• Sarah Skinner
  • Tiarne Cavanagh

WCE
  • Hayley Bullas
  • Imahra Cameron
  • Emily Bennet
  • Ashleigh Gnomes

Last edited:

Hardly ideal delisting now when clubs don't know when the next season begins.

Circumstances change and current players might need to pull out later, but the clubs have already delisted players they might've otherwise kept.

Tick tock, AFL.

Hardly ideal delisting now when clubs don't know when the next season begins.

Circumstances change and current players might need to pull out later, but the clubs have already delisted players they might've otherwise kept.

Tick tock, AFL.
At this point I would be surprised to see any other start time than late August 2023 during the mens pre finals bye, as per season 7.

However the first action needed is to get a multi year CBA agreed to, defining the number of games to be played as a substantial increase in games would either mean an earlier start, later finish or both.

Will be interesting to see what happens at the hawks.
Word from Bec Goddard who I spoke to at the bnf is that the league may not require delistings for the season due to no 18 year old draft
That is interesting indeed.

I’m surprised with that they aren’t considering extending list sizes anyway which would reduce the necessitating of delisting players unless the club really wanted to. It’s not ideal that teams are having to go beyond their own list’s reserves when injuries strike.

Plus, the greater list sizes would allow a better second tier comp for those not selected in the firsts

I’m surprised with that they aren’t considering extending list sizes anyway which would reduce the necessitating of delisting players unless the club really wanted to. It’s not ideal that teams are having to go beyond their own list’s reserves when injuries strike.

Plus, the greater list sizes would allow a better second tier comp for those not selected in the firsts
Problem is there's no indication of alignment of the aflw with state leagues. Currently players on aflw lists are contracted with reserve teams of different clubs, and the league hasn't set out a plan for the next season yet

Not a delisting as such, but spoke to Leah Cutting today and she said she's working through trying to get a trade back to Adelaide just due to work commitments. She's a police officer and unfortunately her line of work (didn't go into exact role divisions) is only able to be done in Adelaide, so she said she'll be working through trying to get that trade back to either the Crows or Port. Given Port delisted McGrath though, you'd think it would be them.

Not a delisting as such, but spoke to Leah Cutting today and she said she's working through trying to get a trade back to Adelaide just due to work commitments. She's a police officer and unfortunately her line of work (didn't go into exact role divisions) is only able to be done in Adelaide, so she said she'll be working through trying to get that trade back to either the Crows or Port. Given Port delisted McGrath though, you'd think it would be them.
A trade, that's strange. Why would Port Adelaide do that when she could just nominate for the SA draft (she's out of contract, based on what I've read).

It would seem logical to me that no delistings are official until a specified date (previously 1 May), even if they've been pre-emptively announced. Hence Port might be able to trade McGrath for Cutting, pending the desire of all concerned parties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A trade, that's strange. Why would Port Adelaide do that when she could just nominate for the SA draft (she's out of contract, based on what I've read).

It would seem logical to me that no delistings are official until a specified date (previously 1 May), even if they've been pre-emptively announced. Hence Port might be able to trade McGrath for Cutting, pending the desire of all concerned parties.

I think the over-age draft is what is throwing a spanner in the works as it's prior to any football commencing. So you'd think she would just go into that and get picked up, but she was speaking about playing the SANFLW season and making her way to Port.

So you're right she didn't exactly seek a trade, Saints haven't officially cut her either.

This is what she said:

She's going to be trialed in defence this year for WWT Eagles (new club) and "hope that gives me the best shot at getting to an Adelaide club, fingers crossed".

"I was expected to play part two of the season that just went, but work wouldn't allow me to go back there to fulfil my contract because we've got critical staffing levels. Though I understand their position I am disappointed."

Hoping to step back up into either Port Adelaide and Adelaide to be able to fulfil those (work) commitments as well.

"Women's footy's not at a place where we can soley focus on one (footy and work)" and she's got maybe five years of footy left, her whole career of policing left, so better to be in Adelaide.

Effectively you could be right and would be much simpler. You would think though that if she was to be picked up, it would be in the overage draft. If she plays out the SANFLW season you'd think it would have to be via a trade then as there's no draft closer to the season.

Main message though is Cutting is going to be departing St Kilda and trying to get in at an Adelaide club.

Not a delisting as such but Ash Sharp has stepped away from football

Tigers delist Hannah Burchell
It was enormous of her to get on the list.
Worked as a paramedic down the Bellarine peninsula (Surf Coast, past Geelong) nights and then up for training and games.
Her Dad was the President of Ocean Grove FC when she was a junior, she had a really sweet kicking style.

CARLTON has delisted three players after a frustrating two-win season, including exciting small forward Poppy Schaap. Untried key defender Jess Jones and former Gold Coast midfielder Charlotte Hammans have also not been offered contracts for next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back