And then there were 5 - Vote now

Remove this Banner Ad

I voted for Bailey, why, why not. He is a seasoned assistant coach, working for a team that is very successful, under a good coach, has coached the backine and the midfield, and has worked as a development coach at the bombers under Sheedy.
I believe Sheedy is past it, Connolly and Riley no reason needed and Hardwick I don't think is ready.

Port people have good things to say about Bailey, and I think that says wonders when a coach of some sort is praised by the fans of the club he works for.

I voted for Sheedy, but would certainly not be unhappy with Bailey. The more I hear of him the more I like him.

I voted for Sheeds however I'm not too fussed as to whoever the Melbourne brains trust appoint. The new coach simply must win more games than losses. Historically our club has lost more games than won.Sure we have won 12 flags (before I was born) I want to see the club simply win more than 50% of games played as we go forward under the new coach over say a moving 3 year average. Achieve this and it means finals most years.
Finals means opportunites to win the elusive flag. Winning games means we have a chance to influence kids to barrack for our club. More supporters bodes well for the future.
Winning regulary means dollars for club revenue which equals long term prosperity for our club.
The new coach is a massive appointment which Gardner and company simply must get right.
Daniher did not win the premiership we all want but he did achieve a win loss % in the high 40's% which is comparable to the clubs historical win loss %.
Melbourne needs and must do better than the Daniher years.
I think all Melbourne people agree on that statement.
Paul Gardner, whomever you pick just get it right and start winning games.

That's what I think.
Opinions??
Cheers
Trippledee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not Connolly? He is a proven coach. Was it all his fault that Freo were so poor this year?
Opinions?
The only thing Connolly has proven is that he can't coach very well, it would be the same mediocre performances as with Daniher. It also wasn't all his fault that freo were poor this year but he has to take blame for the culture of that club, a culture that I can safely say is below ours and thats pretty bad.

The only thing Connolly has proven is that he can't coach very well, it would be the same mediocre performances as with Daniher. It also wasn't all his fault that freo were poor this year but he has to take blame for the culture of that club, a culture that I can safely say is below ours and thats pretty bad.
I don't know how old you are Master Bate. I'm old enough to remember when Denis Jones was coach of Melbourne and I saw Phil Carman play for Melbourne and Carl Ditterich as our coach.
Daniher was not that bad a coach. I saw Melbourne win a lot of games with him as coach. I'm not sure if his win loss ratio is as good as Northey's but compared to the Melbourne coaches I've seen Daniher was pretty darn good. I never saw a Norm Smith side play, wasn't born.
Daniher wasn't bad compared to the others I've seen.
Of course we didn't win a flag with Daniher and 10 years was time to go. No argument with that.
Is the culture thing what you read in the papers by journalists like Caroline Wilson who I don't rate?

Anyway it's fun to have different opinions. I just really hope we get a good coach. I don't want a return to my childhood in the dark days of the 70's and 80's when life as a Melbourne supporter was going to watch ROBBIE play well and see the side lose.
No prize for guessing I wore no.2 on my duffel coat back then

Robbie Flower :best Demon I've seen!!!!

1. K.Sheedy: would have to be odds on favourite to be given the job.

2. D.Bailey: don't know a lot about him but seems to be highly regarded, good background and must be a good communicator if he can make the list ahead of Bond, McKenna.

3. D.Hardwick: Would be a gamble. But as a Premiership player and well known hardnut, could be one worth taking. Hated him as a player.

4. C.Connolly: please no.

5. M.Riley: lol!

I hope CC gets it. He has the experience, is an ex-Melbourne man and is good in the media. Also in my opinion he is a good coach. look what he was able to do with Fremantle, before he took over they were the basket case of the AFL and he was able to take them to a prelim in 5 years, in the process changing their entire culture. Sure things did not go to plan this year but all the blame cannot rest with CC, many players like Sandilands, Peake, Crowley did not deliver this year.

goal sneak, they still are a basketcase. Going to the draft will get you good players, which is what they have. A team with that list should have done more than what they have, and they sure as hell should've been at least top 6 this year.

I don't know how old you are Master Bate. I'm old enough to remember when Denis Jones was coach of Melbourne and I saw Phil Carman play for Melbourne and Carl Ditterich as our coach.
Daniher was not that bad a coach. I saw Melbourne win a lot of games with him as coach. I'm not sure if his win loss ratio is as good as Northey's but compared to the Melbourne coaches I've seen Daniher was pretty darn good. I never saw a Norm Smith side play, wasn't born.
Daniher wasn't bad compared to the others I've seen.
Of course we didn't win a flag with Daniher and 10 years was time to go. No argument with that.
Is the culture thing what you read in the papers by journalists like Caroline Wilson who I don't rate?
Yeah wasn't around in those days and I don't disagree about ND, was a very good coach but could he deliver a premiership, my believe and obviously that of the club is no he couldn't. So the club owes the supporters someone better, someone who can win a flag, and I believe Connolly won't get near one.
As for the culture I'm talking as much on-field than off, no more late season fade outs, no more soft footy, no more winning one week losing to Carlton the next. Which one club has a bigger reputation for it than us - Freo.

Connelly can be credited with (somewhat) helping put together a good list at Fremantle, but he failed to achieve success with them. If he couldn't go that with a strong list (age and experience wise, they are/were rated as "prime" contenders for the flag) and a big home ground advantage, why should we chase him.

Kevin Sheedy
Bartram_Class, Bond.ShaneBond, bringbackschwarter5, CaptainDavey, chipper, Clint Bizkit, Daniel138, Deenamite, DemonDoob, demondude, DemonErrol1964 - dees, demonfan9, demonfire, Dez!, JuveRule, Klyntonius, Marns, Master of Cooks, melbournemartin, Russel Sprout, Super Demon, The Great Gabsby, TripleDee, w00dy, whelan=legend
25 60.98%
Chris Connolly (are you insane)
BigBoPBope, goal sneak, Obbie, The_Eagles, unstable punt
5 12.20%
Dean Bailey
Bateanator, BMac4Captain, dutchy12, ExTasDeeMan, master bate, Mickent, Stargazer, Supermercado, the russian40
9 21.95%
Damien Hardwick
BA Baracus, javo23
2 4.88%

Yeah wasn't around in those days and I don't disagree about ND, was a very good coach but could he deliver a premiership, my believe and obviously that of the club is no he couldn't. So the club owes the supporters someone better, someone who can win a flag, and I believe Connolly won't get near one.
As for the culture I'm talking as much on-field than off, no more late season fade outs, no more soft footy, no more winning one week losing to Carlton the next. Which one club has a bigger reputation for it than us - Freo.
I think what you are saying is no more excuses. I'm sick of excuses why our club does not achieve when others do. I'm still bitter over the crap performances against Carlton last year. Pathetic. Performances and results like those games test even the most die hard supporter to the limit.
Daniher was good but obviously not good enough. Lost more games than he won and that is fact.
I don't reckon Cuddles is completely to blame on the culture.
I believe he can coach.
Speaking of culture. Master Sylvia might need some cultural education after recent events.
Lets just hope that in 3 or 4 years time we look back and believe Melbourne chose a bloody good coach who's done a great job and dare we dream won a flag.
That's my hope whoever the coach is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back