finrod

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Want to get into "electronica".... I have been told this guy is good, but I don't know where to start. What albums/songs are good? And not the Star Wars theme - I listened to that and it was crap!

Windowlicker or Come to Daddy are an obvious starting point. Get your hands on 'Selected Ambient Works 85-92'. I'm not a huge electronic music fan, but this is a great album.

Want to get into "electronica".... I have been told this guy is good, but I don't know where to start. What albums/songs are good? And not the Star Wars theme - I listened to that and it was crap!

It depends what you call electronica. There are plenty of genres to get into from dance styles through to ambient through to experimental sounds. If you want to start at the beginning, well my beginning at least, check out Tangerine Dream , say Phaedra, and Kraftwerk's Autobahn. Their influence can't be understated. Brian Eno of Roxy Music fame put out a fair bit that is worth a listen. Leftfield put out a sublime recording called Leftism that deserves a listen by all discerning lovers of music. A classic recording. Just about anything by The Chemical Brothers though some would suggest that you start with Dig Your Own Hole. Underworld put out a couple of goodies. Aphex Twin I like as well so that is a good mention. The Prodigy have their moments as do The Future Sound Of London. I can relate trip hop to electronica at times so Massive Attack, Faithless and Postishead for example are worth a listen. That is a few of the top of my head. Hope that helps.

Good recommendations there John, never heard of Tangerine Dream - are they as good as Kraftwerk?

In the 'ambient' genre, Air are pretty good. Daft Punk also have a couple of great house albums - "Discovery" and "Homework".

I got into experimental electronica through Aphex Twin, Autechre and Squarepusher.

I'd recommend the following from these guys:

Aphex Twin - Drukqs is a good all-round primer of the different styles he can do, while I Care Because You Do is a fairly seminal ambient-beat album and The Richard D James Album has some of his more well-known stuff.

Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things, his debut, is a classic synthesis of his jazz bass skills and drill'n'bass style. Pretty much anything by Squarepusher is good, but his landmark albums would be that one, Go Plastic for the beats, Music Is Rotted One Note for the jazz and his latest, Hello Everything for a godo mix.

Autechre - There's really one place only to start with these guys that will give you the best overall appraisal of their sound, Tri Repetae, mindfcuk electronica at its best. Everything before is more ambient and melodic, everything after is more cold, experimental and 'difficult'.

Good recommendations there John, never heard of Tangerine Dream - are they as good as Kraftwerk?

In the 'ambient' genre, Air are pretty good. Daft Punk also have a couple of great house albums - "Discovery" and "Homework".

My personal opinion is that they were more influential than Kraftwerk. More experimental and were putting out records long before. To quote Allmusic
"Without doubt, the recordings of Tangerine Dream have made the greatest impact on the widest variety of instrumental music during the 1980s and '90s, ranging from the most atmospheric new age and space music to the harshest abrasions of electronic dance." If you look at the discography the output is enormous. I actually got Pheadra, that Allmusic give rightfully 5 stars to, on release in 1974 as a 14 year old and it's influence on me was massive. I think that it has stood the test of time but to a new listener maybe not. Remember that in 74 this type of music was purely on the fringe. Virgin took a chance on Pheadra that payed. To quote Allmusic again

"Phaedra is one of the most important, artistic, and exciting works in the history of electronic music, a brilliant and compelling summation of Tangerine Dream's early avant-space direction balanced with the synthesizer/sequencer technology just beginning to gain a foothold in nonacademic circles. The result is best heard on the 15-minute title track, unparalleled before or since for its depth of sound and vision. Given focus by the arpeggiated trance that drifts in and out of the mix, the track progresses through several passages including a few surprisingly melodic keyboard lines and an assortment of eerie Moog and Mellotron effects, gaseous explosions, and windy sirens. Despite the impending chaos, the track sounds more like a carefully composed classical work than an unrestrained piece of noise. While the title track takes the cake, there are three other excellent tracks on Phaedra. "Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares" is a solo Edgar Froese song that uses some surprisingly emotive and affecting synthesizer washes, and "Movements of a Visionary" is a more experimental piece, using treated voices and whispers to drive its hypnotic arpeggios. Perhaps even more powerful as a musical landmark now than when it was first recorded, Phaedra has proven the test of time."

