He is expected to miss the Lions' remaining two NAB Challenge games while the finger heals but is a definite starter for the opening round clash with West Coast Eagles in Perth on March 27.

I am so glad this bloke plays for our footy club. He is always one of the first to congratulate a teammate enthusiastically for kicking a goal or back a team mate up when they get in a scuffle. You can tell he loves his teammates and the club and on top of it all he is a seriously good footballer.

I think I feel safer with the ball in his hand running through the midfield than anyone else on the team. He almost always picks a good option and hits it.

Probably the most naturally instinctive footballer we have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back