AFLW Player Ruby Svarc (2020-)

Remove this Banner Ad

From the family farm to the big stage: Competitive sisters inspiring Lions

sXb5eoDC.jpg

CATHY and Ruby Svarc love nothing more than competing.

Whether it was against each other as children where they would sprint around their home in the quickest time possible, or against opposing AFLW teams, helping Brisbane to a third straight preliminary final with a contagious desperation that inspires their teammates.

If it's a competition, the Svarc sisters are in.

Two of five siblings that grew up on the family's farm on the Murray River near Corowa, 45 minutes west of Albury, the pair were born into adventure.

And although they wouldn't take up competitive sport until their mid-teens, that didn't stop them from wanting to one-up each other at everything.

"We had a massive garden and all this lawn area to play games," Ruby told womens.afl.

"We played soccer, we played badminton, volleyball, cricket. We were kind of out of town, so we had to make our own fun.

"It was always competitive.

"Whether it was games, board games, card games, racing each other around the house, who could do it quickest. We'd race each other on bikes.

"We were always trying to outdo each other – who could do the longest handstands."

ulAgnWpq.jpg

That "massive garden" Ruby speaks of is a 400-acre property that runs poultry and cattle and harvests mixed crops.

"We had to be fairly creative. We'd say, 'We're bored' and mum would say, 'Go outside'," Cathy continued with a laugh.

"We'd go on little adventures around the farm, or we'd play games, two v three. That's what I remember. We'd be outside playing all the time."

With older sister Simone and younger siblings James and Caroline to fill out the numbers – the five were all born in a seven-year span – there was always something happening.

Cathy and Ruby were always good athletes, as explosive at sports day sprints as they are now on a football field, and once they hit high school, convinced their parents to play club netball, the first time they would be put into a structured environment.

wRmZ20u1.jpg

Ruby says it was here, as a 14-year-old, that she fostered habits that would last a lifetime.

"My first two years we lost every single game," she said.

"My third season we won our first game maybe five rounds in and the euphoria we felt winning was amazing.

"We always went in as hard as we possibly could no matter what the score was.

"For me, as a footballer or athlete, if we're down on the scoreboard, it doesn't bother me. There's always that determination to win, no matter what the score is.

"We're not put off by the score if we are losing. It won't change the way we play, it only actually makes me play harder."

uw6zy55V.jpg

Ruby left home at the age of 19 and headed to Melbourne to finish her university degree and begin working, while Cathy would find her way to Geelong to begin life as a physiotherapist.

It was here their life would take a huge twist.

With the AFLW in its first season in early 2017, the sisters would sit at Cathy's place and watch on.

Their extended family were into Australian Football, so they'd always been exposed to it and had an interest, but never had an opportunity to play.

"It sparked a bit of interest," Cathy said. "We thought, 'Jeez, that'd be pretty cool'."

With the seed planted, Ruby would head along to St Mary's Salesian in the VAFA to give the sport a go. She loved it instantly.

At almost the same time, Cathy had moved to Brisbane to continue her work career and headed along to Wilston Grange.

"Ruby had just started and told me to have a go. I just needed a bit of a push," she said.

"I didn't know anyone there. It was the first time in my life I'd rocked up not knowing anyone – I'd only been in Brisbane a month or two.

"I rocked up at Grange and they welcomed me pretty quickly. Luttsy (Kate Lutkins) was there, Shannon (Campbell) was there. It opened some opportunities for me."

Amazingly, both sisters won premierships in their first seasons. Cathy would be drafted by the Lions in 2019, with her explosive pace, running power between contests and thirst for laying tackles eye-catching.

Ruby would head north 12 months later after starring for Essendon in the VFLW, finishing runner-up in the League best and fairest.

VFLW14DaEs21MO795763782.JPG

It took a year on the Lions list together before they'd run out in the same game – round three against Carlton in season six – but since then they haven't missed a beat.

Cathy, who is about to turn 31, is a critical part of Brisbane's midfield alongside Emily Bates and Ally Anderson, while her 29-year-old sister has slotted into the forward line with ease, using her speed to apply relentless pressure and create opportunities both with and without the ball.

Their impact can be summed up in one play against Essendon in round six. With the ball around 50m from Brisbane's goal, Ruby laid the perfect tackle on her Bombers opponent, and when the ball spilled free, Cathy was there to swoop, gather, run 15m and kick accurately as the three-quarter time siren sounded.

The next chance for the pair to compete comes against Adelaide at Metricon Stadium on Friday night.

One more win and the girls that spent the early years of their lives trying to beat each other on the vast spaces of a Corowa farm might just get the chance to lift a premiership trophy together for the first time.

Speedy Svarc Clocks 25 Games

230364_AFLW_Milestone_Games_Ruby_Svarc_25_Article_header.jpg

Ruby Svarc, like teammate Sophie Conway, will celebrate with a milestone of her own against Port Adelaide on Saturday as she runs out for the 25th time in Lions colours.

Recruited from Essendon’s VFLW side prior to the 2021 season, Ruby joined her sister Cathy in the Lions den and is incredibly grateful for the opportunity.

“It is pretty amazing considering I didn’t know if I’d even debut at one point,” she admitted.

“Especially given all of those games were last year because we had the two seasons in one year, so it has come around pretty quickly.”

Debuting in Round 2 of Season Six, 2022, Svarc burst onto the AFLW scene playing 10 games in her first season.