I agree with you on Air by the way. Love them though they are more melodic at times and are by no means experimental. It all depends on ones taste in the end. Electronica is a huge and a very fruitful genre to explore for those not stuck in their own little rock and roll ruts.

I got into experimental electronica through Aphex Twin, Autechre and Squarepusher.

I'd recommend the following from these guys:

Aphex Twin - Drukqs is a good all-round primer of the different styles he can do, while I Care Because You Do is a fairly seminal ambient-beat album and The Richard D James Album has some of his more well-known stuff.

Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things, his debut, is a classic synthesis of his jazz bass skills and drill'n'bass style. Pretty much anything by Squarepusher is good, but his landmark albums would be that one, Go Plastic for the beats, Music Is Rotted One Note for the jazz and his latest, Hello Everything for a godo mix.

Autechre - There's really one place only to start with these guys that will give you the best overall appraisal of their sound, Tri Repetae, mindfcuk electronica at its best. Everything before is more ambient and melodic, everything after is more cold, experimental and 'difficult'.

A couple of new names there for me. I will check them out. Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're kinda just starting and want some fun beats, then you cant go past groove armada, chemical brothers and basement jaxx. great slightly mainstream funky house.

The best way to get really into electro house is to go and listen to it at a club.

If you're kinda just starting and want some fun beats, then you cant go past groove armada, chemical brothers and basement jaxx. great slightly mainstream funky house.

The best way to get really into electro house is to go and listen to it at a club.

Generally I am not into club music... I find stuff like the chemical brothers good, but a bit loud for my taste. I was hoping to get into more laid back or "ambient" electronic music, and I don't know but I thought Aphex Twin might be the go. Stuff maybe like Thom Yorke's Eraser or Bjork's Vespertines, which I like.

Generally I am not into club music... I find stuff like the chemical brothers good, but a bit loud for my taste. I was hoping to get into more laid back or "ambient" electronic music, and I don't know but I thought Aphex Twin might be the go. Stuff maybe like Thom Yorke's Eraser or Bjork's Vespertines, which I like.

If you want something different try Immortal Memory by Lisa Gerrard. The term used "ethereal" and the statement "Fans of...image-laden soundscapes of powerful quietude will have no problem making that choice." sum up this record for me. Some may say that it is not in the Electronic ambient genre but so what. It's ambient tone is superb and this is a great recording by easily the most underrated singer/songwriter and that this country has ever produced. It may be hard to find in record shops but you know what to do;)

If you want something different try Immortal Memory by Lisa Gerrard. The term used "ethereal" and the statement "Fans of...image-laden soundscapes of powerful quietude will have no problem making that choice." sum up this record for me. Some may say that it is not in the Electronic ambient genre but so what. It's ambient tone is superb and this is a great recording by easily the most underrated singer/songwriter and that this country has ever produced. It may be hard to find in record shops but you know what to do;)

hmmmmm I couldn't find samples of that specific album on itunes, but there was some other stuff... it sounded a bit like Enya, and I like her, but I think I am looking for more electronic music...

hmmmmm I couldn't find samples of that specific album on itunes, but there was some other stuff... it sounded a bit like Enya, and I like her, but I think I am looking for more electronic music...

Samples of Lisa Gerrard on itunes do you mean? I guess Enya is an Ok comparison. I only know Watermark and a few later singles and sound tracks to be honest though I do like her. I know a bit of Clannard. Lisa Gerrard has a much more diverse sound over the full spectrum of her career than I suspect that Enya may have plus a voice that moves heaven and earth when in full flight. But that is not what you are after. I have suggested Future Sound of London. They may be the style you want though steer clear of Dead Cities, very dark and foreboding, and I would also recommend some Orb and some Orbital. Board Of Canada are interesting. Check out David Sylvian of Japan fame. He had some good stuff released as well. Was very avant garde in the ambient genre at times and a follower of Eno. Air was also mentioned. They can be be very ambient electronically at times though they are also very melodic and do head down a more "commercial" path at times. Thats not criticism as I love Air and have everything. Parts of Moon Safari and Talkie Walkie would appeal I would think. Also they put out a rather good EP called Premiers Symptomes that I picked up for $10.
Happy hunting:thumbsu:

Try "Blue Lines" by Massive Attack. Has a similar sort of feel to those artists you mentioned.

