AFLW Appointments and Recruiting - list in OP - now includes all recruits (updated 17/11)

Remove this Banner Ad

Former Matilda Brianna Davey waltzes off to the AFL after an offer too good to refuse

The AFL women's competition has secured its first high-profile code-hopper with Carlton achieving an in-principle agreement with international goalkeeper Brianna Davey who has chosen Australian rules football over soccer.

The Blues have offered the former Matilda a three-day-week community role and prioritised her recruitment in their five-player marquee wish-list lodged late last week with the AFL.

Carlton football boss Andrew Mackay confirmed the club had offered Davey a job and that she had finally made a call between the two football codes. "It would be excellent to get her," he said. "She's a very good player."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-wo...-to-refuse-20160704-gpyehx.html#ixzz4DXf7e0bh

There's a bit of duplication (from the clubs) among their top-five (nominated players), but not with the top two," Lethlean said.

"Most clubs have done their work to establish relationships (with certain players) and had discussions with them about joining if they were nominated.

"We will help with employment and the clubs might have arrangements in relation to jobs, either at the clubs or through their networks or state leagues.

"We still have work to do. We also have to talk to the AFLPA to make sure they're comfortable."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-05/best-women-compensated-to-move-interstate

Melbourne have confirmed that their Community Manager, Debbie Lee, will take up the role of Women's Football Operations Manager.

Debbie was formerly the VWFL President, a 300 game legend of the VWFL and is the current coach of the VU Western Spurs in the VFL Women's comp.

Collingwood have appointed Scott Gowans as head coach. One year as Vic Country Youth Girls head coach, one year as Vic Metro Youth Girls assistant coach and has been coaching Longwarry in bush footy. Good luck Magpies, you'll need it.

Collingwood have appointed Scott Gowans as head coach. One year as Vic Country Youth Girls head coach, one year as Vic Metro Youth Girls assistant coach and has been coaching Longwarry in bush footy. Good luck Magpies, you'll need it.

Can you please elaborate? Serious question. Its not a good appointment in your view?

According to the AFL website -

COLLINGWOOD is planning a four-person coaching panel for its women's team in the inaugural season of the national league.

The Magpies' coach, to be announced early next week, will be backed by three assistants, one of them female, to start preparations for the eight-team competition next February-March.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-21/four-coaches-to-lead-magpies-womens-side

Definately won't Collingwood coach next year from what I've heard. Don't know where you've heard this from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple more links, 3 female development coaches from our women's coaching program to follow. Obviously there's a lot more to each club's bid than was made public at the time of the licence announcement, I assume this program would have strengthened our bid.

The coaching group, alongside Hutchins, will select three up-and-coming female development coaches as part of the Pies’ women’s pathway program aimed to develop female coaches in Victoria.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-07-26/magpies-unveil-womens-coaches
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-07-26/the-stories-behind-the-coaches

Latest mail/rumours on Marquees:

Melbourne: Daisy Pearce (Darebin, Vic) and Melissa Hickey (Darebin, Vic)
Bulldogs: Katie Brennan (Darebin, Vic) and Ellie Blackburn (Melb Uni, Vic)
Carlton: Darcy Vescio (Darebin, Vic) and Brianna Davey (St Kilda Sharks)
Collingwood: Moana Hope (St Kilda Sharks) and ???... perhaps, WA's Emma King?

Adelaide: Kellie Gibson (ex-WA) and Chelsea Randall (Swan Districts, WA)
GWS Giants: Emma Swanson (ex-WA) and Renee Forth (Coastal Titans)
Brisbane Lions: Tayla Harris (Zillmere, Qld) and ?????
Fremantle: Sabrina Frederick-Traub (South Fremantle, WA) and Kara Donnellan (Swan Districts, WA)

Last edited:

Carlton: Darcy Vescio (Darebin, Vic) and Kara Donnellan (Swan Districts, WA)

Fremantle: Sabrina Frederick-Traub (South Fremantle, WA) and ????
So Freo has gone from strongest list to middling to poor at a stroke. Not sure how I feel about that. Firstly, Freo, so suck eggs, but then, stripping WA to prop up everywhere else?
As has been pointed out, the depth in WA while well ahead of elsewhere, is still way of Vic, and Vic look to lose no players interstate and WA a whole bunch?

Having Vic teams fill the first 4 spots on the ladder will not be good for a national comp and is now on the cards. Having 1 or 2 WA players go to interstate teams will not lift them into contention, but WA losing that many may drop us out.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Definately won't Collingwood coach next year from what I've heard. Don't know where you've heard this from.

My mistake. I was informed it was to be a former assistant coach at Youth Girls National Championships level who had gone on to become a head coach at the same level. i went for Gowans overlooking Siekman as I thought he was heading down the traditional male pathway.

My mistake. I was informed it was to be a former assistant coach at Youth Girls National Championships level who had gone on to become a head coach at the same level. i went for Gowans overlooking Siekman as I thought he was heading down the traditional male pathway.

Oh fair enough, easy to see that mistake being made!

Carlton: Darcy Vescio (Darebin, Vic) and Brianna Davey (St Kilda Sharks)

Fremantle: Sabrina Frederick-Traub (South Fremantle, WA) and Kara Donnellan (Swan Districts, WA)
Of that list there are no real surprises thus far from the Vics apart from Collingwood's #2 being up in the air still.

The surprise is WA losing maybe 5 of the exhibition game players interstate. Brings Freo back to the pack quick.
I don't think that is much of a surprise. An extra 15k plus relocation costs...if players are offered one of the marquee spots they're taking it.

So how will the draft in October work?
Will it be an open draft, where players can be drafted across the country, in the same way as the men are?
I would assume not, given that the players will not be rewarded as much as the Marquee players. Of course I don't want to lose too many more Western Australian players from my team.
But in that case, is it a draft for the single state teams, or a pre selection?

So how will the draft in October work?
Will it be an open draft, where players can be drafted across the country, in the same way as the men are?
I would assume not, given that the players will not be rewarded as much as the Marquee players. Of course I don't want to lose too many more Western Australian players from my team.
But in that case, is it a draft for the single state teams, or a pre selection?

From my understanding, It will be a state-based draft, however players are able to nominate for drafts in other states. Given the season lasts only pre-season + 8 weeks and players have jobs, most players would only nominate for their own states draft unless guaranteed selection by an interstate club should they not be chosen in their own state. Essentially Fremantle will get to pick any WA player it likes and the option of any players that choose to nominate from other states.

following

I'm compiling a list for each club: CEO, President, Coach, Captain. Of the 32 positions, I believe only 6 or 7 have been announced.

I've got Steph Chiocci down as Bulldogs captain but I'm not sure that's been confirmed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back