Are GWS contenders or pretenders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. Right now I'd summarise GWS as a team of champions with no game plan.
Our game plan works pretty good.
But as ive said on the Giants thread there does seem to a problem with the coaching and tactics.

In 5 of our biggest games there seems to be a change of tactic the completely stuns supporters.
Mids in clear area seem to be told to "go wide to the flank"with the forward entry kick.
This doesnt normally happen and our forwards get spoon fed "fast" delivery,But it does seem that the change of tactic and the forward line being overcrowded can only be some "super tactic" by the coach.

Failure this year should see Leon on the rocks.
My thoughts are another year of this and its the "Matty Primus" for our Leon.

ps.Still think the "double bye" is a bad thing for teams and could be to our advantage now that weve lost.

People ragging on GWS about having no history are plain silly.

They are creating their history right now. It takes decades to build up that type of rich history and yeah, a few flags always help.

It's always one of the dumbest arguments people bring out.

Many people posting in this thread are going to look pretty dumb, even as soon as 3 weeks time.

They have had injuries galore this year and still managed top 4, even though most are back now, they still look like a side which is spent.

They may of got a bit ahead of themselves and still need tweaking to get to where they want to be.

The no history thing is ridiculous, history is created over time, every other club in the comp was new once.

The two are in no way related.clearly. How can you pass absurd judgement without a frame of reference is beyond me.

A Dogs fan made a reasonable post and you disagreed so you bagged the Dogs. You do it a lot. Then you try to make out your different from Dogs flogs

Classic side that's been decimated with injuries all year and had players coming in and out non-stop. Accordingly cohesion suffers and it's hard to magically flick the switch in a pressure final.

Some of their team selection continues to beggar belief however. Why is Cameron obsessed with playing so many talls in slippery conditions? At least Jez Cameron is out now and they'll be forced to go smaller next time.

What a ridiculous decision to extend the coach when they did, there was absolutely no reason for it.

The club has no soul, they will win nothing with this group of players.

They need to form a list of players the conventional way, being gifted a bunch of spoon fed "elite" picks has failed along with the mindset that they can top up with the likes of Johnson and Deledio to put the cream on the premiership cake was dreaming.

Some of their team selection continues to beggar belief however. Why is Cameron obsessed with playing so many talls in slippery conditions? At least Jez Cameron is out now and they'll be forced to go smaller next time.

Lobb is very lucky Cameron went down. Shouldn't have been selected in the first place

We should be glad that Leon Cameron has no clue how to coach. He might cost the club a few of their projected flags.

I reckon this isn't right at all.

Coaching these days is a team effort, the main man has to understand trends, strategy and be a good man manager. I reckon Leon is good in these areas however I don't share the confidence in those around him.

The way GWS has been set up it has all the riches talent wise you can ask for and is a peasant in terms of coaching resources. We have a bunch of L Platers assisting him with only Alan McConnell having any real experience. That just won't cut it, particularly with this group.

We started to develop som bad habits in 2015, these got more prevalent last year and have been really common in 17'.

There is more emphasis on Instagram accounts then defensive pressure. We probably don't have the right balance and need to shed some blokes that only want to do the flashy stuff.

I reckon if Leon could get some quality experienced help particularly in defence he can be like Hardwick and really get the best out of these boys but if it is left we can descend into Gold Coast Part 2 pretty quickly.

They could still easily win a premiership this year. Port/ West coast at home no dramas. Geelong at the MCG. Doable.

For GWS there are no former greats around the club, no old trainers who've cooked sausages or washed jumpers for 40 years, no sons of former players, no past presidents who talk constantly about the old days, no comparisons of current players with former greats. It must be cold, ice cold, in the GWS rooms. No soul. It cannot be bought, it can only be earned over long years of hopes, disappointments and successes. Step by step.
A. Still pretenders.

Luke Hodge is the special guest at a formal breakfast they are putting on in a week or 2.

Not sure we would go for Roo or Stevie J or one of the other non Hawk retirees for ours...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Leon isn't the man to take your side to a flag then who is?

From last night Don Pyle had The Giants worked out early and little was changed in the GWS coaches box

I wouldn't go too negative on Patton - he's a damned good player and Adelaide have a cracking defense. Lobb on the other hand - promises a lot but delivers far too little. 14 goals this year is laughable - playing in that forward line getting the 3rd best defender each week. If he's not taking contested marks he's basically not doing anything useful. Honestly besides being really tall he doesn't bring a lot to the table.

Anyway I do reckon that massive injuries list has taken its toll a bit on this team over the course of the year. In addition I'm really noticing how much their mature players have fallen away. Shaw is not the same as previous years. Johnson is completely past it. Mumford has struggled a lot more this year other than being aggressive. Deledio never got a fair run at it due to injuries.

I don't think they will make it past the prelim stage this year but I do think they will beat Port/Eagles winner.

Probably a big reason for the difference between the team that smashed Sydney a year ago and this year's.

After tonight's performance I actually have some confidence against them IF we get over Port. Remember our record against them. Amazingly a prelim final for the Eagles isn't too far fetched.

What a ridiculous decision to extend the coach when they did, there was absolutely no reason for it.

The club has no soul, they will win nothing with this group of players.

They need to form a list of players the conventional way, being gifted a bunch of spoon fed "elite" picks has failed along with the mindset that they can top up with the likes of Johnson and Deledio to put the cream on the premiership cake was dreaming.
Was about to post exactly the same thing.

And in order to help them transition, North is willing to take a hit for them and take Josh Kelly off their hands.

The usual internet tough guy talking out of his arse again..

All last night was bad tactics. No plan B.

Leon has no A grade talent in the assistants coachs area.

The bullshit about heart soul plastic is just the usual bs from the usual know nothing culprits protected by their buddies.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone should really be surprised, their form has been patchy all year. They got lucky finishing top 4 with a few close wins and drew/lost some ordinary games throughout the season. If Sydney didn't start the way they did then it would've been an elimination final first up. I think they're clearly behind Crows, Cats and Sydney and about on par with Richmond. Will probably still make a prelim but no hope at winning away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back