I dig "Mezzanine" as well, another great album. Blue Lines probably just shades it though.

Straying a bit further from electronica, Portishead are similar to Massive Attack in some ways.

Love them both but they are very different as you would agree:). I guess that Mezzanine is a bit dark at times and Blue Lines lighter. I like Protection as well. A very underrated record. I have tried to like 100th Window but it just does not do it for me. Even though they are very influential I suspect that they will in the future struggle for recognition sadly.

Dummy is a magnificent album. Very much in the ambient genre of the Trip hop style. Her almost melancholy vocals make this a wonderful debut. What happened to Postishead?

I like a bit of Faithless as well. I think that they crossed over from that Trip hop style that M/attack and P/head pioneered and have added at times ambiance and dance pop to that style. I liked Reverence and Sunday 8pm a lot. I thought that Outrespective was an abject failure. The fairly recent To All New Arrivals is at times a fine record but tries to be just a bit to clever at times and has some good songs ruined by some crudeish sound bites that do not work.

Have a listen to Thievery Corporation if you what some nice tunes. They have a slightly different sound on all there albums but still very distinctive.
I remember when a friend came to stay for the weekend and she had just picked up The Richest Man In Babylon. She wacked it on the stereo and it played all weekend on repeat by mistake. It was the beginning for me of electronic music and now i listen to a very wide range. Everything from Chill Ambient to Drum and Bass. Now my favorite genre is Breakbeat. And my favorite artist at the moment is Krafty Kuts very cool funky stuff you can really boogie to.:thumbsu:

I love Aphex Twin's better work, but can't stand some of his other. I grew up on his "classics" album. I once saw him live in a 'Aphex Twin & friends' tour around Europe and when he played 'Polynomial-C' he got this never ending standing ovation, that was a magical moment.

Matthew Herbert is also one to check out. You might want to read about him on wikipedia first, because he's been releasing music under 6 different names or so.

Electronica has eventually lead me to many other genres.

Some artists I'd strongly recommend are
Lemon Jelly (album Lemmonjelly.KY :thumbsu: )
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Gonzales

Genres I can't get sick of are atmospheric drum 'n bass (LTJ Bukem) and jazzstep (Roni Size, Peshay).

Have a listen to Thievery Corporation if you what some nice tunes. They have a slightly different sound on all there albums but still very distinctive.
I remember when a friend came to stay for the weekend and she had just picked up The Richest Man In Babylon. She wacked it on the stereo and it played all weekend on repeat by mistake. It was the beginning for me of electronic music and now i listen to a very wide range. Everything from Chill Ambient to Drum and Bass. Now my favorite genre is Breakbeat. And my favorite artist at the moment is Krafty Kuts very cool funky stuff you can really boogie to.:thumbsu:

I love Aphex Twin's better work, but can't stand some of his other. I grew up on his "classics" album. I once saw him live in a 'Aphex Twin & friends' tour around Europe and when he played 'Polynomial-C' he got this never ending standing ovation, that was a magical moment.

Matthew Herbert is also one to check out. You might want to read about him on wikipedia first, because he's been releasing music under 6 different names or so.

Electronica has eventually lead me to many other genres.

Some artists I'd strongly recommend are
Lemon Jelly (album Lemmonjelly.KY :thumbsu: )
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Gonzales

Genres I can't get sick of are atmospheric drum 'n bass (LTJ Bukem) and jazzstep (Roni Size, Peshay).
Love this thread. Leading me into stuff I do not know and that is nothing short of fantastic. Thanks all.

I do like Krafty Kuts a hell of a lot passthebottle though not sure he is really ambient but so what:thumbsu::). As the man himself says Krafty Kuts is a "blast blast blast".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back