An Album A Day

View attachment 394696
Day 25. Talking Heads- Remain In Light

One of the best albums of the 80s saw Talking Heads teaming up with producer Brian Eno to create a punk and funk influenced album that created a unique style of music that hasn't been replicated yet. I've enjoyed the popular Talking Heads songs that I've heard on the radio but haven't yet delved into their less popular music until now. I really enjoyed listening to this as it was a familiar genre with a twist. The catchy rhythms and layered melodies made this a fun and interesting album.

My Top 3

1. Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)- A fantastic opening track full of random sounds including video game noises. Belew's and Byrne's vocals blend perfectly also.
  2. Once In A Lifetime- The most popular track of the Album has a simple and catchy bass riff to go along with equally catchy vocals.
  3. The Listening Wind- A great song with deep lyrics and fantastic guitar. You can hear the influences of African music in this song.

Gem of the Album

The Overload- This song is a Brian Eno ambient inspired track. The swirling guitar loop combined with the buzzing synthesiser creates a great ending to the album.
I was never that big on Talking Heads until I heard Once In A Lifetime ..... love the whole album. Eno & Byrne's My Life In The Bush of Ghosts is very good too.

If you want some other suggestions, some of my faves are

A Question of Balance - The Moody Blues. My second fave of theirs is Seventh Sojourn
Fragile - Yes. other faves are Close To The Edge and The Yes Album
Chicago 2 ... Chicago 1 is v good too
Tommy - The Who. And The Who Sell Out
Inagadadavida - Iron Butterfly
Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Get Yer YaYas Out - Rolling Stones
Red Sails On The Sunset - Midnight Oil. And Oils On The Water
Woodstock
Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull
Caravanserai and Moonflower - Santana
In The Wake of the Crimson King - King Crimson

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
I see that you haven't got time for reviews any more which is cool, life catches up.

Couple of slightly heavier rock albums I like, not sure if it is really what you would listen to but maybe broaden the horizons. ;)

Seether - Disclaimer II. Also Remedy, Rise Above This, I've Got You Under My Skin.

Theory Of A Deadman, self titled album. Also No Surprise & Not Meant To Be.

Great thread Thommo333

If you're interested in more hip hop albums, I'd suggest Nas - Illmatic. Often considered the best hip hop album of all time, and deservedly so.

Back