“It is hard coming into the team not being one of the most experienced or necessarily one of the best players,” she said.

“I focussed on what my strengths were and what I could bring to the team which was bringing my defensive pressure to get myself into the game.”

Also known for her outside run, Svarc uses her blistering pace to drive the Lions forward in attack.

Svarc played all available games in Season Seven, including a stunning goal in Round 7 against North Melbourne.

In that gameshe displayed her run and carry from defensive 50, deliver the ball inside the Lions forward half, receive the ball back and split the middle of the big sticks.

A reliable forward, Svarc is also strong in defence, recording an incredible 10 tackles in the Lions Preliminary Final win over the Adelaide Crows in Season Seven.

THE SVARC sisters have etched their names into history.

Brisbane duo Cathy and Ruby Svarc became the first pair of sisters to win an AFLW premiership together when their side triumphed over North Melbourne by 17 points.
https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/10...rt-north-melbourne-kangaroos-v-brisbane-lions
"It was pretty special to be out there playing with the girls and to become the first sisters to ever win a flag together," said Ruby.

"It feels amazing, we had the opportunity last year and to finish the way we did was really disappointing, but we made amends for it this season," said Cathy.

The sisters are two of five siblings who grew up on a 400-acre property in Corowa, just outside of Albury, and it was here where their competitive instincts started to develop.

"We come from a big family, and we lived out on a big farm," Cathy said.

Ruby said: "We always have been AFL fans since we can remember, we grew up watching it all the time, it was such a big part of our lives in Northeast Victoria.

"It wasn't until AFLW started that we thought it was maybe something we could try to pursue.

"We've always played competitive sport, we both always wanted to play elite sport in some form."

Older sister Cathy was drafted to the club in 2019 before Ruby joined her in Queensland prior to the 2021 season.

"We both started footy the same year and built our way through the pathways in the couple of years after that," said Cathy.

"It was pretty cool when Rubes came up to Brisbane and I love playing together."

Cathy was an integral part of the Lions' 2021 flag and has been one of Brisbane's most consistent performers for several seasons now, but it took Ruby a little bit longer to make her presence felt on the big stage.

Ruby won the AFLW Grand Final sprint in that 2021 season and while she was happy to play a part, she says nothing compares to tasting ultimate premiership glory alongside Cathy and their other teammates this year.

"It was special to be a part of that day and to feel like I was contributing to the club, but it doesn't even come close to this. Nothing compares to this," laughed Ruby.
https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/10...al-north-melbourne-kangaroos-v-brisbane-lions
After the Lions were pillaged by expansion clubs over the off-season, Ruby was one who looked likely to thrive with added opportunity and responsibility, but a serious calf injury back in round two threatened to derail her season.

"This season didn't go to plan for me, I had a really good pre-season and was hoping that this would be my best season yet," she said.

"It was pretty unfortunate, but I kept working hard and kept working through it and managed to get back in time for the pointy end of the season."

Ruby returned to the senior side in round 10 and her pressure and speed was crucial in the Lions' forward half.

"It was pretty challenging, we did it the right way in that I played a couple of practice matches before coming back into the senior side," she said.

"That really helped me to transition back into the team."

Cathy, now a 55-game veteran, suffered a knee injury early in the Grand Final and was unable to reach her usual output, but pushed through the pain to help her side to victory.

"The injury was a bit frustrating. It was pretty annoying in that first quarter to twist my knee," she said.

"We made it work as best we could, I still went out there and tried to impact the game as much as possible.

"I was just trying to play my role as best I could.

"It's always frustrating because I'm used to knowing what I can do, but I just tried to bring the pressure."

The Lions' game style is characterised by high intensity and elite pressure, and they laid 109 tackles to set a new AFLW tackling record.

"The game was so intense, until the last five or six minutes of the game where it opened up, both teams were fighting so hard, the pressure was huge," said Cathy.

"There's such a big build up, we tried to stay pretty level-headed throughout the week and focus all of our energy on the game."

Cathy will await scans for the severity of her knee issue but says the feeling of a second premiership medallion hanging around her neck will certainly ease the pain of any time on the sidelines.

"Hopefully it's nothing too serious, we've got a bit of time off now to recover, I'm feeling pretty good right now anyway," she said.

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1070658/sisterly-success-brisbane-lions-duo-ruby-cathy-svarc-make-history-in-aflw-grand-final-win

Boltz and Svarc commit to the Den

240135_Poppy_Ruby_Extension_Article_Header.jpg

Brisbane Lions AFLW premiership players Ruby Svarc and Poppy Boltz have both committed to the Club beyond 2025.

The pair inked contract extensions during the offseason with Svarc penning a two-year extension while Boltz extends for one-year.
Svarc, who notched 25 games for the Club enroute to her first AFLW premiership was ecstatic to be committing to the Club long term.

“I’m really excited to be staying in Brisbane for at least the next two years,” Svarc said.

“It is exciting because we have such a strong culture within the group, the program is really strong and it is the right fit for me and where I’m at with my footy.”
AFLW senior coach, Craig Starcevich made note of the crucial roles both players have within the team.

“It is great to see both girls commit to the Club for the next couple of years,” he said.

“We are in a solid position as a team, so to have two players who play important roles within our group want to stay is an outstanding outcome for our program.

“Both players provide us with great athleticism and versatility on field and are also fantastic people off it which is something we value highly at the Brisbane Lions.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back